Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 45acp to 9mm conversion...

MuayThaiJJ

Yes - I know, another thread on this. I've read a lot on this. And I know the popular answer is to get a new upper entirely. But...

I live in CA where handguns, let alone 2011's are VERY rare.

I have access to a 2011 in 45acp. Ramped barrel.

I would like to use the same slide - it is a sexy polished slide.

I know the breech face is different, about 0.065" in diameter.

So, I've also read some people that have successfully converted their 45acp to 9mm with new barrel, ejector, extractor, firing pin, RS, and MS.

My question is - what if an Aftec extractor was tuned so it bent as much as possible help extract the casing? And all the regular conversion parts were also installed - could one utilize the existing slide? Has anyone here successfully done this?

thanks

N

No, the 9mm case is not going to work.

The distance between the left side wall of the breech and the hole for the extractor is to large.

If the STI 45 has a ramped bbl you're 3/4 of the way there.

Get a complete slide from Remsport with the correct ramped bbl and have it fitted!

Go stainless so you don't have to refinish.

you'll need a 9mm slide stop and ejector also

Edited by jcc7x7

The people that say they "successfully converted", do they shoot matches with these guns and not have problems?  Or is it "I read somewhere on some forums I fogot that a friend of a friend did it and it worked"?

prolly the latter lol yeah I’m gonna abandon the idea. I was up late again trying to find another complicated problem for me solve. I’ve done the 10mm to 9mm, the 38super to 9 and 380. Was warned against both but got all to run flawlessly after tuning. The challenge would be 45 to 9...

Even if you get the extractor over far enough to contact the case, all it's going to do is push it over to the side because the rim's not contacting the slide and there's nothing holding it in place.  If you want to do some welding and machining on the slide, you can probably make it work.  But it'd be a lot easier and cheaper to get new parts than to go that route unless you have the tools and skills to do the work yourself. 

The extractor would be the trick.  You could screw or drive in a stud to narrow the breech face on the left side, or even put in a screw like a Peter Stahl Omega second type.  

Even if you could do the machine work, would SVI sell you the right width breech face?

Well, yes, they will:

https://infinity.americommerce.com/extractor-interchangeable-breechface-with-screw.aspx

Edited by Jim Watson