Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617 10rd 22lr in 6 inch barrel

Scouting

I’m kicking around the idea of an optic on top of a S&W 617 22lr 10rd Revolver. Do you know if it cowitness with the upgraded site from LPA. The LPA has a short rail on it. I am guessing it must work together as a package. Any comments welcome. Thanks. 

I've tried the Vortex Venom and the C-More Railway and neither one would let me co witness.  I used Allchin mounts for both dots.  I  would also add some DS-10 speed loaders to your inventory.  They help a lot when loading between stages or just for a long day at  the range.

Here's my 617 with the C-More.  

617 wtih new DS-10s.jpg

1 hour ago, Scouting said:

I’m kicking around the idea of an optic on top of a S&W 617 22lr 10rd Revolver. Do you know if it cowitness with the upgraded site from LPA. The LPA has a short rail on it. I am guessing it must work together as a package. Any comments welcome. Thanks. 

I can possibly understand the desire for co witness sights on a carry gun maybe. 

For any kind of a game gun with a dot having back up sights causes 1 of 2 things to happen. 1, you use the sights to find the dot causing you to not be 100% target focused and as a result you are massively slower than you would be without using them. 2, you see the fiber in your front sight and think its the dot and miss what your aiming at, I have seen this happen several times.

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

I've tried the Vortex Venom and the C-More Railway and neither one would let me co witness.  I used Allchin mounts for both dots.  I  would also add some DS-10 speed loaders to your inventory.  They help a lot when loading between stages or just for a long day at  the range.

Here's my 617 with the C-More.  

617 wtih new DS-10s.jpg

Thank you sir. I did get the beez loaders and man are they nice. Never knew a 22 could be so much fun. 

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

I can possibly understand the desire for co witness sights on a carry gun maybe. 

For any kind of a game gun with a dot having back up sights causes 1 of 2 things to happen. 1, you use the sights to find the dot causing you to not be 100% target focused and as a result you are massively slower than you would be without using them. 2, you see the fiber in your front sight and think its the dot and miss what your aiming at, I have seen this happen several times.

I can absolutely see that. Great point. It’s a 22 so mostly shooting steel and such. Maybe use it here and there for small game.  If I put the optic on I was thinking I loose my iron sights? 

2 hours ago, mvmojo said:

Lose the iron sights... you'll never miss them!  Unless it's a carry gun I don't see any reason for co-witness or back-up irons.  Dots are very reliable now-a-days.

Take a look at what I have. What do you think will be the smallest but reliable site? 

The better / more expensive dots tend to be brighter and more durable with better warranties. but for a 22 the durability is almost a non issue because of almost no recoil, that said I have a couple Delta Point Pro that I like, and the Sig sights are very nice as well, for a 22 play gun I would look at a Burris fast fire or Vortex for the price.