Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cdp and single stack build

thor0812

Just picked up a great deal range officer as a platform for a single stack/cdp gun. Planning on Ice magwell and fiber optic sight and vz grips. Other than the usual polishing/spring tuning, what are some other mods that you more experienced in this class would advise? Certain triggers, guide rods, slide stops etc?

Egw ignition set

Wilson flgr if you can make wgt with it.  It will in 45

Dawson ice or ipsc magwell/ msh

Possibly wilson mag release with paddle. Ok in ss but not cdp.

I run a Wilson extractor and their mag release. The mag button has a crown you can use for USPSA or take off for IDPA. I also use tech well grips and mag well with Dawson base pads on my major and minor guns. What caliber will your build be? I assume.45, but I am seeing lots of guys using .40 now since you can load it to major or minor and you don’t have to worry about large vs small primers. 

If your RO is one that uses the ELS system, convert the MSH to GI spec internals and use a 19 lb. mainspring.  You can go lighter if you lose the Ti firing pin.  That will cure the trigger and it will smooth out to about a 3-3.5 lb. pull after about 500 rounds.  Otherwise, don't change any of the internals until they wear out.  They are MIM, but high quality MIM.  Then buy the three things you mentioned and be done with it.  It is always a good idea to shoot a new (to you) gun for a while while you decide what, if any, changes you want to make.

My MixMaster A is mostly SA parts, including hammer, sear, disconnector.

Colt sear spring, the SA was so rough and sharp it was gouging the disconnector.

EGW extractor, the SA would not hold tension.

10-8 slide stop; my fault, the SA was giving premature slide lock and I filed to prevent that but took off too much.

Smith Alexander mag well funnel, ILS eliminator.

Steel firing pin, titanium eliminator.

FLGR, my gunsmith likes them.

Pachmayr wraparound grip, been using them since before frontstrap checkering became common, just used to it.  

My Range Officer needed only a polishing of the internals (including contact surfaces of the sear spring) while swapping the ILS mainspring housing to a polymer unit and a Techwell grip and magwell allowed me to use an EGW tungsten FLGR and still make weight. A Dawson fiber optic front sight and flat trigger were personal preferences. It works well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my stimulus check the day after I got the gun and that wasn't a good combo lol. I went with a Brazos ignition set with the disconnector, Dawson ice magwell, Dawson front sight and full length ss guide rod with 14 lb Wolf spring. Swapped the Ti pin for steel firing pin, fit new firing pin stop with wolf firing pin spring and Ed Brown extractor.  Full polish job throughout and finished off with a set of VZ operator 2 grips. On my trigger scale its pulling 1lb 13oz with a crisp break.  Have only had a chance to fire 50 rounds but have had 0 malfunctions using 230grn rn BBI over 4.2 grn of titegroup. Guns operates very smoothly already and expect the operation and trigger to get better with time