Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All, I’m fairly new to reloading. Last year I was able to pick up a super 1050 and began loading 40s&w and 9mm. Ive decided it’s time to start loading up some 10mm for my long slide 1911s. 
I’ll be using new Armscor brass, 180gr blue bullets RNFP over 5.4-6gr Titegroup (published load data). Is there anything I need to know, or advice, or something you learned while loading 10mm that may not apply for 40s&w?

I’ll be loading for a Para Elite Hunter Longslide and a Springfield TRP. 

Thanks in advance. 

Usually slower burning powders than TG for the 10mm

TG is fine for light loads

To get the velocity that the 10mm is famous for, you need slower powders.

AA9, Bluedot etc 

Thanks Jc, Midway has some HS6 and CFE Pistol available. From the hornady load data they should yield the upper end velocity the 10mm is known for. Any experience with with of those?

HS6 in 38 super for major.

But look at the information in the loading books. I like to use the powder that provides the most velocity with the lowest pressure.

Roger. I didn’t think to look at the pressure. Thanks. Looks like CFE pistol yields the most velocity and has the lowest pressure. I ordered some and will try it out. 

TG throws off pressure spikes and I don't use it (it also hasn't been all that accurate in any of my loads).

Next, you're looking at jacketed bullet data for a lead bullet. You may want to start a bit lower. My data shows 180gn lead bullets and TiteGroup starting at 3.7gn and MAX at 5.1gn.

Finally, is this the only powder you have? Any powder from AA5 to AA9 would be better.

Oh, sorry, forgot this was an action pistol sight. So, if looking for PF, I would still look for any other fast powder, with AA2 and 231/HP38 being my initial choice. 

However, with powder being unavailable, just be careful and be sure to use the right loading data.

Edited by noylj

I had some IMR 7625 (now discontinued) that makes a nice 1050 load with 165-180 coated bullets. Win 244 seems to work as good with lighter loads too. For full power stuff #9 gives me the best velocity with accuracy. I tried Longshot but accuracy just wasn’t as good and Blue Dot just didn’t give me the velocity as did #9. But honestly I didn’t really wring out the BD loads because #9 gave me what I needed easily. 

Edited by Farmer

I just did a powder inventory, so far I’ve got: titegroup, Longshot, HS6, Power Pistol,  PB, WAC & bullseye.

Full disclosure I got this 1050 used with a TON of powder, primers, etc...my only experience is loading 40s&w for major PF for a 2011, and 9mm for a Glock 19.

If there’s a powder y’all recommend I’m all ears. Also, magnum LPP? Any difference other than hardness? 

Hopefully you have a Chrono where you can see what the powders are doing with Velocity, Std Dev and Ext spread.

Those things will tell you which is the most consistent and stable loads.

Of the powders you have on hand I'd start with HS6, Power pistol and WAC.

Look at the reloading tables , build some ladder loads and test.

Is et my chrono up so it aligns with my targets so I can test for accuracy as well as getting the chrono info.

For me it makes a nice relaxing day at the range.  I wind up with alot of info and targets to mull over that night.

I look for 1. Stable load, 2. accuracy 3. Velocity

I will glad sacrifice 50fps for a stable accurate load.

FWIW

good fortune

I use Longshot for high end loads in 10mm using 180-200 gr. bullets. It is the right burning rate and since it is a ball powder it works well in my Dillon's. You will easily find published data out there for it. 

2 hours ago, TheHooter said:

Yep I’ve got a chrono. When you mention load stability are you talking about temp sensitivity? 

That and consistency. Low ES & SD. But on another note I’ve had loads that had lousy SD but were accurate. Go figure. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Blue Dot is good, especially for top end loads, it meters pretty well for a flake powder. I just picked up some AA#9, but haven't tried out any 10mm yet. My go to powder for everything is Power Pistol - from 45 Colt to 9mm. It works well with 10mm from moderate to just short of maximum loads. I load 165 gr. with Power Pistol for ICORE matches (1omm revolver) with a power factor of 125.

It provides good power with lower psi but don’t fall in love with it as it’s been discontinued. Hodgdon may replace it with a more enviro friendly powder or just use Longshot or maybe Blue to replace it. 

Edited by Farmer