Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need to spray paint over plastic and hold up over time!

2 minutes ago, Atlasguy321 said:

I have a CR speed WSM2 holster and it’s a green body. I want a black body but don’t want to buy one so I was thinking about just getting some spray paint or other kind of paint.  What do you guys suggest? 

Make sure to read the can. Typical spray paint won’t stick to plastic. Make sure it’s made to adhere to plastic specifically

You may want to check out RC car body paints. They are designed to stick to Plastic Lexan bodies. I think they have paint designed for hard plastic bodies that might work better than normal rattle can paints. I have no affiliations with any of these companies. I used to race RC Cars. 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/paints/

Edited by Boomstick303

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

You may want to check out RC car body paints. They are designed to stick to Plastic Lexan bodies. I think they have paint designed for hard plastic bodies that might work better than normal rattle can paints. I have no affiliations with any of these companies. I used to race RC Cars. 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/paints/

Those are just overpriced paint/primer combination paint. I have used many a can of those to spray paint my RC truggies/buggy using my Iwata until I came across those prime/paint combo paints. They’re great for use as base coat. Cheap and works just as good.

The key is preparation. Make sure you scuff the surface with 0000 steel wool and wipe it clean with a rag saturated in either acetone (Home Depot has the them too) or at least 90% alcohol.

Just a few examples:

61460-AA2-D0-E1-43-AF-B8-AB-FAFF1167-A81

4-E84-AC8-A-5-BC2-4-FA9-8-FCE-5-AD23-E65

9-CD4-DE71-EAA1-409-A-9-BBC-8-BB99-A28-F

Edited by George16
Spelling

49 minutes ago, George16 said:

Those are just overpriced paint/primer combination paint. I have used many a can of those to spray paint my RC truggies/buggy using my Iwata until I came across those prime/paint combo paints. They’re great for use as base coat. Cheap and works just as good.

The key is preparation. Make sure you scuff the surface with 0000 steel wool and wipe it clean with a rag saturated in either acetone (Home Depot has the them too) or at least 90% alcohol.

Just a few examples:

61460-AA2-D0-E1-43-AF-B8-AB-FAFF1167-A81

4-E84-AC8-A-5-BC2-4-FA9-8-FCE-5-AD23-E65

9-CD4-DE71-EAA1-409-A-9-BBC-8-BB99-A28-F

HA! I raced RC buggies for a very short time years ago. Funny how any hobby can become a money pit! 

• 2 weeks later...

As Farmer stated, Krylon Fusion works very well on plastics. I have used it an many gun stocks and it holds up suprisingly well. I have never scuffed up any of the surfaces. I just cleaned the hell out of it to make sure any and all dust or oils are off before spraying it. Prep is the key. Good luck.