Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide lightening regrets?

Fearless4x4

I have a Shadow 2 I'm fixing to send off to get milled for an SRO.  I think I've decided on Primary Machine to do it.  Heard lots of good reviews from the quality of their work.

My question however is based on slide weight.  I'm debating on the Harbinger V1 cuts and can't decide if i should jump in all the way and have it done all at the same time...  Or just have the optic milled and see how it feels before removing any more weight.

Anyone ever have regrets after putting the slide on a diet?  Am I over thinking it?  Just hate to make a 1000 dollar mistake if I don't like the way the recoil feels and have to replace the slide, and start from scratch.

Edited by Fearless4x4

Have only seen a few times when slide lightening changed the feel of the cycling enough to be detrimental. 

bruce has been doing that cut for a few years now and haven’t heard anything bad about performance.

You are adding more weight to the slide than you are removing with the sight milling.  That will slow the action a little.  My practice is to lighten the slide by the same amount of weight I am adding to it.  Do it in a balanced manner.  There is plenty of meat in a CZ slide.  The V1 cuts look nice and are nicely placed.  You've picked a good optic.  Go for it.  If it makes you feel any better, I had my TS slide lightened and loved it.  My 2011 and most of the 1911 slides are lightened.  Zero problems and absolutely no regrets.  Would I do it again?  In a heartbeat.

17 hours ago, Fearless4x4 said:

I have a Shadow 2 I'm fixing to send off to get milled for an SRO.  I think I've decided on Primary Machine to do it.  Heard lots of good reviews from the quality of their work.

My question however is based on slide weight.  I'm debating on the Harbinger V1 cuts and can't decide if i should jump in all the way and have it done all at the same time...  Or just have the optic milled and see how it feels before removing any more weight.

Anyone ever have regrets after putting the slide on a diet?  Am I over thinking it?  Just hate to make a 1000 dollar mistake if I don't like the way the recoil feels and have to replace the slide, and start from scratch.

If I were in your shoes I would do it. As an alternative have you check out some of the fire 4 effects work. Alot of people have seemed to by going to them as well.

I had my Shadow 2 millled by Fire 4 Effects in 2019, before the rule change to 59 oz.  In addition to lightening the slide, F4E also mills in two mounting blocks for the Trijicon pattern optic screws (RDOM).  Not sure how CGW or PM does it, but I think the reason F4E does their RDOMs mount is to create a little more width in the slide to accept the mounting screws.  Ended up with 44.1 oz weight w/ mag + TT1 extension.  

This year I set up a second Shadow 2 for Carry Optics, went with F4E again with the same lightening cuts and RDOM to make it an identical twin to the first gun.   There are probably cheaper options out there, but I had really good results with my first one, very much like F4E’s work, and plus it looks badazz.  No regrets.  

I liked mine so much I had my other gun sent off to get it done also.  

They get the SRO so far down into the slide you can see light under the hood but can’t put a business card between the hood and the slide.29A5F0C6-B5FE-4A93-8D4B-9570115B1796-sca

Edited by Kirkster
Typo

Overall, no regrets but the side window cut across front serrations makes a cheese grater out of them. Even softening edges with a file still makes me wanting a less sharp edge. Doing it again, I may have chosen a different way of doing that part.

11 hours ago, Kirkster said:

I liked mine so much I had my other gun sent off to get it done also.  

They get the SRO so far down into the slide you can see light under the hood but can’t put a business card between the hood and the slide.29A5F0C6-B5FE-4A93-8D4B-9570115B1796-sca

This is gorgeous is this from primary or f4e?

10 hours ago, YVK said:

Overall, no regrets but the side window cut across front serrations makes a cheese grater out of them. Even softening edges with a file still makes me wanting a less sharp edge. Doing it again, I may have chosen a different way of doing that part.

I have never noticed the cheese grater effect.  But then again I have alligator skin in general so no regrets for me.

15 hours ago, broadside72 said:

if you don't ever plan on competing with the gun, do as you please. But if you think you may compete, read up on the rules of the division/game to see if it be a legal modification

Isn’t slide lightening and milling for an optic legal in carry optics division although I don’t think it matters anymore since they changed the weight but I could be wrong

5 hours ago, AngeloConde said:

Isn’t slide lightening and milling for an optic legal in carry optics division although I don’t think it matters anymore since they changed the weight but I could be wrong

you can mill for an optic and some lightening but no ports/holes. That is USPSA, but I don't know about IPSC, IDPA, or other games

49 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

you can mill for an optic and some lightening but no ports/holes. That is USPSA, but I don't know about IPSC, IDPA, or other games

False.

Milled holes are allowed in both production and carry optics for USPSA. 

17 hours ago, robb315 said:

False.

Milled holes are allowed in both production and carry optics for USPSA. 

I thought it was factory holes were okay but milling them was not. Looks like I was wrong.

However the original point of checking the rules of whatever game you are going to play before you mill is smart.