Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide rod options for DW PM9?

ts199982

I picked up a 2020 model Dan Wesson PM9, and it has a GI guide rod and plug. It is different than all my other 1911s and 2011s, so would like to switch to a FLGR, or Dawson Tool-less guide rod. Other than it being the only GI guide rod that I would have, the bushing is pretty tight so it makes reassemble kind of hard for me, to press the plug and get the bushing wrench on at the same time to turn the bushing. 

I searched here and on the web, could not find the answer as to whether the Dawson Precision Tool-less guide rod would work, the ones I have are bull barrel models, and the bushing one I have a for a 5.4". 

Curious what others have installed on the DW PM9s. My goal would be to order a Dawson Tool-less bushing 5". found one post somewhere that said that it would not fit on his.

When you disassemble you will, pull the slide bbl assy off and then pull the guide rod out from underneath with the spring and plug all together.

If you need to change the recoil spring it can be CAREFULLY done while out of the gun.  Safety glasses and very carefully.  Remember it's only 9-11 lbs of recoil spring pressure .  So it's not a lot of force.

So pick a Dawson or any type with a hole drilled through it for a paper clip to hold it in place

1 hour ago, Nc1911 said:

I just installed a Dawson tool-less guide rod in my PM9. Take down is super easy.

Make sure you order the one for bushing barrels, the Bull barrel model will not work.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear. My guess is that it would work, the PM9 seem to be pretty standard 1911. I ordered one yesterday and have two guns that need one, but wanted to see if others were using the Dawson or not. Guess I should have ordered two to save the shipping, oh well the other is a FLGR so I use the paper clip.

I found the GI is easier if I can get the bushing turned and set on the edge of the plug, then finish it with the bushing wrench. I can see where guys think the GI rod is easiest to use, but for me it is the only gun like that and I wanted to have some consistency. 

Thanks all

Edited by ts199982

Hey would you be willing to weight your PM9 for me? I have one on order and want to order the guide rod, magwell and thumb safetys for it. I usually run a tungsten guide rod and want to make sure there is enough weight to do that. 

My pm9 with Dawson tool-less guide rod, Lok grips, Dawson magwell and Dawson magazine weighs 42.8 oz.

I was over weight with Techwell grips and magwell due to the stock steel pm9 mainspring housing, that is very heavy.

I am sorry to say I never weighed the gun stock, but I was told it was more than my Springfield loaded.

Edited by Nc1911
Addition

8 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Hey would you be willing to weight your PM9 for me? I have one on order and want to order the guide rod, magwell and thumb safetys for it. I usually run a tungsten guide rod and want to make sure there is enough weight to do that. 

Not a problem, I added a Dawson mainspring housing and magwell, but have the stock parts and can convert it back to stock, even with stock grips, and weigh it on my wife's food scale, which should be pretty accurate. I will get back with you. I think any 9mm 1911 is tough to make USPSA weight, especially with a tungsten guide rod.

Does the PM9 have the goofy retained spring plug like my Valors...where the plug cannot come out the rear of the slide channel, only the front?  I've had no other 1911 with this "feature."  (Baers, STIs, modern Colts, SAs, and even an S&W.)  It seems like inability to remove plug from the rear would prohibit using the dawson tool-less as intended.

For my GI guiderod guns (Valors), I takedown using my spare hand to keep the spring in place during slide removal.  Once it's off, I carefully remove spring and guidrod.  Once that's out, you can use fingers or wrench to remove bushing and plug.  Reassembly is the reverse.  This keeps you from having to press the plug into place with spring pressure behind it and then having to do the bushing/wrench dance without launching the plug.

Edited by johnmyster

10 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Here are the numbers from my scale, with factory mainspring housing and grips, basically a factory 2020 model gun with GI guide rod.

37.80 oz. factory gun only. 40.85 oz. with a empty Tripp Research 10 round magazine.

Additional info:

1.75 oz  factory mainspring housing 

.85 oz dawson mainspring housing

The pm9 doesn’t have a shoulder in the slide to limit the retaining plug, my Springfield does have this shoulder. Some people have removed the shoulder in the slide but I am not going there yet.

4 hours ago, Nc1911 said:

The pm9 doesn’t have a shoulder in the slide to limit the retaining plug, my Springfield does have this shoulder. Some people have removed the shoulder in the slide but I am not going there yet.

Is the Springfield that has that the Loaded 9mm Target model? Mine has a two piece guide rod, that I would like to get rid of some day. Just curious.

7 hours ago, ts199982 said:

Here are the numbers from my scale, with factory mainspring housing and grips, basically a factory 2020 model gun with GI guide rod.

37.80 oz. factory gun only. 40.85 oz. with a empty Tripp Research 10 round magazine.

Additional info:

1.75 oz  factory mainspring housing 

.85 oz dawson mainspring housing

Awesome. Think I'm going to do dawson magwell, and tooless guide rod. And call it good. 

32 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

Awesome. Think I'm going to do dawson magwell, and tooless guide rod. And call it good. 

I will have the Dawson Tool-less guide rod this week, ordered it this past weekend. Already have the Dawson magwell and mainspring, comes as a kit. I will let know, but weight should be below 43 oz with a magazine for sure! I will update the thread on how the install of the tool-less guide rod goes.

6 hours ago, ts199982 said:

I will have the Dawson Tool-less guide rod this week, ordered it this past weekend. Already have the Dawson magwell and mainspring, comes as a kit. I will let know, but weight should be below 43 oz with a magazine for sure! I will update the thread on how the install of the tool-less guide rod goes.

Awesome. Looking forward to what it weighs. 

On 1/5/2021 at 2:29 AM, Bakerjd said:

Awesome. Looking forward to what it weighs. 

So the DW PM-9 with the Dawson Tool-less guide rod, plug and spring installed, weighs 

(includes that I have a Dawson Precision ICE Magwell and Alum Mainspring housing kit installed)

(also includes factory grips)

38.55 oz. 

With a 10 round Tripp Research Magazine

41.65 oz.

With a 10 round Dawson Precision Magazine

41.70 oz.

With VZ grips

39.45 oz.

With a 10 round Tripp Research Magazine

42.55 oz.

With a 10 round Dawson Precision Magazine

42.60 oz.