Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Single Stack magwell?

Unicorn187

Personally I found the ICE too wide and it kept messing me up on reloads. I like to get my grip back by sliding my WH up and around the magwell as I seat a mag. The ICE seemed to hang me up all the time.

I have a Techwell IPSC shorty right now and I wish it was just a bit deeper. I'm not going to be shooting IPSC ever again (lol @ vaccine passports) so a slightly bigger magwell would suit me. 

If width is your criterion, go ICE all the way.

I've used the Infinity one linked above, the XL Techwell, and the Dawson Ice. My SS guns all have Dawson magwells now as I liked it best of those three.

If SS were my main game I would have the Stan Chen Gen2 Magwell installed on my pistols.  I might have it installed on one this spring regardless.

I think a SS magwell's principal advantage is not in adding width to the opening, but in straightening the magazine should it hit the opening at an off angle. To this end, I want a very deeply blended magwell more than one which is wider than the grips.

Just installed a Dawson Precision ICE magwell with mainspring housing yesterday. Also have Techwell IPSC XT, and a Smith & Alexander on another 1911. I like the Dawson the best, for sure the has the most width, the Techwell is a for sure fit the IPSC box, and the S&A is the best fit one, welded and fit to mainspring housing at SA Custom shop. 

So if someone else is doing the work, you probably have lots of options, the mentioned Infinity would be a great choice if money was not problem, you did say BEST. :)

I've tried all the techwell ones, dawson ICE and IPSC, S&A, and the SVI one. My personal favorite is the S&A. But for sure need to blend it. I'd try a stan chen but he doesnt have one with arched MSH.

Thought I would snap a picture of the three I mentioned, so you can compare the size. Left to Right, S&A, Dawson, Techwell XT.

Like BadLuck2 mentioned in his post, the inserts are a big plus in the Dawson.

all.jpg

3 hours ago, Dranoel said:

I've been happy enough with the integral funnel on my Race Ready frame. But that's only an option on Caspian frames.

DSCN1352.JPG

Always wondered if people used those for USPSA type builds. Looks good. 

26 minutes ago, Unicorn187 said:

Does anyone have any experience with the Stan Chen magwells? Pics? What mags/basepads do you use? 

I have a little. Installing one, or at least his first design, requires cutting the bottom of the grip up I belive about 1/4" and welding the magwell on. Then a lot of blending. Recoat frame. Once done, if done right it is awesome if you dont want an arched MSH. Base pad choice isnt restricted. Personally if I wanted a weld on style magwell I would go with the EGW one. It doesnt restrict the MSH you can use. This is my personal opinion though. 

Edited by Bakerjd
More detail

Another version of the Dawson to consider: Magwell 1911 IPSC Classic Division
It's low profile version that's a little shallower than the Ice model. No insert, but the depth difference can help when seating mags.

13 hours ago, tbarker13 said:

Another version of the Dawson to consider: Magwell 1911 IPSC Classic Division
It's low profile version that's a little shallower than the Ice model. No insert, but the depth difference can help when seating mags.

This was huge for me. I kept not seating mags. Switched to the IPSC version and no more issues. Also tried the s&a and was not a fan. 

28 minutes ago, echotango said:

This was huge for me. I kept not seating mags. Switched to the IPSC version and no more issues. Also tried the s&a and was not a fan. 

Same thing here. That little extra leverage with the basepads eliminated a problem I was having with seating mags on the fly.