Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 super problem priming .223

Using a Dillon 1050 Super.  Made 1300 rounds. 

Issue: on the average, one in 50 rounds of .223 has primer issues, such as crushed, distorted were the skirt has been smeared, no primer, the crushed primer falls out on the bench and one detonation. 

I have made .223 cutaways so that I can see the swaging ram enter the primer pocket

I also purchased a primer pocket gauge.  Using crimped military 223 rounds, the pockets will not accept the gauge probe, after swaging the go gauge fully enters the primer pocket. 

I have used two different brands of primers, Winchester SRP and CCI’s 450.  Same issue with each. 

The follower in the primer tube does not always fall when a primer is taken from the stack in the tube. 

I took the primer tube out and ran q-tips with alcohol thru the tube. Very little residue was seen. 

I have noticed that the guide pin to the right of the crimp station slightly moves the shellplate and I can’t be sure that the primer punch is exactly centered under the brass primer pocket and there could be a tolerance stack up issue.  I was able to put a dial micrometer to the shellplate the guide pin deflected the shellplate .005 clockwise. 

What else can be done?

If the white case locator tab is not adjusted correctly it can cause problem such as you describe.

Make sure the knurled cap at the top of the primer magazine is not too tight. Just tighten until you just start to feel resistance; then STOP. That's all you need.

Make sure the blue plastic feed tip at the base of the mag tube is not damaged.

My gut reaction is that your shell plate deflection is not excessive.

All my shell plates deflect somewhat. I agree excessive deflection would not be good.

I'd check the positioning provided by that locator tab and adjust as per the manual.

Here are some tips for dealing with similar behaviors taken from the manual.

Note the directions for the locator tab towards the end.

Station 4: Priming Problems
1.) Crushed primers:
a.) Swage rod (#20314 - large or #20313 - small)
not adjusted correctly, dirty or worn out.
b.) Dirt in the shellplate (#12600*).
c.) Ringed Primer. When a spent primer has been
pierced by the decapping pin leaving a ring of metal
from the primer in the pocket.
d.) Primer station locator button (#20637*) not
adjusted correctly.
e.) Chipped or worn primer punch (#12849).
f.) Bench that the machine is mounted on is not
rigid enough. This can be corrected by affixing a board
to both the wall and your casefeed bowl.
g.) Hot loaded ammo that has been fired several
times and the base of the case has been flattened out.
2.) High primers:
a.) Adjust the primer push rod (#12819).
b.) On .223 cases the swage backup rod (#13332) is
down too far, slightly collapsing the primer pocket and
not allowing the primer to seat fully.
c.) Loose shellplate (#12600*).
d.) Erratic handle motion.
e.) Do not remove the rubber piece on the
primer slide.
3.) Smeared primers: See Station 3: Primer Pocket
Swaging
4.) Locator tab:
a.) When adjusting the priming station locator tab,
it should be set as close to the case as possible without
touching it. Be sure the cases in the shellplate rotate
freely past the tab. Change primer magazine tips every
20,000 rounds. Note: Move the handle down, bringing
the toolhead down. Move the locator tab in to the case in
the priming station.

Edited by ddc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

To All:  I have finally solved my primer feeding issue.  After taking the primer column on an off a number of times.  The last time I noticed the column was loose and I tightened down and it started malfunctioning.  I then loosened it and it started behaving.  i then put two pieces of .002 shim stock underneath the base and tightened the column down.  I ceased having problems.  I discovered the solution by making a mistake.  stupid simple! 

21 hours ago, Rockelk said:

To All:  I have finally solved my primer feeding issue.  After taking the primer column on an off a number of times.  The last time I noticed the column was loose and I tightened down and it started malfunctioning.  I then loosened it and it started behaving.  i then put two pieces of .002 shim stock underneath the base and tightened the column down.  I ceased having problems.  I discovered the solution by making a mistake.  stupid simple! 

I am assuming you already replaced the small orifice (small primer system) or large orifice (large primer system) on the end of the Magazine tube assembly and made sure that it is seated on the end of the Magazine tube assembly correctly?  I would think if you had to add shims something is off with the assembly and/or parts that would effect stack up of the magazine tube to prevent the primers from feeding properly.  Although your solution worked, I think there is another issue with the parts and/or assembly that made you have to take these steps.  

Maybe something to think about the next time you perform maintenance.

Either way thanks for sharing and congrats of fixing the issue.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, Gunther7912 said:

Put a 45ACP case on top of your primer follower, that will eliminate the issue of the primers not falling each case. 

Yeppers, works great and it is just the right size.

Additionally, if you are doing .223/5.56, the Dillon super swage is your best friend. 

Also make sure your primer hole is reamed or completely open/clear.

The mechanical advantage of the 1050 makes crushing primer easy--hint--when you feel resistance above the norm, stop and clear.

5 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

The mechanical advantage of the 1050 makes crushing primer easy--hint--when you feel resistance above the norm, stop and clear.

Yep.  I have learned exactly what each issue with swaging and priming is for the most part by feel on the down stroke.  Even on the up stroke you can feel when you drag a primer that did not seat correctly.  Unfortunately you loose this when you automate.  Hopefully the sensors, can help in regards to automation.