Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

competition trigger job

lppd4

The jewels eventually fall out of all the triglide stuff.  I start with EGW fire control parts because they are so precisely made.  Another reason is the sear is the thinnest where it contacts the thumb safety pad.  So when your TS starts to wear and the ham hands doing the testing at the chrono station pull the trigger so hard the safety disengages, you have options.  Going to an Extreme Engineering sear, which is fatter in that region, will allow you to fit the TS again without having to peen it.  Next up would be a Harrison Custom sear.  They are the fattest I have found.

EGW sears come with the secondary already cut.  I prefer to buy their long nose sear and put a True Radius on it and cut the secondary myself.  A TR nose is foolproof.  BTW, The EGW Ball Head disco requires fitting.

If you don't like EGW for some reason, Extreme Engineering makes fine stuff.  Cylinder & Slide kits are EE stuff.

Parts don't matter so much. You can get a 2lb 1911/2011 trigger with anything as long as the starting dimensions and angles are on point. Whatever the gun came with is often good enough. However some companies make better stuff than others and I'll occasionally find parts that are out of spec and simply can't be fixed. I've had the best luck with newer EGW, Wilson stuff made in the 90's and USGI surplus parts 70ish years old.

Avoid Metal Injection Molded (MIM) parts at all costs. If you're just going to drop them in and go and don't require ultimate reliability they're fine. But MIM parts are case hardened and can't be worked hard for a trigger job without re-hardening and then lightly polishing the final result. Not worth the time and effort unless there's no alternative available.

On 1/4/2021 at 6:10 AM, jim vaughan said:

Find out whether you need an extra long sear spring before you order a kit, otherwise you will have to order twice.

Other then the old Para widebody frames I havent seen anything that needed a longer sear spring ever. What frames/grips have you found that need them?