Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any primer detonation problems with XL750?

So, I have read numerous stories and even know people that have had issues with primer detonation while loading with 650 and RL 1100 presses... but I haven't been able to find any accounts of primer detonations with the XL750. Anybody out there have that experience or know of someone who has?

36 minutes ago, TriDoc said:

So, I have read numerous stories and even know people that have had issues with primer detonation while loading with 650 and RL 1100 presses... but I haven't been able to find any accounts of primer detonations with the XL750. Anybody out there have that experience or know of someone who has?

This is the reason why they adapted the 550 priming system to the 750, if you have a detonation it will only be one primer and will not chain react the whole magazine. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's not probable. 

I had a friend of mine that had a part time professional reloading business. He had 4 1050’s, and 3 650’s. He had a tube explode not by seating a primer, but by the last primer that was dropped in the primer tube did not go all the way in. He went to align it to drop with his finger. Had a static charge set off the primers, the explosion blew off two of his finger tips and an anvil went in his eye causing him to lose one of his eyes. 

This can happen anytime handling primers, I never touch live primers out of their box without safety glasses on. 

13 hours ago, The Donald said:

I had a friend of mine that had a part time professional reloading business. He had 4 1050’s, and 3 650’s. He had a tube explode not by seating a primer, but by the last primer that was dropped in the primer tube did not go all the way in. He went to align it to drop with his finger. Had a static charge set off the primers, the explosion blew off two of his finger tips and an anvil went in his eye causing him to lose one of his eyes. 

This can happen anytime handling primers, I never touch live primers out of their box without safety glasses on. 

Wow!! I hadn't even thought of static charge setting one off! Thanks for the heads up, will definitely adjust my safety practices with that in mind!

Given the nature of the 750's feed like the 550, the chances of the entire magazine detonating are pretty slim. With that said, I've crushed the heck out of some on my 650 and still no kabooms. I loaded probably 100k on my 550 over the past ~15 years with never a detonation. 

Doesn't the 550 utilize a slider that takes the primer from the feed tube and present it to the case somewhat like the 1050/1100 does?

I have first hand knowledge that on the 1100 the whole stack can kaboom.

3 hours ago, TriDoc said:

Wow!! I hadn't even thought of static charge setting one off! Thanks for the heads up, will definitely adjust my safety practices with that in mind!

I never thought of it, until a mutual friend of ours sent me an e mail about John. John sold a lot of ammo at the gun shows in Northern California, including some hard to find old military calibers. He actually lost his eye and had glass eye put in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Never realized that the static in our body could cause a primer to ignite.  Thanks for sharing this information and truly sorry to read of your friends injuries. I always wear safety glasses but I will now be even more careful while handling my primers.  

As for me - I loaded about 10k rounds on my 550 before selling and have loaded about 50k on my 650 with zero detonations.  I have crushed a few from time to time but being that I load with a slow stroke cycle I usually can feel something not being right before I cause to much damage.  

Learned a valuable lesson reading this thread related to static and primers that I never realized.....Mark 

• 3 weeks later...