Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any machine can do full length sizing and trimming for 9mm,223,308?

nnrrwz

I'm new in reloading, I just ordered rl1100,but if I want to save more money then I have to do sizing and trimming, I know there have rollsizer can resize the case body, but i couldn't find out which auto-machine can do case full sizing and trimming for 9mm,223,308, does anyone knows about it?

ummm....

you question has some openings?

one machine that does case trimming?

one machine that does case trimming and deburring?

one machine that does case trimming and many sizes

one machine that does case trimming and reloads

one machine that does case trimming and is automatic for any of that?

I am pretty sure a lee one hole press can do all that...

except you may need to swap accessories or brass...

the most automatic press I think I can buy as opposed to building

is a dillon 1100 and you will need to swap some tooling

or adjust it for brass...

miranda

No trimming needed for 9mm.  You should be able to decap and size in one station.

For 223 and 308, you'll need to trim at some point along the way.  With one toolhead, you can can decap, swage, trim, and then full length size.  Another toolhead can prime, powder, seat a bullet, and then factory crimp if needed.

15 minutes ago, Miranda said:

ummm....

you question has some openings?

one machine that does case trimming?

one machine that does case trimming and deburring?

one machine that does case trimming and many sizes

one machine that does case trimming and reloads

one machine that does case trimming and is automatic for any of that?

I am pretty sure a lee one hole press can do all that...

except you may need to swap accessories or brass...

the most automatic press I think I can buy as opposed to building

is a dillon 1100 and you will need to swap some tooling

or adjust it for brass...

miranda

sorry my question make you confused,

if there has a machine can do trimming and full length resizing with multiple caliber support?

if not how about separately function like:

is there have a machine that does trimming automatically with multiple caliber support ?

is there have a machine that does full length resizing automatically with multiple caliber support ?

7 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

No trimming needed for 9mm.  You should be able to decap and size in one station.

For 223 and 308, you'll need to trim at some point along the way.  With one toolhead, you can can decap, swage, trim, and then full length size.  Another toolhead can prime, powder, seat a bullet, and then factory crimp if needed.

for 9mm does the machine can do decap and size automatically?

OP

Your Dillon will size and decap in one step. That’s a function of the die rather than the machine. Other dies drop powder, check powder, seat bullet and crimp. They’re very versatile machines depending on how you set them up. 

bottle neck cartridges need to be trimmed occasionally. Maybe not every loading, but once in a while. It’s important to measure and stay within case length limits so you don’t run into pressure spikes. 

Rifle dies vary by how much they stretch the case during sizing. I like the RCBS X die for blasting ammo. For precision loads I prefer to use mandrel tools. 

I have a dedicated single stage press for sizing rifle brass. Just makes things easier. Some guys I know have Redding turret presses for the purpose. I envy their wisdom because it’s a great option if you load multiple calibers. 

Trimming rifle cases is ass pain any way you slice it. Get a powered trimmer up front. Giraud is the best I’ve used but I don’t own one. I have the Little Crow Gun Works trimmer that you run with a power drill. It works well enough for me at an inexpensive price point. Not nearly as nice as a Giraud tho. 

you will want to debur case mouths after trimming and maybe chamfer them depending on the bullet you use. Get the right tools for the job. A Sinclair reloading catalog will give you a lot of good choices. 

if you don’t already own a couple of good loading manuals for rifle, please get one or two and read them from front to back. Not being insulting. The books are a wealth of knowledge. I’ve been loading for over 30 years and I still refer to the books now and then. Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, and most other major bullet makers have great books at affordable prices. Much less than a box of primers at today’s prices. 

be safe. Enjoy

hi nnrrwz,

ok I think i understand.

your questions have me thinking you are new to reloading and are hunting the answers

that do not appear in most product reviews and brochures

and, frankly, not clearly stated in the reloading manuals.

If you can't find some one who knows reloading locally

then you can ask here and

you are likely to find the answer in the various replies you will get.

I got a lot of help here when I started.

If you are hunting a christmas gift or such...

there are various case trimmers

9mm cases are rarely trimmed

223 and 308 do get trimmed

and there are options from hand powered

up to ones that are installed on progressive presses with good sized motors.

these last types are installed as options on a press

they are usually case specific as they go up in price.

most people decide what to get based on how much shooting they do.

in general pistol reloading is easier than rifle reloading.

miranda

Edited by Miranda
typos and left out a sentence

ah let me go another way...

you can install a lot of different options on a dillon 1100.

case trimming dies can be installed on that press.

most people run the cases through the press one time to prepare

them to be reloaded and then shift the dies or tool head to reload the cases to make ammo.

dillon does have a case trimming die. I can state it does work.

I deburr by hand.

and again, pistol ammo is easier to reload.

do some 9mm first and then do the rifle reloading

miranda

Start reloading 9 mm first. I do not roll size my brass. I just wet tumble, lube, then load. If you dry the brass correctly you can size, decap, swage, prime and load 9mm in one pass on the 1100.  From the questions you are asking I would do a lot more homework before trying to load rifle cartridges. Load 9mm until you are comfortable, then I would start loading rifle rounds once you are proficient at loading pistol ammo and done enough homework to load rifle rounds. There is a learning curve to both. Pistol is a lot more straight forward than rifle rounds and if something goes wrong there is a lot less powder involved with pistol rounds than with rifle rounds. 

If you shoot 9mm major you may want to consider a roll sizer.  In my experience roll sizing 9mm minor is just extra work.  At least that’s my opinion.  Others may feel differently. 

The RL1100 is an amazing machine that will be very versatile in loading what you are looking to load. Dillon makes great videos in regards to processing and loading 223 as well as other rifle rounds. I would definitely use some of those videos to learn how to do some of those processes.