Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats everyone using in CO

AngeloConde

I'm on the fence of which to go with legion x5, cz shadow 2, or g34 

Income tax is comming up and will be getting a decent return so am looking at possibly getting back into uspsa. I will be running a delta point pro as I already have one. 

Any and all advice is appreciated

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Whichever one fits your hand the best... 

While this advice is correct in general, my observation is most people do not understand what it means. If a gun feels good in your hands it doesn't automatically mean it is good for shooting...

My advice  - get whatever is logistically easier and start from there.

Edited by cheby

we have some of each. Mrs moto thinks DA first shots are stupid, so I got her an x5 legion. it is convenient that the dpp mounts directly to the slide with no adapter plate needed. With the simple addition of a gray guns trigger kit, it is entirely competitive, with a 2.5 lb trigger pull. Not quite as short a pull and reset as a custom 2011, but pretty darned good for a crappy plastic gun. We both found the grip to be very natural, and the gun pointed well for me immediately. it just feels very similar to my 2011 in that respect. you might need to spring for an extended mag realease and/or paddle for the sig. Mrs moto needs one. I'm not sure if I would need one. I would probably run it stock for a few weeks and see if it was an issue.

I was thinking about getting another sig for myself, but none were available a few weeks ago, and I was impatient and after shooting a nicer gun, I wanted to upgrade from free xdm CO gun.  I don't mind practicing and I am very comfortable with DA first shot, so I got a shadow2, and an adapter plate for the dpp, and about $50 worth of springs. with the cgw trigger return spring, and 11 lb mainspring, and extended firing pin, it seems to light off any primers, and the DA pull is barely over 6 lbs, SA around 2.5.  The cz didn't point quite as naturally when I first picked it up but after an hour or so of dryfire it does now. I suspect it is just not *quite* as similar as my 2011.

I would feel totally comfortable competing with either gun, but the cz just feels a little nicer to handle, and is a bit more accurate for me, not that i can tell an accuracy difference when shooting uspsa stages.

Edited by motosapiens

57 minutes ago, cheby said:

While this advice is correct in general, my observation is most people do not understand what it means. If a gun feels good in your hands it doesn't automatically mean it is good for shooting...

My advice  - get whatever is logistically easier and start from there.

agree. My 4.5 XDM 9 feels great in my hand but for whatever reason, I get better hits with my G17

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

we have some of each. Mrs moto thinks DA first shots are stupid, so I got her an x5 legion. it is convenient that the dpp mounts directly to the slide with no adapter plate needed. With the simple addition of a gray guns trigger kit, it is entirely competitive, with a 2.5 lb trigger pull. Not quite as short a pull and reset as a custom 2011, but pretty darned good for a crappy plastic gun. We both found the grip to be very natural, and the gun pointed well for me immediately. it just feels very similar to my 2011 in that respect. you might need to spring for an extended mag realease and/or paddle for the sig. Mrs moto needs one. I'm not sure if I would need one. I would probably run it stock for a few weeks and see if it was an issue.

I was thinking about getting another sig for myself, but none were available a few weeks ago, and I was impatient and after shooting a nicer gun, I wanted to upgrade from free xdm CO gun.  I don't mind practicing and I am very comfortable with DA first shot, so I got a shadow2, and an adapter plate for the dpp, and about $50 worth of springs. with the cgw trigger return spring, and 11 lb mainspring, and extended firing pin, it seems to light off any primers, and the DA pull is barely over 6 lbs, SA around 2.5.  The cz didn't point quite as naturally when I first picked it up but after an hour or so of dryfire it does now. I suspect it is just not *quite* as similar as my 2011.

I would feel totally comfortable competing with either gun, but the cz just feels a little nicer to handle, and is a bit more accurate for me, not that i can tell an accuracy difference when shooting uspsa stages.

Yea for me i wasn't a big fan of the DA/SA I think its because I always messed up the first shot lol but that could also be due to lack of training with a DA

34 minutes ago, AngeloConde said:

I always messed up the first shot lol but that could also be due to lack of training with a DA

I'm certain of it.

Anyway, if you're considering a G34 I would suggest you look at the CZ P-10F.

I also recommend you reconsider such long barrel lengths since sight radius is irrelevant with optical sights and a 4 or 4.5 inch barrel will make power factor just as easily as a 5 inch one will.

IME guns with shorter slides recoil flatter all else being equal.

I use a Glock 17 with no internal mods. I know what's going on internally and don't feel the need to swap trigger parts. I also have a lower tendency to cartwheel the gun out of the holster than a 34 and saves ~$100 to put towards whatever.

Edited by TheChewycookie

40 minutes ago, AngeloConde said:

Yea for me i wasn't a big fan of the DA/SA I think its because I always messed up the first shot lol but that could also be due to lack of training with a DA

It's all gonna come down to correcting the lack of training for any and every thing you don't like or do poorly.   

I mean you gotta pick what like but in the end, the gun will almost certainly not be the issue.  

Everyone telling you that abc gun in xyz configuration is flatter or more accurate and is just as good or better than something else is just trying to reinforce their decisions by saying them out loud. 

You're just gonna have to try them out. Sometimes you just have to buy one to do that. 

Most every gun, and certainly the ones you listed, have examples of someone out there shooting them very well. 

Good luck. 

12 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I'm certain of it.

Anyway, if you're considering a G34 I would suggest you look at the CZ P-10F.

I also recommend you reconsider such long barrel lengths since sight radius is irrelevant with optical sights and a 4 or 4.5 inch barrel will make power factor just as easily as a 5 inch one will.

IME guns with shorter slides recoil flatter all else being equal.

That is very interesting I didn't think about the barrel length. Thank youu

3 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

It's all gonna come down to correcting the lack of training for any and every thing you don't like or do poorly.   

I mean you gotta pick what like but in the end, the gun will almost certainly not be the issue.  

Everyone telling you that abc gun in xyz configuration is flatter or more accurate and is just as good or better than something else is just trying to reinforce their decisions by saying them out loud. 

You're just gonna have to try them out. Sometimes you just have to buy one to do that. 

Most every gun, and certainly the ones you listed, have examples of someone out there shooting them very well. 

Good luck. 

Thank you yea im still doing comparisons on everything keeping a list 

1 minute ago, AngeloConde said:

Thank you yea im still doing comparisons on everything keeping a list 

Be cautious of people's reviews of guns and their feelings.  

Most people don't know what they're talking about. 

Even if they do, their feelings or just that. Feelings. And their feelings. You will probably be and feel different.  

Shorter guns do not typically shoot flatter. 

Shorter guns do not typically make PF just as easy. 

Shooting flat is also not something that's super important or truly understood by most people correctly anyways. 

I will go out on a limb and say that you will have better results with a gun you shoot better vs a gun that just shoots "flatter"!

Again, guns don't shoot flat or return on their own!  The shooter brings the gun back to "zero". Rather they realize it or not. 

There's a ton that can be argued about this.  

24 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

The first one is easy.  Physics can't be argued.  Shorter slides have less mass, less momentum, and a shorter fulcrum.  As long as the grip isn't overly short, it is easier to make a pistol with a shorter slide rise less in recoil and dip less when it returns to battery.  Whether you agree or not it's irrelevant.  Math/physics don't lie nor care about classification cards.

Flip on recoil can be mitigated in any number of ways some involving changes to the pistol, some involving added hand and arm strength, and some involving technique.  But when there's less to mitigate to begin with, there's less to do about it.

The second point is somewhat arguable, but when I can make PF with ease with a 4" gun using loads in the middle of the range I see no other way to describe it other than it's just as easy.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

7 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

The first one is easy.  Physics can't be argued.  Shorter slides have less mass, less momentum, and a shorter fulcrum.  As long as the grip isn't overly short, it is easier to make a pistol with a shorter slide rise less in recoil and dip less when it returns to battery.  Whether you agree or not it's irrelevant.  Math/physics don't lie nor care about classification cards.

Flip on recoil can be mitigated in any number of ways some involving changes to the pistol, some involving added hand and arm strength, and some involving technique.  But when there's less to mitigate to begin with, there's less to do about it.

The second point is somewhat arguable, but when I can make PF with ease with a 4" gun using loads in the middle of the range I see no other way to describe it other than it's just as easy.

Gun forums where there is no shortage of physicists!

Recoil/flatness has many variables. Too many. I'm not really interested in trying to make a case for or against, or even debate the relevance, on gun forum.

Same with PF. A Glock 26 could make PF with "ease". Just saying. 

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

Be cautious of people's reviews of guns and their feelings.  

Most people don't know what they're talking about. 

Even if they do, their feelings or just that. Feelings. And their feelings. You will probably be and feel different.  

Shooting flat is also not something that's super important or truly understood by most people correctly anyways. 

I will go out on a limb and say that you will have better results with a gun you shoot better vs a gun that just shoots "flatter"!

Again, guns don't shoot flat or return on their own!  The shooter brings the gun back to "zero". Rather they realize it or not. 

There's a ton that can be argued about this.  

Thank you. Yea im also doing price comparisons as well. Whether it be slide milling OR ready versions so on and so forth

23 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

no shortage of physicists!

I was a Health Physicist, so if you want to know about the effects of radiation on your body I'm the man. Or some basics about electromagnatism,  nuclear power, medical uses and such. None of my classes dealt with springs. But I have had Trig and Calc based Newtonian physics classes and that does make a person somewhat smarter about how some things work than a person who hasn't.

42 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I am assuming you load your own. Have you found that certain ammos don't make PF in certain guns I don't reload so that would be another factory as well

Just now, rowdyb said:

I was a Health Physicist, so if you want to know about the effects of radiation on your body I'm the man. Or some basics about electromagnatism,  nuclear power, medical uses and such. None of my classes dealt with springs. But I have had Trig and Calc based Newtonian physics classes and that does make a person somewhat smarter about how some things work than a person who hasn't.

Lol