Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Almost ran out of ammo

Stafford

Typically take 250 rounds to a match and most list 150-175 rounds per match. So, I always have extra rounds. In the last couple of months, the local matches are now running 125-135 rounds per match. So, I only took 200 rounds with me to my last match. And of course, this match had a round count of around 160. So, I was still good, or so I thought.

I ended up having two reshoots. The first was no big deal as I would have had enough ammo to finish. But the second one was going to leave me short. But my carry pistol, a little SA Hellcat and extra mag were in my vehicle. With 11+1 in the pistol plus the extended mag with 13, I had 25 hollow points still available. I ended up finishing the match without having to drop out or borrow ammo.

Lesson learned. Take more than you think you’ll need. And make sure you have your carry pistol and an extra mag just in case.

Edited by Stafford

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

I just bring twice as much ammo as I could possibly need. It's not like it hurts me to carry it back into the house afterwards.

I ran short at my very first match (IDPA match), and had to borrow some rounds. Have never come close again.

So you needed 32 rounds and not 30?

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Better than throwing rocks!

More accurate for sure....but many a lad or lassie were dead nuts with a rock tossing during the troubles in Northern Ireland when I was growing up in (southern) Ireland. My favorite was railroad ballast....those ones are just the right size for a rock flinging fest!!

I usually pack enough and then some in my range bag an leave an ammo can in the truck with some more just in case. For USPSA I'll likely carry 2x what I need but for 3gun the cart fills up faster so I tend to being 1.5 times what I need and leave some in the truck.

Honestly, I've always done it this way and never run out but I have helped out fellow shooters a few times who did have to borrow some from me. Granted that was last year when we were in the land of plentiful ammo, this year unless you're a good friend your SOL.

I've always taken twice the minimum for locals and twice plus for majors. 

More so when your carry gun isn't the same caliber and borrowing isn't easy due to load length, springs, blah, blah, blah.

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting the IRC one year and they had a stage with 9 poppers.  This was way back when we first started having the IRC and things were still being learned.  The wind kept blowing a popper over even after it had been reset a number of times.  I was the lucky shooters that had the problems the most problems with the stage.  I had to reshot it so often, I think 7 times also, that I almost ran out of ammo.  

I was shooting my 625 at the time and fortunately had  a box of 230 ball ammo in my case.  I ended up needed it to finish the match.  What a difference from my wimp reloads to ball ammo but I managed to make it.