Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The great primer shortage of 2020 is about to end soon !!!

ysrracer

28 minutes ago, ML123 said:

This is today at my LGS!  This is a restock too they started putting them out last week.  They have everything on that shelf SPP LPP SRP LRP BR-41 Fed and CCI!!  There was another shelf full of CCI No 500 SPP too!  Still only 100/day but hey they at least have them. I have my wife neighbors and friendsPrimers.jpg.4449afa5a972e4d17df2f823ee96d801.jpg all stopping lol! 

The fact that they are not hidden behind a counter is a good sign too.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is interesting is the language on the signs.  Read it closely - I read it to say that I can actually purchase 100 + 100 per day....

The sign says 100 “and” 100 per day...Might be worth a try on your next trip in.....If I lived close I would at least give it a try...Mark

1 hour ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

What is interesting is the language on the signs.  Read it closely - I read it to say that I can actually purchase 100 + 100 per day....

The sign says 100 “and” 100 per day...Might be worth a try on your next trip in.....If I lived close I would at least give it a try...Mark

I thought about that today but I am good on SRP right now and don't want to be greedy.  I have more SRP primers than brass and bullets right now and plenty of loaded rifle ammo to wait this out a little longer. 

On 1/5/2021 at 5:16 PM, ML123 said:

This is today at my LGS!  This is a restock too they started putting them out last week.  They have everything on that shelf SPP LPP SRP LRP BR-41 Fed and CCI!!  There was another shelf full of CCI No 500 SPP too!  Still only 100/day but hey they at least have them. I have my wife neighbors and friendsPrimers.jpg.4449afa5a972e4d17df2f823ee96d801.jpg all stopping lol! 

I really miss the good old days, back in December, when they let you buy 500 at a time........

23 hours ago, Farmer said:

The way I read that is you can buy 100 pistol and 100 rifle per day and/or maybe 200 pistol or 200 rifle? Could be tricky but at those prices I think I’d wait awhile. 

So they did let me buy 100 SPP and 100 SRP and I will be back tomorrow lol.  Slow process but I did get enough this week to load some 9mm this week which I really needed.   I keep thinking they will be gone the next time I am there but they loaded up a third shelf full of them.

GREAT News ML123 - Now the question will be tomorrow if they have changed the language in the signs.  If not you (and a few of your family members or friends that do not reload) should become a daily visitor - at least for a while.  I know the price is not the best but it is a source and keep in mind "if" you were able to purchase lets say 1000 SPP from Powder Valley for $40.00 you still have to pay $20.00 HazMat and $12.00 shipping so the final cost is not that much different when you think about it - This is a situation where two in the hand is worth the unknown (time and effort) in the bush (online purchase)....Just my thoughts....Mark

3 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

GREAT News ML123 - Now the question will be tomorrow if they have changed the language in the signs.  If not you (and a few of your family members or friends that do not reload) should become a daily visitor - at least for a while.  I know the price is not the best but it is a source and keep in mind "if" you were able to purchase lets say 1000 SPP from Powder Valley for $40.00 you still have to pay $20.00 HazMat and $12.00 shipping so the final cost is not that much different when you think about it - This is a situation where two in the hand is worth the unknown (time and effort) in the bush (online purchase)....Just my thoughts....Mark

It's still WAY better than $250/1k on GB!!  I'm not bitching and unfortunately I believe it will be the new normal for awhile at least, especially after yesterday.  I just wish I could by 10k and be done for awhile.  I only started reloading in October so I am new to this.  If we ever get to the point that you can buy in bulk online again I will for sure keep a good stock on hand.

So they had 2 full racks like that when I took that pic they are down to just one shelf and most of the SPP are gone with just a few Federal SP magnums left.  I have been going everyday and sending my wife too plus a few friends have stopped for me.  The truck comes in today and they will restock before opening tomorrow so fingers crossed they have a nice new wonderful stock to pick away at all week.  Not a bad business strategy either I seem to keep finding some other stupid s#!t to buy everytime I'm in there too lol!

The fun of reloading - I have been reloading for almost 40 years now so you have no idea how much of that "other stuff" I convince myself I must have.  Truth told you have access to something that few in the US have access to right now and with the going price now on factory ammo - reloading (if you can get primers) is the place to be.....Good Luck on getting your primer inventory built up.....Mark

17 hours ago, ML123 said:

So they did let me buy 100 SPP and 100 SRP and I will be back tomorrow lol.  Slow process but I did get enough this week to load some 9mm this week which I really needed.   I keep thinking they will be gone the next time I am there but they loaded up a third shelf full of them.

Will they let you buy 200 SPP? I didn’t realize you were starting from zero. Can understand your stance now. Until a person can order 5-10k at a time the hazmat does make them expensive. 

A friend told me that last weekend at the local gun show there was a guy selling SPP for $25 per 100.  He had over 50,000 primers at his table and he sold them all in a couple of hours.  The price seems ridiculous but even at $0.25 each for primers, there's still a significant savings from re-loading... $0.25 primer + $0.11 bullet + $0.02 powder = $0.38 per round.  Can't buy 'em for that new today!

11 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

A friend told me that last weekend at the local gun show there was a guy selling SPP for $25 per 100.  He had over 50,000 primers at his table and he sold them all in a couple of hours.  The price seems ridiculous but even at $0.25 each for primers, there's still a significant savings from re-loading... $0.25 primer + $0.11 bullet + $0.02 powder = $0.38 per round.  Can't buy 'em for that new today!

If people are stupid enough to buy them at that price, that's on them. I've got about 10,000 in my closet, and my local gun store gets them in from time to time.

I'll take up another sport before I pay $25 per 100.

Edited by ysrracer

Me also - and I hope people remember that store selling primers at that price when they are more than likely paying $40.00 per thousand before Haz-Mat from the various supply houses that continue to provide primers at fair prices like PV, Brownells, Mid-South Reloadings and many others....Just my 2 cents worth

6 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Me also - and I hope people remember that store selling primers at that price when they are more than likely paying $40.00 per thousand before Haz-Mat from the various supply houses that continue to provide primers at fair prices like PV, Brownells, Mid-South Reloadings and many others....Just my 2 cents worth

2 cents? I remember when primers were 2 cents :)

I found a 1000 pack of primers in my supplies about two years ago that cost me $17.00....I loaded them and they went bang...Guessing they were at least 10 years old...

Anyone else remember when primers were less than $17.00 per thousand.....I cannot remember what they sold for when I started reloading in 1983....But they were cheap....Loaded tens of thousands of rounds of 148gr HBWC over 2.7gr of Bullseye on my RCBS Rock Chucker...The only progressive loader to have back in those days was a loader made by Star - I think...Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

4 hours ago, EEH said:

When I started reloading 5000 Winchester primers were $70.00 at the gun show. Shortly after they went to $75.00 and I thought that was awful.

I can beat that. When I started reloading a sleeve of 5k was 60 bucks. 

13 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

Damn, before electricity it must have been dangerous loading by candle light!  😂

When my grandma was a little girl,  movies were a nickel, and the gun store paid YOU to take primers :)

Well considering I only got started reloading during this entire mess, and obviously did not stock up beforehand, I am making due even with the inflated prices.  I got another 1400rds loaded this week with my wife and I plucking 100 SPP at a time from my LGS.  unfortunately that well finally ran dry this weekend.  It couldn't have come at a better time as I was down to 300rds.

Considering I had to buy mixed brass and all my components since October I am still only around .20 a round to reload: .035 per case, .073 BBI bullets, .08 primer, .01 TG powder.  With the cheapest 9mm factory ammo being .60/round these days I saved $560 loading 1400rds at today's prices. 

With the $400 I saved loading the previous 1000rds my Dillon 750 is already paid for!

11 minutes ago, ML123 said:

Well considering I only got started reloading during this entire mess, and obviously did not stock up beforehand, I am making due even with the inflated prices.  I got another 1400rds loaded this week with my wife and I plucking 100 SPP at a time from my LGS.  unfortunately that well finally ran dry this weekend.  It couldn't have come at a better time as I was down to 300rds.

Considering I had to buy mixed brass and all my components since October I am still only around .20 a round to reload: .035 per case, .073 BBI bullets, .08 primer, .01 TG powder.  With the cheapest 9mm factory ammo being .60/round these days I saved $560 loading 1400rds at today's prices. 

With the $400 I saved loading the previous 1000rds my Dillon 750 is already paid for!

Yup. I've only been loading a short time as well, and the cost of admission was definitely worth it! I've been able to keep stocked up on primers without getting hosed just by being very persistent in searching. Haven't a tough time finding powder now, unfortunately! 

On 12/28/2020 at 11:22 AM, BentAero said:

I have 2000 small pistol primers for sale. Mixed bag of Win, CCI, and Federal. Only used once. Make offer.

🤣

Hey, don't laugh, I read peeps are using spent primers and filling them with paper caps 🙂