Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sailer leaving Infinity?

IPSCLUVERRR

1 hour ago, wmccurdy said:

So, he was fired?

FWIW, his IG states "Infinity Firearms has decided to go a different direction and I will not be representing them in the future...." 

Maybe he didn't win Nationals by a wide enough margin. LOL. 

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

FWIW, his IG states "Infinity Firearms has decided to go a different direction and I will not be representing them in the future...." 

Maybe he didn't win Nationals by a wide enough margin. LOL. 

Currently I have no clue what happened but there is much more to representing a company than one's ability to win. 

Not that I really care, but if I were speculating, I'd speculate that maybe he wanted to shoot some other division or do some other thing that didn't fit into their plans.... Or maybe he wants to cut down his match schedule to focus on school..... wutever. He is a terrific young man, and will go far in life. And as far as I can tell infinity is a reputable and successful company that will continue to be successful. Everyone should be happy.

Edited by motosapiens

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

there is much more to representing a company than one's ability to win. 

It's amazing to me how some ppl feel that winning matches entitles them to "being sponsored".  They literally expect free guns after making GM or consistently winning locals.  Heard a dude complain how a company wasn't giving him a free gun, so he tried to get it from another one.  When asked "what service will you provide to help them sell more stuff?" ... there was a blank stare.  Zero understanding that there's work involved as well as a contract with fine print.

Having said that, I think motosapiens summed things up nicely.

Goes to show that for 99% of the people shooting there is ZERO return on shooting beyond your skill development and personal enjoyment of participating.

Money came into skating and changed it. Money came into rock climbing and changed it. Money came into surfing and changed it. Money came into bjj and changed it. If money ever comes into action pistol shooting it will definitely change as well.

Edited by rowdyb

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Not that I really care, but if I were speculating, I'd speculate that maybe he wanted to shoot some other division or do some other thing that didn't fit into their plans.... Or maybe he wants to cut down his match schedule to focus on school..... wutever. He is a terrific young man, and will go far in life. And as far as I can tell infinity is a reputable and successful company that will continue to be successful. Everyone should be happy.

school is what i am thinking. he is on his last year of biz school and probably could not devote the time to schedule what infinity wanted from him.  School is way more important than shooting in my opinion.  making a living at shooting is not an easy endeavor.    better to have a degree to fall back on .   

of course i am just speculating 

9 hours ago, nasty618 said:

It's amazing to me how some ppl feel that winning matches entitles them to "being sponsored".  They literally expect free guns after making GM or consistently winning locals.  Heard a dude complain how a company wasn't giving him a free gun, so he tried to get it from another one.  When asked "what service will you provide to help them sell more stuff?" ... there was a blank stare.  Zero understanding that there's work involved as well as a contract with fine print.

Having said that, I think motosapiens summed things up nicely.

I shoot for a very small, unknown shop that is local to me. I already had a relationship with the owner/gunsmith way before we ever decided to have me shoot his gun at matches. We both knew exaclty what the expectations were from each other. I got the shoot a gun I designed the slide cuts on, the parts I picked out and got a discount on labor. He got his company name/logo on a Jersey of someone who was just a regular guy that shoots a solid number of local and major matches and loves telling people about his guns and who built them. If nothing ever came in to the shop from me it wasnt a big deal. His cost were covered, I still paid for all my own ammo, fees, ect. Well it ended up I got a bunch of buisness for him and the relationship has worked out well for both of us. To me that's all a "sponsorship" should ever be. 

When I wanted to quit school and become a professional foosball player many years ago I tried to get my parents to sponsor me by telling them I’d wear their last name on the back of my jersey. It didn’t work and I was forced to stay in college and get a degree. In retrospect, I guess they really did know best. 

15 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Goes to show that for 99% of the people shooting there is ZERO return on shooting beyond your skill development and personal enjoyment of participating.

Money came into skating and changed it. Money came into rock climbing and changed it. Money came into surfing and changed it. Money came into bjj and changed it. If money ever comes into action pistol shooting it will definitely change as well.

And how many of those changes were for the better?  Just about none.

I think that the marketing engine in the gun industry is well past the "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" strategy. The gun industry marketing effort has trended towards Brand Ambassadors which have a higher engagement with a direct audience via various mediums. 

Winning matches with specific products is nice, but that isn't the primary marketing goal for most companies. The primary marketing goal is to promote brand awareness in a manner that translates into sales. If anyone looking to get sponsored doesn't realize that their "Sponsorship" MUST translate to an increase in product sales they are delusional. This is no different than seeking employment. If you can't produce profitable value, well beyond your compensation, to a company then there is no reason to employ you. 

We will likely never know the details of why Infinity and Christian decided to part ways. Honestly, it doesn't matter as it is really none of our business. I am sure that Infinity will continue as a successful custom gun business and that Christian will continue to perform well in the Practical Shooting Sports. I wish them both the best moving forward!!! 

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

Honestly, it doesn't matter as it is really none of our business. I am sure that Infinity will continue as a successful custom gun business and that Christian will continue to perform well in the Practical Shooting Sports. I wish them both the best moving forward!!! 

Well said...

BC