Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N frame barrel work

IPSCLUVERRR

Being the proud owner of a competition grade 45 ACP 625 I'm curious why you'd want an N frame 9MM. I'd think a K or L frame would be better suited or even the new Ruger GP. Or have I misunderstood what you're trying to do? 

39 minutes ago, buckaroo45 said:

Being the proud owner of a competition grade 45 ACP 625 I'm curious why you'd want an N frame 9MM. I'd think a K or L frame would be better suited or even the new Ruger GP. Or have I misunderstood what you're trying to do? 

The 8 shots are N Frame, 627, 929.  Nothing to do with recoil.

Figgers! Stay out of a game too long, stop paying attention and the game will change. Agent Orange taking my hands out of play and liking the big hole lotta noise kind of shooting took all the fun out for me so I dropped out before the 9's took over. Never knew the 627 / 929 were N frame. Thanks. That's what I was trying to understand.

23 hours ago, buckaroo45 said:

Figgers! Stay out of a game too long, stop paying attention and the game will change. Agent Orange taking my hands out of play and liking the big hole lotta noise kind of shooting took all the fun out for me so I dropped out before the 9's took over. Never knew the 627 / 929 were N frame. Thanks. That's what I was trying to understand.

Been there, the new 8 shot 9mm or 38 short colt, in a 357 chamber, is a lot easier on the hands!

Pcc, limited, open, Cary optics, all 9mm. 929 that was a no brainer, fun gun to shoot also. I had a v comp also that Randy Lee worked his magic on but sold it because it wasn’t legal for uspsa and I don’t shoot Icor. Of course they legalized it right after. 

On 12/27/2020 at 7:30 PM, IPSCLUVERRR said:

Does anyone know of a smith that can cut a 1.5” OD 9mm barrel to N frame frame threading? I can do all of the other lathe work just don’t feel comfortable doing barrel threading yet    

I’ve made 35-40 627 and 929 barrels and to get them threaded properly to the frames we needed the new barrel and the frame together. The one attempt we made to cut threads into a fresh blank (even using another frame of same generation as its guide) the threads weren’t cut deep enough. The factory doesn’t appear to cut the frames to similar depth (imagine that.)

It sounds like you have a lathe and are just not confident in cutting the threads? I’d say grab a long blank and practice, I bet you can get it within a few tries. And you’ll only burn a couple inches at a time if you don’t. 

I’ve had really good luck buying long 1-10 .355 stainless blanks from Douglas. They will rough cut the OD to whatever you want when you call to place the order.