Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue bullets

16 hours ago, longbeard said:

They work great for PCC. However, if you use a hot powder like Titegroup it will make a mess out of the comp. 

They will make a mess out of your comp with a clean burning powder, given enough time.

After 2,000 blues loaded with Prima V, I had to get the dremel out and grind the concrete out of my comp. The ports were roughly half the size they should have been.

I switched to 115gr plated from RMR and the gun stays nice and clean. Well worth an extra dollar or two per range session.

I also like shooting 115s because the gun is super flat at 140ish PF when the bullet is supersonic. That crack makes it much easier to pick up your shots with a timer. My PCC is the only gun that I’m trying to keep louder, not quieter.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

.My PCC is the only gun that I’m trying to keep louder, not quieter.

I guess you've never shot Steel Challenge with a rimfire rifle.😀   I have a TandemKross "Game Changer" comp on my 10/22 for exactly the same reason, I want the gun louder so the timer picks up the shots.

9 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I guess you've never shot Steel Challenge with a rimfire rifle.😀   I have a TandemKross "Game Changer" comp on my 10/22 for exactly the same reason, I want the gun louder so the timer picks up the shots.

I’ve been asked multiple times why I needed a comp to tame the recoil of a .22.  😏

Edited by LowSpeedHighDrag
On 12/25/2020 at 2:59 PM, longbeard said:

They work great for PCC. However, if you use a hot powder like Titegroup it will make a mess out of the comp. 

I shot similar (Bayou) coated bullets in a PCC with Titegroup. Not only is @longbeardcorrect that they will make a mess out of the comp, but they will also require a lot more cleaning in your barrel (which I learned 2 stages into a match when the lead fouled the last inch or so of the barrel and I started shooting knuckle balls through my smooth bore).

IMHO the clogging of the comp is a powder issue, I shoot Blues in my Infinity 9/40 sight tracker using N320, I picked up a CZ Scorpion Pistol which is now a SBR, using the same Blue 125RN I decided to not use N320, and loaded up some with Titegroup, after 500 rounds the muzzle device started clogging up, cleaned it and shot another 200 with n320 and the muzzle is clean as can be.

On 12/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

I guess you've never shot Steel Challenge with a rimfire rifle.😀

No USPSA shooter cares about rimfire steel challenge unless they’re pro shooters, or 70+ year old men.

Just kidding! 😁

(...Mostly... I don’t, but I know tons of others do.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I've shot/shoot tons of Blues through various PCC's, they work great.. but yeah, they're awesome for mucking up your comp lol!  

I read a trick on here awhile back about spraying case-lube/lanolin all over the comp and letting it dry between cleanings, and it does help... but only helps tho, cleaning the comp out is still not the funnest thing ever lol.

Edited by ck1
On 12/30/2020 at 9:04 PM, 427Cobra said:

IMHO the clogging of the comp is a powder issue, I shoot Blues in my Infinity 9/40 sight tracker using N320, I picked up a CZ Scorpion Pistol which is now a SBR, using the same Blue 125RN I decided to not use N320, and loaded up some with Titegroup, after 500 rounds the muzzle device started clogging up, cleaned it and shot another 200 with n320 and the muzzle is clean as can be.

That’s good info - thanks!  I did notice in a night match that my titegroup loads generated a LOT more smoke.  Will try out the Bayou’s I have with different powder and see how it works.

• 10 months later...

Blues work just fine but so do pretty much any other moly bullets. For a while it was hard to get Blues so I tried Black Bullets, SNS, and Brass Monkey. All were fine and the smoke didn't affect the shooting.  I haven't really seen comp issues - I clean mine my blowback AR every 500 and MPX every match - those are both unnecessary but I like to keep them clean.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve shot a lot of blue bullets, S&S, and Bayou, all coated. Powder makes a big difference in the amount of fouling but they will never be as clean as jacketed. I shoot coated for practice and locals, and jacketed for majors. I do not shoot them in comps or MPX gas systems as I don’t run those. I have run them in production, limited, carry optics, and PCC and will continue to do so. Not as clean or accurate as jacketed but more then enough for USPSA.