Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do these ES and SD numbers look?

Nor-cal_Shooter

I'm kinda new to this reloading stuff, so I wanted to run some numbers by you guys. I just want to know if these are acceptable (mainly the ES and SD) for what I'm doing.

INFO

I shoot USPSA Production and IDPA SSP

The gun is a Glock 34 gen 3

Using a Dilon XL750 (RCBS carbide sizing die, Redding Competition Seating die, Reading Micro Taper Crimp die)

Win headstamp cases

Federal SPP (no.100)
VV N320
BBI 135gr

3.5gr of the N320
1.130 OAL

Chrono results from today. Two 10 shot groups. Using a Shooting Chrony. It was around 48* ambient temp.

LOW - 966 (130PF)

HIGH - 993 (134PF)
AVG - 981 (132PF)
ES - 26.5
SD - 10.48

LOW - 981 (132PF)

HIGH - 1004 (135PF)

AVG - 992 (133PF)
ES - 22.7
SD - 9.11

Edited by Nor-cal_Shooter

Generally what you're looking for with respect to practical shooting competition is whether the slowest round still meets your power factor requirement. At 130 power factor, you're good to go for minor with a minimum 125 power factor. 

Numbers look good, how's the accuracy? Low SD doesn't equate to best accuracy depending on powder. N320 is know for good consistent ES and SD numbers. I've had powders the had Higher ES and SD that shot more accurately than N320. It's all about your gun and your load though, do what is best for you. 

The numbers are encouraging.  Drop your load 0.1gr at a time and see what happens.  Ideally your SDs will get down to the 4-7 range.  I don't know if it is barrel harmonics, zen, or that's just how it is, but certain weights of powder do better than others.

When I was working up a new bullseye load using e3, I started at around 800 fps.  That took 3.7 gr under a 200 LSWC.  SDs were around 10.  Accuracy was good.  As i worked lower, the SDs stayed right around the some 10-11.  When I got down to 3.4 gr magic happened.  535 with WLP and 4.97 with CCI 200.  Dropping to 3.2 increased the SDs back to 10.  So you just have to try everything.  That being said, If I couldn't make it any better I'd be happy with your load for USPSA or SCSA.