Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bushmaster

chi

Bushmaster follows military specifications for their lowers so most uppers (esp those that also claim to be mil-spec) should drop right on w/o a problem. Note: a loose upper/lower fit will affect accuracy NOT AT ALL!!!! Check out Gled Zediker's book on the AR available through Brian (Check the links section).

The Bushmaster should work out fine.  My personal observations as to lowers lead me to avoid some products (though they may have updated/corrected the problems I had). Specifically, I have an Oly lower that is a bit sloppy as to mag catch and bolt hold open specs. I personally would not buy another from them - you do what you want. Also, the DPMS products I've seen were phenominally accurate but sometimes finicky feeders; I understand they use tight or minimum specifications. I would not buy into the "cult of Colt"; there stuff does work fine; but so do some of the lower priced products from other places. Finally, avoid Hesse arms at all costs - sketchy quality and non existant customer support IMHO.

If you have not seen it, check out the latest Frontsight - seems like ARs with 20" SS, 1-8" non-bull heavy comped barrels w/ floater tube, tac-latch, redi-mag, and a 40 round magazine are all the rage for both LTD and open (subject to personall preference).

Bushmaster stuff is some of the best on the market -

16" barrels are for most purposes as accurate as 20" rifles out to a couple hundred yards, and swing and index faster......... but  for longer range shots (especially with iron sights - longer sight radius, etc) a 20" would be better.

I have a 16", and like it fine.

I shoot a 16" DPMS gun and like it,its plenty accurate points and handels really nice but i am going to a 20" gun because as someone else has mentioned in one of the other  threads the 16" guns cycle alot more violently than the 20" guns,And after watching Kelly shoot i need all the help i can get.

Steve

Mostly comps are used to tame recoil - check the archives using the search function on the word "comps" for a lengthy discussion of folk's preferences/qualities of comps for the AR15 for 3gun games.

Not aware of a gas system to tame recoil, though there are plenty of alternate systems for reliability (though find me an objective test of their value) including cork-screw shaped gas tubes for full auto 16 in guns (Small Arms review) double/split gas tubes (LaFrance? see Brownells catalog) and adjustable gas systems from Fulton Armory and SSK - like those on the FAL (though SSK's is for suppressed guns).

There are some buffers that are supposed to achieve a reduction, like the pnuematic Colt buffer and the "counterpoise" buffer (gay name for a gun part, IMHO). Don't think you'll need any of that crap to win. Just get one of the recommended lowers and a good, brand name, non-chrome lined, pre-ban (i.e., threaded) match grade 20" barrels (though not a full 1" under handgaurds National Match job - too heavy) and have the comp of your choice perm. attached (dont forget to mill off that bayo lug) attach it to an upper w/ a round free float tube and spend the saved $$$ on gobs of practice ammo.

Forgot to mention that Bushmaster has a contract to produce 20mm guns for uncle sam - they are no fly by night outfit. To boot, they share technical info on their website - unlike Colt who don't think civilians ought to own firearms.

Quote: from Carlos on 9:37 am on July 9, 2002

Not aware of a gas system to tame recoil, though there are plenty of alternate systems for reliability (though find me an objective test of their value) including cork-screw shaped gas tubes for full auto 16 in guns (Small Arms review)

What were the results of SAR's testing of the spiral gas tubes on 16 inch guns?