Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Pistol.....temperatures?

TANFARM

On 12/23/2020 at 11:18 AM, AHI said:

It is reverse temperature senitive.  A load that makes 168/170 @ 40ish deg may go 150/160 ish at 90 deg.

That seems like an awfully large swing. My experience has been closer to 4-5 pf not 10-20. 

It's very lot number sensitive. Some lots not so much others very quiet a lot. I quit using this powder for that very reason. To much veration from lot to lot.

And before you say it I only buy in 16# lots.  

Edited by AHI

I'm switching to AA7 as soon as the last 16 lbs. of MP are used up for that very reason.  Lot to lot of AA7 seems to me much more consistent.  I will be EXTRA sure to chrono before any LII or LIII match.

• 2 months later...

I’ve only done some basic chronoing with Major Pistol... but I can tell you that their Auto Pistol is absolutely reverse temp sensitive. 

So is their CleanShot for minor handgun loads. 

19 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

I’ve only done some basic chronoing with Major Pistol... but I can tell you that their Auto Pistol is absolutely reverse temp sensitive. 

So is their CleanShot for minor handgun loads. 

I can tell you that it is not reverse temp sensitive. Confirmed with Shooters World ballistics lead tech and also confirmed myself.

If you have a chance you should try and re-chrono your loads. Make sure you use. Same Brass, Same bullets, Same LOT of Powder.

32 minutes ago, SeattleDude said:

I can tell you that it is not reverse temp sensitive. Confirmed with Shooters World ballistics lead tech and also confirmed myself.

If you have a chance you should try and re-chrono your loads. Make sure you use. Same Brass, Same bullets, Same LOT of Powder.

I didn’t say MAJOR was... I’ve only got one outing with it.. and I don’t think it’s the ideal powder for 9 major. Takes up too much case volume for my liking. So you haven’t even finished up a single 1lb container of it. 

I’ve got two seasons of chrono data on cleanshot and it’s absolutely reverse temp sensitive. A crap ton of dudes when sub-minor at Ga State in 2019 in 90° temps when they first started using it. They learned the hard way. 

I got an extra 25fps with Auto pistol... same lot of powder. Same brass. Same bullets. Only thing that changed was one chrono was in September.. and one in December. 

1 minute ago, Dirty_J said:

I didn’t say MAJOR was... I’ve only got one outing with it.. and I don’t think it’s the ideal powder for 9 major. Takes up too much case volume for my liking. So you haven’t even finished up a single 1lb container of it. 

I’ve got two seasons of chrono data on cleanshot and it’s absolutely reverse temp sensitive. A crap ton of dudes when sub-minor at Ga State in 2019 in 90° temps when they first started using it. They learned the hard way. 

I got an extra 25fps with Auto pistol... same lot of powder. Same brass. Same bullets. Only thing that changed was one chrono was in September.. and one in December. 

This thread is about Major Pistol. So that is a reason I responded to your post. Just read through your Auto Pistol comment LOL.