Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chiappa Rhino "Competition" Trigger Job

matteekay

15 hours ago, Jmob50 said:

I realize this is an old post but I've been wondering how you like the Rhino compared to other revolvers. I'm left handed and the cylinder release makes more sense to me on this gun.

It's my favorite platform, but I'm probably an oddball. I can say that it would probably be good for a lefty. Most of the left-handed folks I shoot with hang the revolver's frame on their weak hand thumb when reloading; the Rhino moves the barrel out of the way so doing that would be a bit less toasty.

I've had eight or nine over the years and only had problems with one. It was new, but a really old model (the sight pins were rusted when I got it). The cylinder stop was mis-fit and the cylinder release was sloppy; after a trip to Chiappa (wherein they replaced tons of parts to get it up to the same spec as newer models), it's been fine. Even the ones I've had converted to 10mm have held up well.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
On 2/23/2021 at 3:59 PM, matteekay said:

Quick group shot to demonstrate the grips (the baby Rhino isn't shown since it sleeps in the bedroom safe):

50974703451_32d9c3e3dd_b.jpg

IDPA specifically forbids using the Big Butt grip on revolvers but I wanted to maintain the same grip profile. So... I took my oldest Hogue and gave it reverse-Kim Kardashian surgery, then refinished the wood section (the "handle" is micarta). I can still apply pressure with my support hand pinky by wrapping it under my strong hand.

Hi, I am think to replace the Hogue grip but wondering the the grip angle is more straight? The factory grip angle is more like Glock. Or do you have any good suggestion on the grips?

Thank you

21 hours ago, Silversaver said:

Hi, I am think to replace the Hogue grip but wondering the the grip angle is more straight? The factory grip angle is more like Glock. Or do you have any good suggestion on the grips?

Thank you

In terms of cant, I'd say it's about the same as the factory grip. The nice things about it is that it doesn't taper toward the bottom (front to back or side to side) so you have more purchase all the way down. I wind up cutting the butt section off on all of mine but that's just because I don't like Big Butts.

It's hard to do a vertical grip on the Rhino because the frame itself is angled. I think the only vertical-ish ones I've seen are the finger groove models from Form but I've never held one.

1 hour ago, Silversaver said:

Thank you. Now I have some idea of the grip. I’ll probably getting the finger groove version for Charging Rhino. It is  a very nice revolver and I like to make it more pleasant to shoot

I ran those for a long time (until Hogue put theirs out). They're really nice.

4 hours ago, matteekay said:

I ran those for a long time (until Hogue put theirs out). They're really nice.

I’ll order one to try out. I did not like the big butt too haha. Not sure how difficult to cut them off since I’m not sure if I have the skill

thank you once again. Order placed since finger groove is not in stock.

5 hours ago, Silversaver said:

I’ll order one to try out. I did not like the big butt too haha. Not sure how difficult to cut them off since I’m not sure if I have the skill

thank you once again. Order placed since finger groove is not in stock.

Awesome. Always happy to help if you have more questions about the platform.

I'll be honest - it's a little nerve-wracking to take a $130+ grip and stick it under a miter saw. Definitely give the Charging Rhino grips a whirl first and see if you like them.

9 hours ago, matteekay said:

Awesome. Always happy to help if you have more questions about the platform.

I'll be honest - it's a little nerve-wracking to take a $130+ grip and stick it under a miter saw. Definitely give the Charging Rhino grips a whirl first and see if you like them.

I've started using big butts, but they don't feel right to me.  Finally decided it was pushing my hand awkwardly, it pushed the bottom of my hand too far forward.  So took a dremel to it until it felt right.  Then sprayed it with rem oil and it looks normal.

One thing if you produce dust while working on a bit butt, wear a mask.  I read somewhere that the dust has some harmful ingredients.

3 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

I've started using big butts, but they don't feel right to me.  Finally decided it was pushing my hand awkwardly, it pushed the bottom of my hand too far forward.  

Yeah, exactly that. They're disallowed in IDPA anyway (hence the modification) but I've also stopped using them on my N-Frames. I like the added length, but I want as much contact between my support hand and my shooting hand as possible. The butt leaves a slight gap unless turned down like you describe.

2 hours ago, matteekay said:

Yeah, exactly that. They're disallowed in IDPA anyway (hence the modification) but I've also stopped using them on my N-Frames. I like the added length, but I want as much contact between my support hand and my shooting hand as possible. The butt leaves a slight gap unless turned down like you describe.

Didn't realize you were shooting idpa.  

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, I was surprised to see a guy at the club range with a 4" Rhino in .357 - and he let me fire a few rounds through it. He said that he shot IDPA with it, and occasionally IPSC. Using "L Frame" speedloaders.

I quite liked it.

• First impression: grip angle is very slack. Even more thumb and index finger forward than with a Glock. I don't find that good or bad: just something you'd have to get used to. The owner warned me to curl my thumbs down. It might be even easier, than with S&W or Ruger, to get a thumb too near the cylinder gap.
  • Sights looked sharp. This one had a colored dot on front sight and two different colored dots on the rear sight.
  • Double action trigger was quite nice: smooth, not heavy, and the pull felt relatively short.
  • The gun didn't jump much but the rounds were Minor PF .38s.

Easy to shoot once I got my wrists angled so that sights were aligning. I was easily hitting the plates that we had up at around 20 meters.

On 4/2/2023 at 1:16 AM, matteekay said:

There's two of us?!?

Now there are 3. I’ve sporadically run a .40 cal 50DS in steel and as an Outlaw wheel gun in IDPA matches. Need to get it to an ICORE match but the semi-local ICORE match is same day as the actually-local IDPA match, and…well… close & easy keeps winning out. 

Really a fun revolver, and always generates interest. 

1 hour ago, ben b. said:

Really a fun revolver, and always generates interest. 

I think it's an underrated platform. It's not a magical solution (if your fundamentals suck with a S&W, they'll suck with a Rhino (like me)) but it's a viable option for wheelgun games.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, UpYoursPal said:

This is probably more of a general revo question, but how low can you get the pull weight on these and still shoot factory ammo?

Not very low if you want it to set off everything. If you can stick to factory Federal ammo, probably upper-8's or low-9's (complete ballpark figures).

41 minutes ago, perttime said:

When I shot a 4" Rhino with Minor .38 Specials, it felt quite gentle. Any impressions with Major loads?

Any trouble with durability using Major or full power loads?

I have a .40 (and matching 10mm) load that's around a 171 power factor. I recently loaded a 132 PF test load and ran them side-by-side. 

The major load's recoil is sharper but the difference was less dramatic than I anticipated. Still, there's no getting around that you're shooting a major load from a revolver that weighs less than some Glocks. I have tens of thousands of rounds through both of my 4" .40/10mm guns and there's no mechanical wear that I can point out. The finish has suffered a lot more from coming in and out of the holster.

1 hour ago, perttime said:

Thanks!

No particular issues with recoil and durability, then 👍

Nothing I've noticed. I just check/re-tighten the sideplate screws and make sure the sight pins haven't walked when I've shot it a bunch.

• 4 weeks later...