Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RImfire Rifle Optic Choice?

cbrussell

I plan on entering the rimfire rifle world in Steel Challenge. The myriad choices of an optic have me baffled. Which manufacturer, type and size reticle would be preferable? I am very interested on what works best so I can make an educated first time purchase.

Thanks.

I use a 5moa Trijicon SRO on my RFRO gun.  It does triple duty as my optic for CO, RFRO, and RFPO.

Whichever optic you get, try to inspect it in person first.  I've noticed that some optics use a dot that flickers at a very high framerate (presumably to save battery) instead of one that is constantly on. 

When stationary it's hard to notice but it can be very noticeable and distracting during transitions.  I've returned three optics because of this visual characteristic; I find it very hard to track a flickering dot when transitioning at high speed.

Sig Romeo 3 XL with 3 MOA dot because the large glass helps find the next plate during transitions and the small dot allows me to see the rest of the plate around the dot.  For SC it's all about getting your hits.  Run the same optic on the RFPO.   Same on the Carry Optic guns except in 6 MOA.

BC

Sig-Sauer-Romeo-3-XL-Red-Dot.jpg

First you should decide if the rifle will be a dedicated SCSA gun, or you might use it for other things.

I have used 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 12 MOA dots for SCSA.  8 and 12 are the best for SCSA, IMO.  5 and 6 are also very good, and useable for some precision shooting.  If you also want to hit silhouette targets at 50 yards you'll need a 1 or 2 MOA.

One of the problems I have is shooting at two clubs where the targets face East and the sun is coming up behind you.  The red dot is almost invisible on thoase stages.  So I took my bullseye optic off and mounted it on my rifle.  It has a long hood and a polarizing lens you can screw in the front.  The polarizer lets you dim the view in the tube so you can see the dot superimposed on the target.  You must shoot two eyed for this to work.  Here is the sight.  http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_008.htm  Another advantage is you can set the dot for the best MOA for an application.  It is no heavier than a C-More railway.

For what it's worth.  Several of the top world record holders in SCSA Rimfire Rifle optic use C-More Slideride.  I went to Sig Romeo 3XL's for a while and went back to slideride.  Sig is a good optic but much more expensive.  I put the Sig on pistols.  BTW............C-More Slideride diodes can be changed very easily for about $45 if you want to increase/decrease your MOA.  My guess is there are several different types of red dots in use at your local SCSA match.  Ask a fellow shooter if you can look at theirs.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

One of the problems I have is shooting at two clubs where the targets face East and the sun is coming up behind you.  The red dot is almost invisible on thoase stages.  So I took my bullseye optic off and mounted it on my rifle.  It has a long hood and a polarizing lens you can screw in the front.  The polarizer lets you dim the view in the tube so you can see the dot superimposed on the target.  You must shoot two eyed for this to work.  Here is the sight.  http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_008.htm  Another advantage is you can set the dot for the best MOA for an application.  It is no heavier than a C-More railway.

You can do the same thing by putting a piece of tape across the front of your red dot...  It looks odd, but you can see the sight picture as long as you keep both of your eyes open...  Good for training to keep both eyes open.

14 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

You can do the same thing by putting a piece of tape across the front of your red dot...  It looks odd, but you can see the sight picture as long as you keep both of your eyes open...  Good for training to keep both eyes open.

I know.  When my SRO 5 MOA comes back from repair I'll decide whether to put it back on.  I kind of like the ability to choose dot sizes for the rifle, and the polarizer doesn't look weird.

• 2 weeks later...

...and I simply threw a Primary Arms Advanced Microdot on mine, and that was good.

It is a rifle---the dot is always going to be close to your eyes, and always in the same spot, from a stable position.  As such, dot size doesn't have nearly the amount of importance that it does for a pistol (in terms of your eyes picking it up quickly, and so on).  Just needs to have a good brightness.

Nothing wrong with the various optics that people have said so far, I'll note.  And the slideride is a solid choice, used by MANY people.

But if you don't feel like spending that much (or at least, not initially), that's okay.  Plenty of other things can be worked on before your dot is the only thing that holds you back from winning, as long as it is bright enough to see.  :)  (A good trigger makes a HUGE difference comparatively in Steel Challenge, for example.)

The PA dot is $149, 2 MOA, and it didn't stop me from breaking 70 seconds at a major match in RFRO.

--

L3232

Holosun 510 with the large window on my 10/22 BRN22 in PMACA chassis, and MKIV lite (looks big on the pistol, but easy to track the dot)... the solar cell on the Holosun automatically increases the dot brightness with increase in ambient light... which I really like shooting in bright Florida sunlight

Les

L747

Edited by Les Snyder

like @Les Snyder stated: I have the Holosun 510c's on my PCC and Rimfire rifles.  I use the 507c on my pistols and looking to change that to the 510c.  Might look funny but I love that big window.  I had C-more with the 8moa dot and I felt like it was too big.  I think that might have been because in order to see it i had to turn it way up and then the dot flared making it even bigger.  Right now I like the consistency I have with the Holosun's.  Window sizes might be different, but the dot is the same size.