Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jig used to trim 223 for 300BLK

Nick_shoots_fast

I use the Harbor Freight mini chop saw along with a small, inexpensive jig I got off Ebay.  It works.  Quick debur then run through forming, then "Worlds Finest Trimmer) to final length.  Been working great for me.  Now I have a Lee case trimmer but haven't tried that yet.  Inexpensive but seems to work ok for others.

19 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I have been wanting to start doing this too. I have seen some vids where they resize to 300 before trimming. Is there a best way? I had also been looking at this jig

https://www.zepreloading.com/store/p3/300_AAC_Blackout_case_cutting_jig_.html

I was going to say,  the jigs with the ball detent to hold the case (like this one) are really great. I borrowed a buddy's to cut some cases down and the ball detent made it easy and fast, just like you see in the video.  Most others you need to keep your finger on the case to hold it in position while it get cut and is a PITA.  The ones without the detent are usually cheaper because they are just 3D printed.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:38 AM, Intel6 said:

I was going to say,  the jigs with the ball detent to hold the case (like this one) are really great. I borrowed a buddy's to cut some cases down and the ball detent made it easy and fast, just like you see in the video.  Most others you need to keep your finger on the case to hold it in position while it get cut and is a PITA.  The ones without the detent are usually cheaper because they are just 3D printed.

I’ll probably get this. I like the idea of cutting the cases longer and just trim them once they go thru the sizing die. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2020 at 1:50 PM, Chillywig said:

I have been wanting to start doing this too. I have seen some vids where they resize to 300 before trimming. Is there a best way? I had also been looking at this jig

https://www.zepreloading.com/store/p3/300_AAC_Blackout_case_cutting_jig_.html

Thanks Chilly for posting this link. Just ordered a jig and it shipped the next - hope to have here this week to start cutting down some brass....

On 2/7/2021 at 8:08 AM, Sigarmsp226 said:

Thanks Chilly for posting this link. Just ordered a jig and it shipped the next - hope to have here this week to start cutting down some brass....

I have used the this jig and it works well. If you look some guys on you tube have made some fancy shaving catchers. I just put the whole thing in a large tray to contain the mess but have not been doing huge volumes of brass.

FYI answering my own question from above - I cut, then size and then trim to length

Good luck

Thanks for the picture and the "idea" of using a large tub to manage this process.  I think after I get the jig mounted I will attach the saw to a piece of 3/4" plyboard and then drop the entire unit into a 18" x 28" tub I have that has 4" walls on it.....I, like you, will not be doing thousands of these at a time but my plan is to do several hundred in each batch until I can get some brass accumulated.  Good news is I have a brand new Giraud Three-Way Trimmer in my inventory so this will allow me to cut, size, and then trim to length - as you stated.....

One last question please -  How long does a blade last on the HF cut off saw and do I need to stop after XX number of rounds to allow the blade to cool? 

Thanks Again for the help and guidance.....Mark 

Edited by Sigarmsp226

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 3:54 PM, Sigarmsp226 said:

Thanks for the picture and the "idea" of using a large tub to manage this process.  I think after I get the jig mounted I will attach the saw to a piece of 3/4" plyboard and then drop the entire unit into a 18" x 28" tub I have that has 4" walls on it.....I, like you, will not be doing thousands of these at a time but my plan is to do several hundred in each batch until I can get some brass accumulated.  Good news is I have a brand new Giraud Three-Way Trimmer in my inventory so this will allow me to cut, size, and then trim to length - as you stated.....

One last question please -  How long does a blade last on the HF cut off saw and do I need to stop after XX number of rounds to allow the blade to cool? 

Thanks Again for the help and guidance.....Mark 

I would imagine since we are only cutting brass the blade life will be very long. I have been doing small batches too and have not let the blade cool but have not done that many total so I am just making an assumption on blade life.