Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark VII Evolution with Mighty Armory Dies - Case Lube for Pistol?


Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I’m upgrading from my Hornady LNL AP to an Evo with drive.  I’m thinking of setting up the new Evo with Mighty Armory dies, with a sizing only die in the primer station of the press (I like the decapper with sensor). 

 

In the past I’ve used Hornady One Shot to lube my 9mm cases in a Hornady sizing die.  It worked great.  But I was only at 900 rounds per hour max (case feeder and MBR).  Bumping up the speed, I just thought I’d ask anyone with the MA die - should I lube? Will One Shot be fine? Or should I just run dry?  There’s a suggestion of using the lanolin mixture but I really want to (a) one pass load, (b) not deal with powder sticking to the lube on the neck area (which I read can happen, I’ve never done it) and (c) not have to worry about removing the lube after.

 

To the extent it could matter I dry tumble with media treated with Flitz or FA additive.

 

Thank you

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only one opinion but I run a Dillon 650 and most recently a Evo without a drive. I give all of my pistol brass a light coating of One Shot because without question I can “feel” the difference in the handle pressure required to cycle both presses and I am doing one pass loading of 9mm on my Evo so every station has something going on...This is just my method but once I tried a couple of shots of One Shot I will not go back to reloading dry brass again....
 

I do think a lot of the feedback you receive will be based on weather you clean your brass with wet tumbling (I do) or corn/walnut media...Corn and walnut leave a “slick” residue on your brass that wet tumbling does not so that is the main reason I use One Shot....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the tnt sizing die and I can't get it to run on the press well, even if I move the clutch from 3 to 8. Using lanolin it still stops on most cases that have glock bulge. Plus it scratches them, like many others here have reported. I emailed him, with no response. Would look elsewhere for a sizing die. A lee u die does the same thing, better, and for 1/5 the cost.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nxfedlt1 said:

I have the tnt sizing die and I can't get it to run on the press well, even if I move the clutch from 3 to 8. Using lanolin it still stops on most cases that have glock bulge. Plus it scratches them, like many others here have reported. I emailed him, with no response. Would look elsewhere for a sizing die. A lee u die does the same thing, better, and for 1/5 the cost.  

Wow.  Thanks for the feedback.  I’ve been all over the forum and it’s tough to tell when people are giving feedback on the old version of the sizer, or the TNT version.  This is good to know about the TNT.

Edited by Rfeustel
Misread quoted text.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Brass Juice case lube has been really good for us. We upgraded from a Hornady LNL to a Mark 7 EVO. So long as we take good care of the press, it spoils us. Maintaining the machine is just as important. Grease and Starrett machine oil is all you need for the press along with brass juice case lube and wash 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Merldizzle said:

Brass Juice case lube has been really good for us. We upgraded from a Hornady LNL to a Mark 7 EVO. So long as we take good care of the press, it spoils us. Maintaining the machine is just as important. Grease and Starrett machine oil is all you need for the press along with brass juice case lube and wash 

Thanks, Merldizzle.  I don’t have the press, but do have the Grease, syringe, and Starrett already here.  I’ll look at the brass juice lube.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rfeustel said:

Thanks, Merldizzle.  I don’t have the press, but do have the Grease, syringe, and Starrett already here.  I’ll look at the brass juice lube.

 

Sure thing,

Here's a link to their site for you. Brass Juice Link

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, Rfeustel said:

Couldn’t tell from the site - does the lube need removal before firing? 

 

Sorry for the delayed response, some folks like to dry tumble to remove any left over lube/residue.  I personally don't have a need to wipe or remove the lube when used in my factory Sig guns. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37-oz-PEG-75-Lanolin-Sold-by-Weight-/254629671054?hash=item3b491c708e

 

This is what Wayne at MA recommends for his dies.  I cut it  1-9 with the 99% alcohol.  Trick is to spray liberally and wait 15-20 for it to evaporate,  it will not gum up the dies like one-shot or dillon lube, no experience in brass juice..  I Also dont have to media tumble in the end to remove the excess case lube.  I bought the 10oz jug of it and have enough to last a long time and I reload for 4 of us that shoot.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, Rfeustel said:

Couldn’t tell from the site - does the lube need removal before firing? 

 

 

I  actually have experience with that machine, the TNT die as well as the Lee under sized die. PICTURE ATTACHED.

 

I highly recommend you use One shot. I have tried the Dillon, super gunky and sticky, I don't want to do chemistry and cut lubes and have to pour into sprayer so or bottles. 

Spray one shot into a big ziplock bag with the case on there. shake them up and throw into a container to let dry. wait 15 minutes before loading. it will make your machine run smoother and keep it from "jerking" I will also agree with NXFED that the lees run just as good on that high end of a machine. Because it was three different ways to index you don't run into the issue that you do with a 650, 750 and a bit on the 1050 where the non taper die bottom like the Dillon will crush cases from time to time if they are not perfectly aligned with the die. If you look at my picture I run Mighty on my Open Pistol and run Lee for my Steel gun and to be honest with you the cheaper Lee sometimes produce more consistent numbers than the fancy Mighty.

 

After much running and help from Mark 7. I will absolutely suggest you put a top and bottom dwell on what ever speed you set it up at AND!!!! and you set you seating and powder drop at the speed where you are going to load. The powder drop will NEED the dweel to dispense Open Pistol loads fully and re fill. If you change the speed it will most freeing definitely change the powder dispense charge and seating depth. So don't set it up and running it down then up. Set it up by doing a complete stroke at the proper speed. Hope it helps. PM me if you have any questions. 

 

IMG_0163.HEIC

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Stjs45 said:

 

I  actually have experience with that machine, the TNT die as well as the Lee under sized die. PICTURE ATTACHED.

 

I highly recommend you use One shot. I have tried the Dillon, super gunky and sticky, I don't want to do chemistry and cut lubes and have to pour into sprayer so or bottles. 

Spray one shot into a big ziplock bag with the case on there. shake them up and throw into a container to let dry. wait 15 minutes before loading. it will make your machine run smoother and keep it from "jerking" I will also agree with NXFED that the lees run just as good on that high end of a machine. Because it was three different ways to index you don't run into the issue that you do with a 650, 750 and a bit on the 1050 where the non taper die bottom like the Dillon will crush cases from time to time if they are not perfectly aligned with the die. If you look at my picture I run Mighty on my Open Pistol and run Lee for my Steel gun and to be honest with you the cheaper Lee sometimes produce more consistent numbers than the fancy Mighty.

 

After much running and help from Mark 7. I will absolutely suggest you put a top and bottom dwell on what ever speed you set it up at AND!!!! and you set you seating and powder drop at the speed where you are going to load. The powder drop will NEED the dweel to dispense Open Pistol loads fully and re fill. If you change the speed it will most freeing definitely change the powder dispense charge and seating depth. So don't set it up and running it down then up. Set it up by doing a complete stroke at the proper speed. Hope it helps. PM me if you have any questions. 

 

IMG_0163.HEIC 392.96 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks STjs!  Great advice.  Will do. I’m a One Shot user previously.  The dwell really makes sense.  Just changed my order to the apex.  Pretty psyched.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure man. Its a bad machine and once you take the time to set up it runs like a champ. I say also get familiar with it. Don't be afraid to take the shell plate off as you will need to clean it once you have a major powder spillage. The machine is so well engineered and over built that a couple of grain of powder can stop the priming or indexing.  They have some very good videos they can send you a drop box link to that goes over every breakdown and cleaning of all parts. Mark 7 has a really good Customer Support, ask to speak to Misty Kapke!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rfeustel said:

Thanks STjs!  Great advice.  Will do. I’m a One Shot user previously.  The dwell really makes sense.  Just changed my order to the apex.  Pretty psyched.

 

Oh also. do your self a favor and get you one of these electronic air dusters. Will save you money in the long run!!!

 

https://aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com/x/c/QvGQPMNTKvPmLmhe0890H1MAAAF3ltUUpgEAAAH2AbbOvzs/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W4QJ78C?pd_rd_i=B07W4QJ78C&pd_rd_w=rZsAj&pf_rd_p=2e62cf0a-1323-46ac-bbb9-19dc851997c6&pd_rd_wg=v10Jt&pf_rd_r=XDV8KNEFF0ADDDANZ13Q&pd_rd_r=38b6d910-a8fd-4c63-bb9f-bb9f8bd412b7

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stjs45 said:

More good advice,  will do.  appreciate the steer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...