Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 Grams Spring and Follower malfunctions

Stafford

Ordered two complete kits, TTI basepads, mags and Grams Spring and Follower to get to 23+1 for my Shadow 2. One works but the other malfunctions - failure to feed. Locks up the pistol requiring that I drop the mag to clear.

Is there something I need to do to get this mag working? Sand an edge somewhere or something? I have no experience troubleshooting or tuning mags.

It depends where its hanging up. First things first, try swapping around the various springs and followers into different mag bodies which you know are good. This way you can use process of elimination to figure out what the problematic part is. Once you know the part that needs attention, you can focus on the troubleshooting and the potential fix.

Also it would be helpful if you gave more info about what exactly is happening on your failure to feed. Is the bullet getting stuck on the feed ramp? Is the follower jamming inside the mag tube and failing to lift the top bullet high enough for the slide to strip it forward? Need to know the specifics to offer some potential solutions.

There are two camps when it comes to CZ magazines for CO

1. Those who prefer maximum reliability at the expense of maybe one more round
  2. Those who want the absolute highest number of rounds in the magazine and have to deal with problems

Those in camp #1 tend to stick with OEM springs and followers with maybe shortening the legs on the follower.  They get 21 to 22 rounds in without too much force, can easily lock the mags in the gun with a closed slide, don't need to tune anything to get reliability, and virtually never suffer any magazine related stoppages.

Those in camp #2 usually buy Grams followers and springs to get 23 or possibly 24 in the magazine but have to deal with constant fiddling to get close to acceptable reliability, may or may not be able to reliably lock the mag in with a closed slide, and still from time to time suffer from magazine related malfunctions.

I'm in camp #1 with my P-10F.  I use OEM springs and followers and Henning basepads.  I trimmed the follower's legs per Henning's instructions.  I get 22 rounds in the mag (+3), have zero issues locking it in during a slide-fwd reload, otherwise treat them like rented mules (drop them on concrete, never clean them inside, etc) and have not had a single magazine related malfunction

Edited by SGT_Schultz

That is a bolt over base failure and generally indicates the cartridge stack isn't being pushed up. I had to shorten my grams followers before they would slide through the magazine without binding. Disassemble the magazine and make sure there is clearance between the follower and the front/back of the mag.