Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble with ammo in the cold. What do you do?

I know how temperature can affect ammo, especially when trying to find a load that will make Major or just make Minor.  I always test my loads on the hottest days I can find. If it makes it there I know my ammo is good.

Oddly, I had a problem with my .22 Sunday while shooting a Steel Challenge Match.  Instead of getting Bang, Bang, Bang I was getting Puff, Bang, Puff, etc.

I was using CCI 36 gr. Blazers.  I had just tested them the weekend before the match at our local indoor range and had no troubles.  

My bullets were hitting the targets but just a light ping.  Four times the RO stopped me because he thought I had a squib.  He ran a range rod down the barrel each time and nothing was there so he gave me reshoots for those strings.  

All  I can think of is that the cold affected the ammo that way.  I put a handwarmer in my shooting bag for my box of ammo and I put my sweater over my mags before I had to shoot the next stage.  This helped.  By the end of the match I had no more misfires.

It was only in the low 40s so I was surprised the ammo was that sensitive.  Sunday I will shoot either my 40 grain Blazers that I've been shooting for years with good luck or Aguila Super Extra.  I'm going to test both loads Wednesday to make sure they run.  

Anyone else experience this kind of problem?

Temperature will affect ammunition.

Testing only on the hottest days does not seem the best procedure.  Many (most) powders decrease potency as the temperature drops.  Thus, unless you are always shooing on hot days, the ammunition may not make the power factor it did on the hot day.

Also, some powders have an inverse temperature relationship.  With these, they get more potent as the temperature drops

Try to determine if your powder delivers more performance at hot temperatures, or at colder temperatures.

Cold will affect primers (and priming compounds) as well.  The military specifies magnum level primers for their rifle ammunition since they do not necessarily know where the ammunition may be used.  Shooting in the artic has the magnum level primer deliver the needed heat to ignite the charge. 

Of course, with rimfire we do not have an option on the priming.  With rimfires it may be of benefit to look at the firing pin strike.  If the springs driving the hammer or striker ar lubed, colder temperatures may retard the action, giving a lighter firing pin strike.  A heavier spring may also be of benefit for cold conditions.  But it may still be the priming compound.

While uncommon, it is also possible that the ammunition has some contamination of either the priming compound or the powder, or both.  You can contact CCI and see if they will take it back and test for contamination.