Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt Rig for Cold Weather

RickT

Update: Found several possibilities designed for duty belts which appear to work on our narrower competition belts.  Cost is reasonable so I may give one of these a try.

Practicing for steel challenge with my 1911 I normally use 3 thin clothing layers including a heated vest in temperatures above 30 degrees with light wind.  This works fine and I can use my normal double belt with the inner done in the belt loops.  On a colder day I tried doing the double belt over a coat, but the only belt location that worked was actually above my pants belt, i.e. higher than normal.  I couldn't draw reliably with the gun 2" higher than normal.  I've got long legs and the belt is normally above my hip bone so any higher than that is really an issue.

I have a spare holster so I'm wondering if there is some sort of chest rig that would support a better holster placement, think "tactical" suspenders.  I don't expect to draw at a warm weather speed (which isn't all that fast anyway), but I do want to achieve a consistent grip; otherwise, shooting stages is a waste of time.

Edited by RickT
Possible solution found

Under armor is your best friend. Use that for a base layer and put hand warmers in your magwell to keep it somewhat warm.

In the winter I load up with hand warmers, under armor and my big jacket. Once the jacket comes off, I have like 10 min before the heats gone lol plenty of time to run a 30 sec. stage.