Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI / 2011 Basepads?

matteekay

My 2011 project is almost done so I'm putting together mags for it. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the various base pads offered by Dawson? It looks like there are three options that would work: the angled IDPA base pads, the standard extended base pad (.100), and the Tactical Advantage base pad. 

I think these will all fit in the box but I wasn't sure if the angled version provided any advantage over the other two.

Id talk to Dawson directly. There are several generations and brands of frames, mag funnels, mag tubes and pads out there that will make a difference on compatibility. as you are in the IDPA page, you are gonna need mags long enough to work, but short enough to fit the box with your combination of parts.

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Id talk to Dawson directly. There are several generations and brands of frames, mag funnels, mag tubes and pads out there that will make a difference on compatibility. as you are in the IDPA page, you are gonna need mags long enough to work, but short enough to fit the box with your combination of parts.

I should have clarified - I'm using 126mm tubes and the Dawson tactical magwell that's designed for IDPA/carry. 

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

If you have not purchased any mags yet, I would just find a source for stock Gen2 126mm STI mags.   Replace the spring with an ISMI 11 coil and forget about them.  They just work.  No need for a fancy base pad.

Do the basepads survive more than one trip to the floor? That was my problem with the Gen 1's.

I'm also curious - why do you need to replace the springs in brand new mags? Feed issues?

15 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Most gun makers don't make their springs.  The stock mags/springs "might" be ok loaded to 10, but then lock-back still might not be 100%.  For a $10 investment, the better springs have given me 100% reliability with my Stacatto pistols.  

Fair enough. I have a pair of them kicking around; I'll snag a third for the new mag (which will be a Gen 2).