Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 - keep the mount or cut the slide

Stafford

Started in carry optics a few months ago and used a dovetail mount from EGW to mount a Holosun on my Shadow 2. The idea was that I was going to try a red dot for a few months and see if I liked it (I do). And then, get the slide cut for the optic. 

However, at this point, the dot has remained secure and has held accuracy. I'm not sure if I should get it cut or just keep running it on the EGW mount. It seems to work just fine as is. Yeah, it does sit up a bit high, but I'm not sure that this has any effect on my shooting or not. Since this is my first red dot, I have nothing to compare to, and it is what I've become accustomed to. Aesthetically, it would probably look better mounted lower.

So, I'm sticking with CO. Are there good reasons to get it cut that will make a difference in my shooting?

Get the slide cut. It's more secure as I've found out over my 'trial period' with EGW mounts over multiple guns. I finally gave up on mounts and had the slide cut on an SP-01. With regard to difference in shooting the offset is shorter.

Will cutting the slide make a difference in your shooting?  Possibly, but it would be minor.  One difference I can think of is keeping the dot in sight when shooting from oddball, contorted positions (squatting, tunnels, really hard leans, etc).  It will be easier to keep the dot in front of your eyes when the sight is closer to the bore axis.

I don't think the mounting method has any effect on durability of the sight (as others seem to think) SO LONG AS the fit between the base and the sight is as close as possible and that the base doesn't rely only on screws to take all the shearing forces.

I do, however, wonder about the durability of bases that connect to the slide through the rear sight dovetail.  Depending on how the mount is machined there may be some significant stress risers where the bottom of the base transitions into the male dovetail, which could lead to cracks in long term use.  For that reason I consider dovetail mounts to be temporary solutions.

If you're going to have your slide milled, I would strongly recommend sending it to CZ Custom for milling for their interchangeable plate system.  That way you're not married to one optic footprint forever.

I've owned guns with dovetail mounts and optic cut guns. I even bought a Boss Components mount for my new S2, which did not work well. I'm going to be sending my slide off to be milled. If you get a good DT mount and the optic stays, it works and all. But the offset difference is pretty significant. Several inches of difference from say 7 to 20 yards. And to me, the optic comes up more naturally on milled slides.

I had 2 SP01 Shadows with the CZC milled mount.  I sold those and got a Shadow 2 Orange.  I really didn't want to cut the slide, so I bought an optic mount for my RTS2.  I actually like it better than the CZC milled mount.  It's been solid as can be.  It shoots about an inch low up close and about an inch high at 25 yards.  I don't even think about that stuff anymore.  When I pull out the open gun or my red equipped revolver there is no adjustment at all.  I don't think that you can go wrong either way.

The only advantage of a cut slide mounted dot is the hold over on close head shots is diminished.

I have slide mounted, dovetail adapter mounted and frame mounted dots.  The oldest is a FF3 dovetail mounted on a 1911 45.  It withstood 40,000+ major or near major rounds before the little plastic cover over the diode port cracked and fell off.  I also have a 1911 45 with an RTS2 mounted directly onto the slide.  No problems there either.  I converted my CZ 75 TS to an 'Open' gun for SC by installing a dovetail mounted dot.  I've used it that way for years.  I have a DPS Pro slide mounted to a custom 22 LR conversion I run on one of my 1911s.  Slide action is violent, but no problems in 3 years of SCSA.

If I was going to have the slide cut I'd want to go with a smaller dot to maximize the benefit.

There are arguments to go both ways. A dovetail mount is definitely the least "preferable" of all the mounting options, but as you've learned, there are plenty of people who get a long and fruitful life out of the dovetail mount.

Between getting a plate system and direct milling, there are pluses and minuses to both. In 2015 when CO was first announced as a provisional division, the only viable answer was direct milling. The plate systems were junk. In the past 5 years though, a ton of R&D has been performed and the plate systems available now are quite good with support bosses, stronger screws, refined CNC tool paths for cleaner cuts, etc. I wouldn't have any hesitation sending a slide out for the CZC plate system on a USPSA gun. That being said, I still prefer direct mounting, particularly for a carry gun. I just get the warm fuzzies from seeing an optic sitting perfectly in a pocket, 100% supported around its perimeter.      

• 1 month later...