Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do my open guns perform so poorly in the cold?

UpYoursPal

I would think any kinda of thin gun oil should work and if not your problem lies elsewhere.  You wernt even talking that cold.
Just a thought , what kinda case lube are you using ? and do you clean it off ? I know lanolin based caselubes get kinda tacky, and more so when it is cold.

Get a batch of clean corncob media and give your ammo a final polish after loading. 

get a properly fit gun and decent ammo and you wont need anything excotic.  If that was my gun I would lay some lapping compound to it and get a better fit.  Gun doesnt need to be so tight it doesnt function unless things are perfect.  I have guns that rattle when I shake them that can still hit 4" targets at 25 yards.

2 minutes ago, cnote said:

didn't Brian used to sell two variants of slide glide for this reason, the regular would be too thick for the cold weather

Still does, but the Lite version is listed as a working solution down to 30 degrees. A lot of the entries in this thread seem to working in temps below that.

BreakFree CLP or some other light oil like Weapon Shield might be a better choice.

4 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

Still does, but the Lite version is listed as a working solution down to 30 degrees. A lot of the entries in this thread seem to working in temps below that.

BreakFree CLP or some other light oil like Weapon Shield might be a better choice.

Yup. I use Lite but then I don't shoot below 40° 😉

On 12/11/2020 at 2:00 PM, Nolan said:

Before you leave home in the morning put two of these in a pistol sleeve along with your gun, one on each side of your gun

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR PISTOL'S MAGWELL!  Don't ask me how I know this!

https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Warmers-Hours-Maximum-Heat/dp/B00743YX4U/ref=sr_1_5

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CED-Pistol-Sleeve-P146.aspx

ced-sleeves.jpg&maintainAspectRatio=true

Bag your gun with the Mega warmers between each stage.

Happiness is a warm gun!

Nolan

Hey, just wanted to say that this worked PERFECTLY.  No malfunctions during the entire match!

8 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

Hey, just wanted to say that this worked PERFECTLY.  No malfunctions during the entire match!

Great!  I'm forced to use the heat packs here in Commiefornia when it gets down to a frigid 57 degrees.

Just kidding, we've had frost on the ground a couple of times at the start of the match......it lasted about 10 minutes.   

Nolan