Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Feed Problems with an XL650

I have an XL650 purchased in early 2008 that has loaded over 20,000 rounds of 9mm and .38 Special, all small pistol primers obviously.   It has recently started giving me primer feed problems.  The Rotary Primer Disk will occasionally not index quite all the way to the next position and the primer seating punch then hits the edge of the hole in the disk.   This happens about one cycle out of 10 or 20, not all the time.  It also happens with no primers in the tube as well as when actually reloading.

When this began, I disassembled the entire primer feed assembly and cleaned everything and that didn't fix the problem.  I also changed the primer cam for a new one and that didn't do it either. I turned the disk over in case one or more of the holes was worn on top and that didn't help.  I tried marking the holes where the failures occurred but it doesn't seem limited to certain holes and is somewhat random. 

Any thought or suggestions?  I tried calling Dillon CS but the wait times for help are huge and I thought I'd see what ideas the collective wisdom on this forum could offer.  Thanks.

There are 3 springs that matter... One is what tensions the ball bearing detent that stops the disk in a particular spot.  The one that pushes back out the arm that indexes the primer disk...  The other is the wave spring/washer that is on the shaft that the primer disk rotates on.  If cleaning the whole thing doesn't fix it changing, one or all of those springs usually does it for me.  I have sometimes also had the indexing arm get bent which needs a swap or straightening in a vise .  This is a good reason to have a dillon parts kit handy, so you have parts to swap, then when you find the culprit you get Dillon to send you a replacement.

7 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I cleaned everything spotlessly so that didn't do it.  The disk does rotate well, it just gets hung up every so often.

Which spring?

The one in the little activating lever.

1 hour ago, RudyVey said:

Guess these issues were the main reason for Dillon to change the primer system on the new 750 to the one from the 550 presses.

I don’t know. I had nothing but problems with the 550 priming system. It’s the weakest link in that press so I certainly hope they did something to improve it for the 750.

I bought a 650 and got rid of my 550 years ago and have had only a few problems pop up. There is no way I would ever see the 750 as an improved machine over the 650.

17 hours ago, Sarge said:

I don’t know. I had nothing but problems with the 550 priming system. It’s the weakest link in that press so I certainly hope they did something to improve it for the 750.

I bought a 650 and got rid of my 550 years ago and have had only a few problems pop up. There is no way I would ever see the 750 as an improved machine over the 650.

That's odd. The only problems I ran in from time to time is an upside-down primer when I try to use my Vibra prime. Since this thing is a pita, I now all pick up my primers with the tubes, and no problems. I run two 550's, one for large and one for small primers.

Edited by RudyVey

Went through the leaning, replacing springs, the whole 9 yards on a 20+ YO 650.  Decided to refurb it, sent it to Dillon for a makeover, came back and runs better than it ever has. Couple hundred between shipping and Dillon's cost, but well worth it in my opinion.

Time for an update.  Following everyone's advice, I changed the primer cam, primer index arm, the index arm spring, the detent ball, the detent ball spring and the locator tab and spring and the wave washer.  Since I have the Dillon replacement parts kit for my 650 I thought while I was in there I I'd change everything. 

Now the machine seems to be working properly so one of those changes fixed it.  I called Dillon and they are sending replacements for the parts I used so in another 12 years I'll be able to do this again.  

Thanks to all who helped and commented.

• 1 month later...