Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 mag choices

Bakerjd

If you use an Uplula magloader you can use it to push down on the second bullet in the mag and then the top one drops out.  Very easy, and once you get the hang of it, also fast. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/3/2021 at 10:37 AM, WFargo said:

If you use an Uplula magloader you can use it to push down on the second bullet in the mag and then the top one drops out.  Very easy, and once you get the hang of it, also fast. 

Terrific tip.  I tried it.  Once I discovered you had to shake the top round out it was easy.

I've switched to Brownells 10 round 9mm mags (which are really metalform / Dawson with a black coating). They work just as well as my Dawson mags but are quite a bit cheaper. They just have the same issues with trying to unload them.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new Springfield RO Elite Champion package that came with 5 of their 9 round mags-CheckMate, I think.  Two of the five refused to lock back and I could see no visible differences between them and the ones that did.  Switched followers and bodies and got variable results.  Sent them to Ed Brown on the mag trade in deal at ten bucks each and got back what looks like two of the very same mags-except with the EB etched on the lower side and two different pads with each.  They lock back each and every time.  In the meantime I bought a Wilson ETM 10 that works.  

Edited by sheepdog
add detail-mags new

• 1 month later...

Have an update for anyone still wondering. The two Mecgar mags are the cats meow. 100% reliable, easier to insert on a reload, always drop free. And the best part a heck of a lot easier to take apart to clean although I'm not know for cleaning mags. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2021 at 9:37 PM, guidedmiscle said:

After reading this thread I'm ordering some Mecgars for my Camerons Custom 1911 9mm build. Thank you all for your imput!

You wont be disappointed. I've ran mine hard. As in 3 days of locap Nats, not cleaning them once and they all ran 100%. But if you so like cleaning mags that are the easiest I've ever found to disassemble clean and reassemble. No tools required at all. 

5 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Yes. I get them from Greg Cote website though. Best mags I've found. 

Cool thanks man. I just ordered 1 for the wife's gun to try out. She likes the Dawson mags but they don't make them any more 

• 3 weeks later...

Really want to say thank you to everyone that recommended the mecgar mags. The wife got 3 more so she has 4 now and used them yesterday for uspsa. They ran perfectly and she can clean them herself witch makes my day a lot easier lol. I'm actually kinda glad Dawson discontinued their mags because they totally suck compared to the mecgars and I would have probably never bought the mecgars.