Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 mag choices

Bakerjd

Fellows I hope y'all are right.

I've been real happy with metal form and Tripp's because they run great in 4 different 9mm's

But

This thread talked me into trying some of new mecgar mags, ordered 4 yesterday.

So the search for the best mag continues LOL.

Hope they work even better.

Dawson/Metalforms are good but the rear spacer can be problematic.  Tripps run great BUT sometimes let the next round pop out to easily.

So here is to hoping the mecgars solve the issues!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just ordered six based on the comments in this thread.  My Brownell's/Metalform mags work perfectly, but I cannot strip the first four loaded rounds from them by hand.  They also handle my 1.161" OAL major ammo.  Hope the Mecgars work just as well.  If not, they'll go back.

8 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've been real happy with metal form and Tripp's because they run great in 4 different 9mm's

But

Dawson/Metalforms are good but the rear spacer can be problematic.  Tripps run great BUT sometimes let the next round pop out to easily.

Hopefully you can expend some of your ammo hoard and let us know what you think of these mags. I like my Dawson's but taking them apart and unloading them are both annoying.

9 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

But

I've never had an issue with Metalform 10 round mags other than they can be a bit of a pain to unload. I'm not doing that in the clock, so it's a non-issue for me, and the bug that makes them a pain to unload is probably the feature that prevents rounds from sliding forward (the only issue I've ever read about with Tripp magazines), preventing mags from dropping freely and interfering with mag changes,, which I am doing on the clock,, so again, not an issue.

Never had an issue with the spacer either, not sure what the issue would be,, it puts the round closer to the feedramp, which is supposed to be a good thing, no? They hold 10 rounds easily, go into the gun with no hiccups, drop freely, and feed fine.

What do the new MecGar mags cost?

6 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Never had an issue with the spacer either, not sure what the issue would be,, it puts the round closer to the feedramp, which is supposed to be a good thing, no?

From what I've seen: No.

Having the spacer at the back of the mag tube seems to let the rounds often slide forward, often to where the noses of the bullets contact/hang on the front of the tubes... just one of the ways to get to nose-dive city lol. Also, with the rounds waiting right up against the feed ramp: the fresh round only has an instant to pop out of the mag perfectly, hopefully with its rim sliding up the breech face and under the extractor, and then chamber at a steep angle, not much tolerance there. And ramped-barrel or not, most 9mm 1911 feed ramps are still steep and it's not uncommon for bullets to jam into them like a brick wall instead of actually feeding, and guns with tight extractors jamming rounds into the hood of the chamber is also pretty common.

I feel like with the rounds waiting at the rear of the tube (like any other mag really) the slide just seems to strip the fresh rounds off so much easier, and the whole process just goes smoother. The issues that are common with the other type of mags just seem to go away.

Plus, you can load/unload them like normal mags 👍

6 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Just saw, $20.00 each. That is a sweet price.

Yeah, Mec-Gar were late to the party, their older 9mm 1911 mags sucked, they don't get to charge $50 like ol' Bill lol.

Well, my six new Mecgar mags arrived to day.  I opened one and loaded it.  I cannot strip the top round from the mag.  I'll condition the spring and try again.  Also, the first round hits the feed ramp and jams.  Subsequent rounds feed.  Another big downside is they will not handle 115 HAPs loaded to 1.161".  That's a bummer, because I'm using my 1911 SCSA Open gun for USPSA Open major while my 2011 is back at the manufacturer for a frame replacement.  I disagree with @ck1's assessment.

I'll give these a couple days and see if conditioning the spring helps.  If not they are going back.  My Brownell's mags work 100%.

It'd be nice if $20.00 magazines would work reliably, I'd buy a bunch before the manufacturer realized it and raised the price.

The top round not easily stripped by hand doesn't bother me, cause it probably means the top round won't be dragged forward preventing the magazine from dropping free. 

59 minutes ago, zzt said:

Well, my six new Mecgar mags arrived to day.  I opened one and loaded it.  I cannot strip the top round from the mag.  I'll condition the spring and try again.  Also, the first round hits the feed ramp and jams.  Subsequent rounds feed.  Another big downside is they will not handle 115 HAPs loaded to 1.161".  That's a bummer, because I'm using my 1911 SCSA Open gun for USPSA Open major while my 2011 is back at the manufacturer for a frame replacement.  I disagree with @ck1's assessment.

I'll give these a couple days and see if conditioning the spring helps.  If not they are going back.  My Brownell's mags work 100%.

They are hard to unload, I use a small piece of 1x2 and push them foward. 

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Which one's, are they the ones with the basepad that has 8 circles on the bottom for marking them (those are the ones I've been talking about)..?

I ask because Mec-Gar has older ones the suck that share the same SKU for some reason...

57 minutes ago, ck1 said:

Which one's, are they the ones with the basepad that has 8 circles on the bottom for marking them (those are the ones I've been talking about)..?

Eight circles.

23 minutes ago, zzt said:

Eight circles.

Damn. Sorry if they don't work out for you. Sounds like you can return them if they're a no-go, so that's good at least.

I haven't used anything other than the Mec-Gars since I got them and haven't had a single issue at all through ~3000rds (probably more) with them, have never cleaned them. Best 9mm 1911 mags by a long shot for me... compared to ETM's/Metalform's/Dawson's/Tripp's, it's not even close...

IDK about them working with that long 1.161 OAL you mentioned (I've only really ran them with my 1.115 "CZ friendly" loads, FMJ factory stuff, and Syntech "Action Pistol"), but they should feed... Hmm... your extractor too tight maybe?

Just wondering, what kind of single-stack are you running..? (just trying to glean what they might not jive with?)

Maybe they suck for some guns, guess IDK lol. They've run great in my 2 STI Trojan's and my buddy's DW PM9 and Springfield Range Officer so... 

Edited by ck1

On 1/13/2021 at 5:14 PM, zzt said:

Hmm... very curious. Mine were very easy to unload. Even hand cycled with me not letting the slide go forward under spring tension. Sending a PM.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:49 AM, jcc7x7 said:

But

So the post office finally delivered them today! they've been in the area for two days should have gotten them the 13th.

Out of the packaging didn't clean them take them apart nothing

They go in all my guns seat and lock the slides back. *

Loaded each with 10 rounds *

Seated fully loaded ?Ok? * think my Tripps' go in easier but they're obviously worn in some!!!

Hand cycled top round all fed. *

Can't unload the top round by hand with out lifting the bullet up.

I'll go shoot them tomorrow and see how they function live!

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 11:00 PM, Mike21STI said:

Looks like nighthawk has their own version of magazine out now that looks similar to the tripps.

I'd be very surprised if nighthawk actually makes those mags. And if the word around about them is any indication of how the mags will be..... I'd rather not buy them. 

Well, I sent my Mec-Gar mags back yesterday.  I left them fully loaded to 'condition' the springs.  No joy.  The top round had to be lifted up on the nose before you could strip the round with a tool.  Same with the next 4-5.  You could strip by hand after that.  Also, on most of them the bottom three rounds got stuck, because the rounds were loaded long.  I put my major ammo in loaded to 1.161" with a Hornady HAP.  My Brownell's mags feed 100% with long loaded ammo, so I'm sticking with them.  

33 minutes ago, zzt said:

Well, I sent my Mec-Gar mags back yesterday.  I left them fully loaded to 'condition' the springs.  No joy.  The top round had to be lifted up on the nose before you could strip the round with a tool.  Same with the next 4-5.  You could strip by hand after that.  Also, on most of them the bottom three rounds got stuck, because the rounds were loaded long.  I put my major ammo in loaded to 1.161" with a Hornady HAP.  My Brownell's mags feed 100% with long loaded ammo, so I'm sticking with them.  

Yeah, the rounds not coming out by hand is not a product of spring force, my mags are years old, and thousands of rounds through them and unloading them is still a chore. Slightly easier if you bounce the mag bottom off your thigh or table while pushing the top round out. 

5 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Slightly easier if you bounce the mag bottom off your thigh or table while pushing the top round out. 

Good tip.  I'll try it.

I remember seeing a little aluminum tool, made by CZ I believe (had the little CZ symbol on it) that hooked under the nose of the round and the back of the case, and made unloading 9mm Metalform mags much easier, but I can't find it anywhere on the interwebz. 

If anyone finds it please post it so I can get one.