Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Darrell's 9mm Load Data Spreadsheet Rev 12/10/20

Darrell

I added some test with DG Bullets 125 CN BB, Did not like HP-38 loads. Also when I pulled the bullet I noticed the coating came off and had a distinct crimp mark through the coating. I had the crimp set at .379" and bell was .383", my normal settings. After wasting 90 bullets I retested with N320 and expanded the neck to .390". I tried .379" and .380" crimps and the SD and accuracy was better with the .379 crimp. I didn't pull the bullets on this set, but the test with HP-38 the groups on every load was all over the paper like a shotgun pattern. I thought my gun wasn't settled in the Ransom Rest or something but when I tested my match loads they grouped normal (1.25"). I've crimped Bayou Bullets down to .377" and Bell .383" for years and never had an issue. If anyone has any other ideas please chime in.  UPDATE: I added N320 data for DG Bullets today.

Darrell 9mm Load Data Rev 12-10-20.xlsx

Edited by Darrell
Update data

As a 'data guy', I like how you roll, sir! Very nice.

I've been meaning to aggregate my chrono/load data much like this, so your file serves as an inspiration. ;)

I, too, had problems with DG's coating, but the loads were very respectable and accurate. Surprisingly, I didn't have the leading I expected with them, so I loaded up the rest of the 800 bullet bag to ping steel. 

I also found them to smoke a little more (and left one side of my cases very black, even when loaded to 130pf,..assuming a function of the coating).

DG-chrono-147gr-N320.jpg.a628180e1c332d13c03c14f75c1bf4d2.jpg

10 hours ago, Terp said:

As a 'data guy', I like how you roll, sir! Very nice.

I've been meaning to aggregate my chrono/load data much like this, so your file serves as an inspiration. ;)

I, too, had problems with DG's coating, but the loads were very respectable and accurate. Surprisingly, I didn't have the leading I expected with them, so I loaded up the rest of the 800 bullet bag to ping steel. 

I also found them to smoke a little more (and left one side of my cases very black, even when loaded to 130pf,..assuming a function of the coating).

DG-chrono-147gr-N320.jpg.a628180e1c332d13c03c14f75c1bf4d2.jpg

I found a good accurate load for DG 125 conical today. 3.8 and 4.0 of N320 at 1.125" and .379 crimp shot great 10 shot 15 yds 2.01 and 1.31" PF 129 and 134. I'm gonna load the other 3300 with 3.9 gr of N320. 

• 4 weeks later...

I found a great load (for accuracy) for my EAA Witness Stock II: 4.8gr N340, Precision Delta 124gr JHP @ 1.100".  
This a great outdoor load, but the club I belong to doesn't allow JHP's at the indoor range. I've been trying to find a comparable load with some Xtreme 124gr RN.  I haven't found the same accuracy yet.  Is it possible with plated bullets?  

My main sport is Bullseye / Precision Pistol with .22LR and .45ACP.  For some reason, I just feel like .45ACP is inherently more accurate than 9mm.  I've been reloading 9mm for 9yrs and 45ACP for 1yr, and 45 just seems to be so much easier.  Maybe it's caliber? Maybe it's the swaged SWC bullets?  Maybe it's the 1911 vs. the StockII?  Too many variables.

9 hours ago, Hammbone said:

I found a great load (for accuracy) for my EAA Witness Stock II: 4.8gr N340, Precision Delta 124gr JHP @ 1.100".  
This a great outdoor load, but the club I belong to doesn't allow JHP's at the indoor range. I've been trying to find a comparable load with some Xtreme 124gr RN.  I haven't found the same accuracy yet.  Is it possible with plated bullets?  

My main sport is Bullseye / Precision Pistol with .22LR and .45ACP.  For some reason, I just feel like .45ACP is inherently more accurate than 9mm.  I've been reloading 9mm for 9yrs and 45ACP for 1yr, and 45 just seems to be so much easier.  Maybe it's caliber? Maybe it's the swaged SWC bullets?  Maybe it's the 1911 vs. the StockII?  Too many variables.

Have you tried coated bullets in your S2? That's all I run in mine. Is your barrel reamed?