Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Defining rules for outlaw matches

broadside72

What are most folks doing for rules for their outlaw matches. I know USPSA doesn't like any reference to USPSA or their rules for unsanctioned events. Not sure about other orgs.

I do get the irony of having rules at an outlaw match, but there are safety concerns and competitive equity issues. I'd rather not write a complete set of rules if there is something out there already.

42 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Use USPSA rules. Call it Action Pistol.

They don't like anyone using their brand for unsanctioned events. I really don't want to do that at our affiliated club. You need to reference the rules somehow and once you tag it USPSA they want their $$

45 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

When I ran outlaw 3 gun I made my own rules. It was more work than running it 

That is what I was trying to avoid. Hoping some generic ruleset was already out there. 

1 hour ago, broadside72 said:

They don't like anyone using their brand for unsanctioned events. I really don't want to do that at our affiliated club. You need to reference the rules somehow and once you tag it USPSA they want their $$

That is what I was trying to avoid. Hoping some generic ruleset was already out there. 

Don’t publish that you use USPSA rules. Just know that they are what you use. I know of multiple clubs that do practice leagues, action pistol, combat handgun, etc that use USPSA rules. You just don’t publicize it. 

3 hours ago, broadside72 said:

What are most folks doing for rules for their outlaw matches. I know USPSA doesn't like any reference to USPSA or their rules for unsanctioned events. Not sure about other orgs.

I do get the irony of having rules at an outlaw match, but there are safety concerns and competitive equity issues. I'd rather not write a complete set of rules if there is something out there already.

If you don't have some sort of scoring software to do your scoring, I would highly recommend going with time plus.  Two hits anywhere in the brown = neutralized, for an example.  It makes walking forward to score the targets a whole lot faster.  Not neutralizing a target could be a 5 second or a 10 second penalty.  

When I ran outlaw 3 gun, we also used reduced size targets for the rifle targets since we were on pistol bays.

In theory, if you wanted to make it more challenging for the pistol shooters, you could cut off the D section of a USPSA target.

Whoops!

I forgot to add, it makes the calculating part of the scoring after the match go a lot faster too.  Their raw stage time plus whatever "Failure to Neutralize" (FTN) penalties (5 seconds or 10 seconds each)

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 7:34 PM, broadside72 said:

USPSA has zero control over a match that isn't affiliated with them.  What are they going to do about it?

USPSA may want their money from some outlaw match that used their rule, good luck collecting.

• 8 months later...