Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI STEELMASTER - Problems and Solutions?

MuayThaiJJ

Hello former and current Steelmaster owners,

I am helping my cousin with his Steel Master. Can the short barrel/small comp be replaced with a new one to run heavier loads and help with muzzle flip? Here are some ideas: longer 5.5" T2 Trubor barrel or the same length 4.15" 2 Trubor barrel. Also, is the Aftec extractor a must (along with a new mount to help eject rounds)?

Thoughts?

thanks!

Edited by MuayThaiJJ

Follow up questions:

1. Did anyone feel the need to put a slide racker on?

2. Did anyone solve the problem with casings bouncing back into the ejection port by replacing the slide ride with a new Optic that didn’t have a long body?

thanks

Edited by MuayThaiJJ

I have the  DVC steel, and I run minor power bullets with zero muzzle flip all day long.  As far as the extraction issues, I just tuned my normal exractor, and its about 99% reliable.   Id say make a few different loads with different bullet weights/powder combos to see what works before you change barrels.  You may also try swapping recoil springs to see if any improvement comes from it.  

3 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Follow up questions:

1. Did anyone feel the need to put a slide racker on?

2. Did anyone solve the problem with casings bouncing back into the ejection port by replacing the slide ride with a new Optic that didn’t have a long body?

thanks

Fixing cases bouncing back into the ejection port with a slide ride can be a very elusive task. All of my slide ride guns have perfect ejection with cases never touching the mount. It is a combination of extractor and ejector tuning and the extractor has to control the round. A lot of shooters replace the slide ride because of that problem.

Edited by TONY BARONE
More content

9 minutes ago, TONY BARONE said:

Fixing cases bouncing back into the ejection port with a slide ride can be a very elusive task. All of my slide ride guns have perfect ejection with cases never touching the mount. It is a combination of extractor and ejector tuning and the extractor has to control the round. A lot of shooters replace the slide ride because of that problem.

Will the existing mount on the Steelmaster work better with ejection by merely replacing the C-More slideride?

Most people use an offset mount for the Slideride in 9mm guns.  The first thing you have to do it tune the ejector.  Assuming it is long enough, reprofile the face so that the 'tip' is no lower than 3/4 the way up the face.  The area above the 'tip' should be angled up; below down.  You will probably have to replace the ejector with a new, longer one.  Read Bob Brazos article on tuning ejectors at Brazos Custom, magazine articles.

Hello: I would build a new upper with a 5.5" barrel and slide setup if you are going to shoot it alot. I use a slide ride and never have an ejection problem. You want the case to come out horizontal. The face of the ejector should be almost 90 degrees to the top of the ejector. I run a standard STI/Allchin mount with a C-More slide ride. If you are going to shoot major through the Steel master you will need a stiffer recoil spring in the 9lb range. That pistol was designed for Winchester white box at around 140-145PF originally. Thanks, Eric

Thanks guys, my cousin is new to comp and open guns, and isn't the best at gunsmithing and tinkering so I am taking this project on.

So far I got an Everglades Horizontal Mount from another member on here, do you guys think this along with tuning the extractor will suffice?

•  

The Steelmaster has a T1 Trubor:

Barrel_T1.png

The Matchmaster has a T2 Trubor:

Barrel_T21.png

I found a 4.15" barrel with a T2 trubor compensator (as opposed to the T1 on the Steelmaster). This appears to be the Matchmaster barrel. Will this be effective shooting factory loads 115gr? Or is it not worth it?

thanks dudes

N

Edited by MuayThaiJJ

1 minute ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have a better comp setup than that. It is a one piece barrel setup as well with my comp design cut into a STI blank. Thanks, Eric

hi Eric, good for you that sounds good. Can you please share more—Pictures and info on where you got it?

M, I have two of Eric's custom comp cuts in Trubore barrels.  They wok very well for major loads and 140 PF minor loads. I'll attach a pic.  Aside from the efficiency, there is room behind the chambers to put two 3/16" poppels in the comp, rather than in the barrel.  I have two done that way.  Another advantage of his comp design is the six vortexes of exhaust gas go out at angles, and forward.  That helps drive the muzzle down and presents a clear view for the follow up shot, because the gasses are not going straight up as with a conventional comp design.

Bear in mind that a Trubore blank needs a LOT of fittin to make it work.  In fact, you cannot even get it into the gun until you have contoured the 'hump'.

Eric's Comp.jpg

Edited by zzt

1 minute ago, zzt said:

M, I have two of Eric's custom comp cuts in Trubore barrels.  They wok very well for major loads and 140 PF minor loads. I'll attach a pic.

Eric's Comp.jpg

Nice, did you also replace the T1 barrel in your Steelmaster?

• 2 weeks later...

Besides the looks, any issues of the side mount (i.e. engaging targets R -> L?   Also do you know what year your Steelmaster was produced? I do so like the form factor, old school looks, and white box ammo aspect of these guns.

Edited by aalbert