Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Offset red dot mounting angle

Blackstone45

The primary optic on my rifle is a Primary Arms LPVO and I have an RMR on an Arisaka offset optic mount. The Arisaka mount lets me mount the red dot at either a 35 degree or 45 degree angle. 45 degrees is the standard, but I do like the 35 degree option as it lets me maintain my cheek weld. The main issue with the 35 degree angle is that the windage turret of my scope obscures about the lower left quarter of the red dot. I'm wondering if this reduced field of view might be a problem or if it's an acceptable tradeoff.

I have the Arisaka also and mounted at 45 initially to avoid the obstruction.  after 1 match I changed to 35.  so I lose part of the field of view but the 35 just feels better and I don't really notice the loss on a stage with both eyes open.  I see that obstruction a lot during dry fire ... but it hasn't been a problem after the buzzer goes off

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it depends on how you use the RMR. My offset dot is sighted the same as my scope. My main use is for those hard /awkward leans. In those instances my cheek positioning is already off.  fFor that use I find the 45 degree to be better. I’ve settled on the Midwest Industries offset mount. It puts the sight just a bit further out than most other mounts, which suits my intended use. 

I run these at 35 pretty successfully. I think this mount is an advantage in open once your used to the index. Your dot and reticle are exact same height. Bigger window dots help as well. Very innovative I think.

Edited by inertia

• 6 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 10:54 PM, emjbe said:

I have the Arisaka also and mounted at 45 initially to avoid the obstruction.  after 1 match I changed to 35.  so I lose part of the field of view but the 35 just feels better and I don't really notice the loss on a stage with both eyes open.  I see that obstruction a lot during dry fire ... but it hasn't been a problem after the buzzer goes off

I did the same.  The 35 was a quicker and more natural position to snap to.  I was 'searching' and having to center the dot more at 45.

My LPVO has 'higher and lower' end caps for the windage/elevation because one houses an extra battery.  I put the higher cap up top on elevation, and the other on the side and it just stays out of the red dot window, even though it's relatively wide (Swampfox Justice), as I have it mounted ahead of the scope instead of behind.

The primary optic on my rifle is a Primary Arms LPVO and I have an RMR on an Arisaka offset optic mount. The Arisaka mount lets me mount the red dot at either a 35 degree or 45 degree angle. 45 degrees is the standard, but I do like the 35 degree option as it lets me maintain my cheek weld. The main issue with the 35 degree angle is that the windage turret of my scope obscures about the lower left quarter of the red dot. I'm wondering if this reduced field of view might be a problem or if it's an acceptable tradeoff.

I also have the Primary Arms LPVO.  As I mentioned above, if you have one cap that is 'higher' because it houses the extra battery and it's on the side/Windage, switch it with the elevation one which is shorter.  They should be the same threading.

But then also as I mentioned, I have my offset red dot ahead of the scope not behind it, so that may have an obstruction either way if you have it behind/closer to your eye.

Edited by MoRivera