Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Powder Recommendations

SJBriggs

Agreed, you really need to try them all unfortunately. I've tried 3n38, hs-6, Silhouette, aa7, SWMP, SW autopistol, still not settled on a powder 😮💨

For me I don't think 3n38 is all that it's cracked up to be, especially for the price.

I think Hs6 has the softest recoil for me, but the dirtiest. (Dot gets gummed up quickly)

SWMP and aa7 are a close 2nd, but like Chicago, I got the leftover "cornmeal" unburnt powder

Sil and Autopistol aren't terrible, kinda like them, different. 

Cfe is horrible, lol

But that's my opinion, could mean something completely different for everyone else.

But I thought n350 was a faster powder, compared to sportpistol/cleanshot/titgroup, those wouldn't work your comp very well

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/1/2022 at 2:04 AM, chgofirefighter said:

AA7 but each powder is unique and different for every shooter.  You want to make sure your dot tracks well, and take into consideration recoil impulse, how clean, dirty, etc the powder is, etc.  Some of the good powders have been mentioned HS6, Autocomp, AA7, etc..  Try them all and make a decision.  Each powder is subjective what may work for others may not work for you~ 

I’ve had good experiences with hs6.  Autocomp not so much.  It caused the dot to track very awkwardly for me.   I’d like to try aa7 and maybe some n350 

On 3/28/2022 at 5:15 PM, Swiftkill said:

I spoke with XXX at CZ Custom, he said AA7 is too abrasive and will destroy barrels.  He uses N350 to make major and 3N38 is good too. 125 Zero bullets.    Small rifle primers gets another 20 fps.

Autocomp is probably preferable.  but as a pro shooter and expert he's shooting N350.  That's good enough for me to start.  

I had heard from someone else recently that aa7 was considered a barrel breaker. 

2 minutes ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

All I know is I’ve heard it from two different people now.   I have no way to dispute or prove the claims.    I do know some people using that powder with success so far  🤷‍♂️

use the search function and read about AA7

FWIW I have personally shot >100K rounds of 115s with AA7. 

3 minutes ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

All I know is I’ve heard it from two different people now.   I have no way to dispute or prove the claims.    I do know some people using that powder with success so far  🤷‍♂️

I’ve been running AA7 in my open guns for 2yrs now if that helps. Biggest thing is to not overheat the guns if your shooting a practice session, heat will kill guns. I shoot almost every weekend btw 

4 hours ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

I had heard from someone else recently that aa7 was considered a barrel breaker. 

That's crazy. Heard the same thing this weekend, "it's so abrasive it will wear out your barrel". 

11 hours ago, jubi351 said:

That's crazy. Heard the same thing this weekend, "it's so abrasive it will wear out your barrel". 

The internet is a crazy place 🤣

The first I'd heard of this was on Facebook within the past few months, I believe it was a comment by Stuart @eerw

I have shot a small amount of AA7, so I can't comment on long term barrel wear, but I will contradict the statement above that it's the same powder as Shooter's World Major Pistol. The two powders have a similar burn rate (SWMP is sightly slower), but you don't get the same cornmeal residue from SWMP.

wasn't me

I havent shot AA7 since 1992-1993 from an open gun.

played with a bunch of Winchester powders back in the day of old major at 175PF.

then went to VIHT for open. 

but I havent shot a major gun in I dont know how long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing to consider is that you can buy HS-6 direct from Hodgdon with a 5 x SKU limit, which means 40lb.

Its not there all the time, but when it is, no 1lb limits etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Autocomp and 3N37. I tried running 3N38 but it felt harsh and seemed to give timing issues. Another guy from the club suggested switching to 3N37 and I never looked back, going on six years now.

Different gun I've been running 124gb Bayous with AutoComp for quite a while now as well.

Interesting enough, when talking about cracking slides, I actually sheared the locking lugs off a KKM Glock barrel about a year ago. 

• 2 months later...

Any powder is a barrel breaker if you use enough, a friend double charged 6.2gr AA2 behind a 200gr SWC.  He complained about loud and violent discharges.  Told him to pull all the bullets apart.  Didn't listen, blew up his brother's SA 45.  That's a degreed engineer for ya.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, Sarge said:

115’s often get overlooked in 9 MAJOR. They are all I use over 8gr Autocomp 

I know this is an old comment but what gun are you shooting this load out of? 

I'm currently loading 124gr PD HP under 7.4 of Autocomp for my Honcho.

8 hours ago, vegaspete61 said:

I know this is an old comment but what gun are you shooting this load out of? 

I'm currently loading 124gr PD HP under 7.4 of Autocomp for my Honcho.

Cheely built 2011.

• 4 months later...