Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Powder Recommendations

SJBriggs

Great suggestions, I really appreciate the replies. So far, I've been able to score some Autocomp, HS6, and N340. I'm going to start with those and if I can get my hands on some AA7, SWMP, or Silouhette, I'll jump on it. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, bigeric said:

I'm curious about whether there are more setback issues with 115 JHPs loaded long vs 124s

I have no setback issues with 115 JHPs loaded to 1.161".  The powder is not compressed either.

My preference is for Hornady 115 HAP's.  Right now they are made of unobtainium.  They are the most accurate bullet in my guns.  Second is Precision Delta, even though the OALs are all over the place.  I don't think I'll be ordering from them again, because the jacked up their prices during the shortage.  Third (actually a tie for second) is Montana Gold.  I will definitely be ordering from then again if I can find stock in the 15 seconds it is available.  Fourth is Everglades.  I will not be ordering from them again, because they turned out to be price whores lately, plus their bullets are not as accurate in my guns.

I received 3000 115 Zero JHPs and am waiting for 3000 more.  Everyone who shoots them swears by them.  So I'm hoping they are as accurate as the HAPs.  If not I'll use them for SCSA.

12 hours ago, shred said:

Zero JHPs aren't quite as accurate as HAPs (not much is unless you can get XTPs or Geco Hexagons), but they aren't far off and either is plenty good enough for USPSA. 

I have XTPs.  They are too expensive to shoot at paper.  Never heard of the Geco Hexagons, but I love their target ammo in 9mm and 22LR.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:47 PM, SJBriggs said:

Great suggestions, I really appreciate the replies. So far, I've been able to score some Autocomp, HS6, and N340. I'm going to start with those and if I can get my hands on some AA7, SWMP, or Silouhette, I'll jump on it. 

AA7 and SWMP are almost identical. I was having more unburnt powder in my gun then with AA7, 5" kkm hybird barrel with two popple holes. I have used autocomp, SWMP, and AA7. I finally settled on AA7 because the dot tracked better then with autocomp. Both are good powders just personal preference. I was at 7.0gn of autocomp with 1.170oal 125jhp (zeros). I use 9.7gn of AA7 with 125gn jhp and 9.4gn with 125gn blues, everything is at 1.170oal. 

On 12/7/2020 at 3:15 PM, zzt said:

Buying a pound of each is an exercise in futility.  Been there, done that.  Waste of time.  That being said, I would not have known it was a waste of time if I hadn't done that.

Here is the drill.  The 9mm case is capacity constrained.  You can go for soft, or flat, but not both at the same time.  Or you can go for a little of each.

Most of the people who shoot the fast powders like Silhouette and WAC do so under 124gr bullets because the case is not so full the powder spills out when the shell plate turns.  That doesn't help flatness or softness.  You want as much gas as you can get to work your ports and baffles.  That requires slow powders.  George nailed it above.  AA7 or SWMP powders are the way to go.  The do not fill so much they spill when loading, AND they are very compressible.  So if you have to load short for some reason you can.  Try that with 3N38.

One of the other things you try not to do in 9mm major is blow up the gun.  N340 is way to fast for major.  I know you want to shoot 125s, but I'll recommend you also try 115s.  My major load is 10.2gr SWMP under a 115 HAP for 169 PF.  It is not a compressed load at 1.161" OAL and it does not spill.  AA7 is the same powder, just manufactured in the US.  When my SWMP is gone I'm switching to AA7.  They seem to be more consistent lot to lot.

Rather than attach a picture showing how full each powder fills the case, I'll link to the article that included it.  Read the article, look at the charts, and then narrow down your powder search.  Just remember, a higher weigh of powder makes more gas, which means softer, flatter or some of each.  Welcome to Open.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/1/9/how-to-use-9-major-in-a-short-barrel/ 

What brand of barrel are you running? 

35 minutes ago, SJBriggs said:

That's as close as I could come AA7.

AA7 is the same powder as SWMP.  The only difference is it is made in the USA.  There may be some variation in lots, but what you find with SWMP will be essentially the same with AA7.  I'm switching to AA7 when my SWMP runs out, because their lot to lot variation is smaller.

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2020 at 11:04 AM, SJBriggs said:

Morning, all. I'm looking to eventually move into open division and I'm looking to get some powder recommendations. I've spoken to a few shooters at my local club, but due to the current shortages, I'd like to get some additional recommendations. When I get everything set up, I'll be switching my Honcho over to the 9mm open configuration, and I'll be shooting 125 gr JHP. I know it's a tall order, but I'm looking for a powder that: a) isn't overly temperature sensitive, b) won't fill up the case too high, c) is easy to load in my Dillon 750, d) shoots clean, and e) isn't too snappy.

Recommendations that I've gotten so far are N340, N350, and Autocomp. If there is anything else that fits my bill, I'd love to hear it. Powder is getting hard to find now too...

Thanks in advance!

Where are you with load testing? How goes it?

• 1 year later...

I spoke with XXX at CZ Custom, he said AA7 is too abrasive and will destroy barrels.  He uses N350 to make major and 3N38 is good too. 125 Zero bullets.    Small rifle primers gets another 20 fps.

Autocomp is probably preferable.  but as a pro shooter and expert he's shooting N350.  That's good enough for me to start.  

AA7 but each powder is unique and different for every shooter.  You want to make sure your dot tracks well, and take into consideration recoil impulse, how clean, dirty, etc the powder is, etc.  Some of the good powders have been mentioned HS6, Autocomp, AA7, etc..  Try them all and make a decision.  Each powder is subjective what may work for others may not work for you~