Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about PCC...

apoc4lypse

I'm thinking about buying a PCC for Steel Challenge (primarily) and maybe IDPA or USPSA.  I would want a pretty lightweight setup, so the two full rifles I'm considering are the Lead Star Prime PCC and the Christensen Arms CA9MM 16".  My other option would be to buy a Wiland LLW upper and build my own lower, though I'd want it sprung for full power factor loads and not the 80PF ones.  Do any of you have experience with either rifle, or would you build your own, or perhaps get something entirely different?

I do want to shoot both irons and optics on this one as well if that should be considered.  Any advice is welcome.

IMO, FWIW, if you're going for a lightweight gun for steel challenge why would you want to shoot full power loads in it. You don't necessarily have to go down to mouse fart loads, but a lighter load will help with recoil and be a little faster.

I only played with it a little on a previous pcc, but I tried a quick release mount for my optic on the pic rail. It worked well in that didn't lose zero taking it on and off.

Buy once, cry once. A JP GMR-15 Ultralight will do all that you are wanting. I use an ADM QR mount for my optic and Striplin Custom Gunworks sights for PCCI. You can tune the SCS buffer to your load. I had initially gone with as light a load as would function the rifle, but have since changed things around a bit. A little heavier load cycles faster, and with the right weight combo in the buffer the rifle still runs flat. 

I've been shooting a Lead Star Prime for over a year with zero issues.  I swapped out the barrel for a Wiland LLW so I could shoot the same PF in my pistol and PCC. I had originally intended to shoot factory out of the PCC, and the 16" barrel gained a lot of velocity and recoil.  I also opted for the carbon fiber handguard.  Weight without sight is just under 5 lbs. with the LLW barrel.  The only thing I don't like about the Prime is the skeletonized receiver.  If you have a case rupture the stuff blows back in you face.  Had it happen twice.  No damage, but it did sting.

If I were going to build a PCC now I'd start with something like the Taccom Billet upper with ESS bolt and ULW barrel.  They are out of stock at the moment.  Then buy a Hiperfire ECL trigger and put it in the lower of your choice.  Lead Star lowers are fine, but you can find some just as good for less money.  I happen to be sold on the Blitzkrieg buffer system.  I just got a Zulu 2.0 stock so I have more adjustments to get a better fit.

When you are mixing parts you have to be careful.  Not everything fits everything else.  If you don't want to tinker, but the Prime, shoot RN bullets and short stroke using the Blitzkrieg 3/4" slug.  You will be right where you want to be with 132 PF loads.

What @zztsaid !

Also, I believe in another thread we had earlier in the year we identified that a basic forged upper is lighter than a Lead Star skeletonized billet.   The Zulu 2.0 stock is sweet.  Smokecomposites also has some super light / $$$ stocks and grips;  

Edited by jrdoran

I bought a Taccom upper w/ ULW barrel, ESS bolt, Extreme Ultralight Handguard, and their adjustable recoil system. Lower is a FM9, with CMC PCC trigger and Hogue stock & grip. Weighed 5lbs before adding a C-more. I could've saved a little weight by using a different stock/tube/grip/optic but didn't feel it was necessary. So far I'm very pleased, the dot barely moves when shooting 135gr ammo I load for my pistol(135PF). 

FWIW, I called even though the upper was showing as out of stock and Tim was able to get me taken care of.

Edited by EarlKeese

On 12/6/2020 at 10:20 PM, apoc4lypse said:

I'm thinking about buying a PCC for Steel Challenge (primarily) and maybe IDPA or USPSA.  I would want a pretty lightweight setup, so the two full rifles I'm considering are the Lead Star Prime PCC and the Christensen Arms CA9MM 16".  My other option would be to buy a Wiland LLW upper and build my own lower, though I'd want it sprung for full power factor loads and not the 80PF ones.  Do any of you have experience with either rifle, or would you build your own, or perhaps get something entirely different?

I do want to shoot both irons and optics on this one as well if that should be considered.  Any advice is welcome.

It sounds as though you are considering two solid PCCs.  Stellar Challenge has been dominated in the last 3-4 years by JP.  I had a decision to make a couple years ago and I purchased what I believe is the best, a JP.  I would go with an ultra light weight.  You may be able to get a slightly lighter gun, not by much, but the reliability of the JP is first class.

If you change your mind

Discount Code for 5% off a gun and 10% off accessories: 56SS0916

• 2 months later...

I ended up going with the Lead Star Arms Helium.  I probably could have built something similar for cheaper but I wasn't confident enough in choosing the right bits.  But I'm very happy with this gun as is; shot it today for the first time and ended up at 100% GM across four stages.  It handles about as well as my RFRO gun although it's about 50% heavier.  Hoping to earn GM in my first official match with this gun next weekend.

Here's some video of my first stage after sighting it in - Roundabout, finished at 109% GM.

Edited by apoc4lypse

On 12/7/2020 at 10:56 AM, zzt said:

I happen to be sold on the Blitzkrieg buffer system.  I just got a Zulu 2.0 stock so I have more adjustments to get a better fit.

With the Blitz and the Zulu 2.0 - do you disable the secondary spring in the receiver tube that comes with the Zulu?

2 hours ago, KelsonAK said:

With the Blitz and the Zulu 2.0 - do you disable the secondary spring in the receiver tube that comes with the Zulu?

No.  It works wonders.  I used the Blitz Std buffer, .308 carbine spring and a 3/4" MBX short stroke adapter.  Softest recoiling system I've tried.  It's a better alternative, IMO, than putting a Wave Spring in a standard buffer tube.  Just be aware that the Zulu 2.0 buffer tube is smaller than mil-spec on the ID at least.