Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on Pro Ears

Any opinions on the pro ears slim or mag models?

will be used for indoor and outdoor shooting

I don't like to use ear plugs

Is the slim model enough protection for indoor shooting with out plugs?

Is the mag model very heavy/uncomfortable?

thanks

Extractor :o

I've been using the Pro ears for about a year now. I like them. I have the older style. The new Demensions models are even better. A couple guys bought the Dillons and really like them. They only have a 1 year warranty pro ears is 5. I have a tendency to break shit so I went with the longer warranty!

I tried the Pro-Ears and didn't like the way they fit.  I ordered a set of Wolf Ears from Massad Ayoob and find that the fit much better --- largely, I think, because of the way the muffs attach to the headband.  Wolf Ears were designed for people working around machinery 8 hours or more a day --- so I think they're built a little better for both all day comfort and for more protection.  The sound circuitry is different from the way the pro-ears sound, but I think you'll get used to it over time.   They're also a little pricier ---- around 265.- I think.

Hey Extractor

I have the Pro Ears mag, bought them used from a bullseye shooter. Since I have a very large head the bulk doesn't bother me too much. I used the CEDs (CED makes the electronics for the Dillons, I believe) and they're good too. There are two types of electronic earmuffs, those that compress the gunshots and those that cut out everything. The Pro Ears compress, and when I first started wearing them I thought they weren't working (of course, the gunshots would have been deafening if they really weren't working). I like them fine. The slim line weren't quiet enough for me. (I use my ears for a living, and I'm a pilot too, so I use heavier/larger Clark and Lightspeed aviation headsets as a matter of course. I never went for the lighter grade ones, since I have quite a few buddies whose audio careers were ended by tinitis. Hearing vs. comfort? Not really a consideration. If you're at all doubtful, I'd say go for the most protective ones, then add earplugs too.)

Hey Chris,

Didn't Matt have a hand in the Pro Ears business???

I use the Peltor electronic muffs that I got really cheap from a friend of mine and I am happy with them.

It fits my big head too...LOL

I can definitely second Chris on the "add earplugs, too" thing. Neither plugs nor muffs give you enough protection to avoid long-term hearing damage by themselves. One of the great things about electronic earmuffs is their amplification feature. Thus you can wear double protection, plugs and muffs, crank the amplification all the way up, and the muffs will still cut out the high intensity noise of gunfire, but at the same time amplify normal sounds so you can hear them even through the plugs. Kind of a "have your cake and eat it, too" situation.

Hey bird, yeah Matt B was definitely involved in that company. Not anymore - at least not amicably any more.

Everybody, the guy who started me off in IPSC over here at SWPL in Los Angeles is a VERY neat fellow by the name of Ray Lawrence. He's the Force 45 rep (www.gunracer.com/edvc) at SWPL and just so happens to be a professional audiologist (yes, folks, he fits people's ears out with those custom earplugs - the blue ones you get at the gun shows are just the molds that he makes to send in to get the real ones made up). Anyways, I'll ask him if he's got any comments about this topic. Maybe he'll post here too. Would be a great help.