Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wiland Chassis

Gregg K

Since many are posting their thoughts on the many different chassis systems available for the 10-22, I decided to share my initial experiences with the Wiland.

This is how I have it setup presently.

Wiland1.jpg.01b60a6a57b881b970340608ecf45e5d.jpg

The chassis comes with a nice printed pistol grip but I wanted something a little different so I adapted a fat Ergo Deluxe to be pretty much zero angle.

Todd is working on an adapter that will allow the use of other AR style grips but doesn't have it ready for sale yet. Being able to adjust the grip forward and back is an essential feature for me that not all chassis have.

The wide range of adjustments for the butt plate is a great feature. I hate the little 90 degree plates like the ModShot. I'm just old and prefer the more traditional butt plate. Changing the angle of the butt plate has a lot to do with how the gun comes up to that critical first target. The butt tube extension comes about 2" longer than the one in my picture, I cut 2" off the original with a Dremel cut off wheel to get the shorter length of pull that I prefer. The length can still be customized by sliding the the butt attachment clamp forward and back and locking it down when you find the right spot.

The one feature that from what I have seen is unique to the Wiland is the ability to adjust the location of the butt tube at the rear of the chassis. The butt tube can slide up and down the rear of the chassis on a rail and then be locked into place. Instead of messing with the height of the optic the chassis can be customized to make the gun come up and present the dot naturally. I think this will be a great feature when I setup my other gun for the Wiland fiber optic iron sights. The fiber optic sights that Todd makes look great and I'm excited to maybe be able to shoot iron once again.

I'm waiting to get one of the cheek risers that Todd is making to try and see which I prefer. Once I get it I'll try it out and let the timer make any decisions about what works best.

The chassis is cut out around the sides of the magazine that make using mags with no bumpers very easy. I already spent the money for bumpers so too late for me.

The hand guard is very light and comfortable and with the LLW barrel it swings and stops effortlessly. The gun has a great balance.

There are a lot of good options out there to choose from but the Wiland has the features that have the most appeal to me.

https://wilandusa.com/

2 hours ago, Gregg K said:

Since many are posting their thoughts on the many different chassis systems available for the 10-22, I decided to share my initial experiences with the Wiland.

This is how I have it setup presently.

Nice writeup...  Thanks for posting it.

I'm also considering a Wiland chassis...  I like it but I'm waiting to see how the AR grip attachment works...  Seems odd to me that you need an extra attachment for an AR grip...  Seems like everyone would rather have an AR type grip...  Same for the butt stock.

You mentioned the ability to move the grip forwards and back sound interesting...  Maybe that's why he makes a special adapter?  Got a close up of that?

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

You mentioned the ability to move the grip forwards and back sound interesting...  Maybe that's why he makes a special adapter?  Got a close up of that?

This is a shot of the top of the grip that comes with the chassis so you can see the slot that it rides in. One screw comes in from the top and the grip has a nut built in.

grip3.jpg.93ab3702f9da5958a0ce69762de31755.jpg

Here are 2 shots of the adjustment range, all the way back and all the way forward.

grip-near.jpg.10b9f90fb5217204e1e1011f26b5e469.jpg

grip-far.jpg.484bcc8649f9e504a96cec753b94009c.jpg

The adapter that Todd is working on to use a standard AR grip would just be a block that slides in the same slot. AR grips that have a big beaver tail would likely need to have it trimmed off some.

Edited by Gregg K

On 12/5/2020 at 6:02 PM, Gregg K said:

This is a shot of the top of the grip that comes with the chassis so you can see the slot that it rides in. One screw comes in from the top and the grip has a nut built in.

grip-near.jpg.10b9f90fb5217204e1e1011f26b5e469.jpg

The adapter that Todd is working on to use a standard AR grip would just be a block that slides in the same slot. AR grips that have a big beaver tail would likely need to have it trimmed off some.

Great pictures...  Thanks!

I like the Magpul K2+ grips...  Might have to trim them down a bit.

Does the grip you have come with the Wiland chassis kit?

47 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Does the grip you have come with the Wiland chassis kit?

The grip you copied is the one that comes with the chassis, it is a lot like the K2 grip, you will likely be happy with it.

2 hours ago, Gregg K said:

The grip you copied is the one that comes with the chassis, it is a lot like the K2 grip, you will likely be happy with it.

Thanks...  I like the K2+ grip because it's ruberized in addition to a good angle...  I'm used to it but would try out the one that comes with the chassis...  adding all the AR parts will make it heavier, so will try the standard parts first.

Gregg, what effect does the 4 set screws, two on each side fore and aft of the cutout do and how do you set them? Are they 4 of the 5 receiver contact points or do you remove them to take the trigger housing frame pins out?

Edited by mchapman

8 hours ago, BentAero said:

Gregg, excellent info, thank you.

So you have Todd's 416 stainless barrel?

In anxious to see what the cheek riser and hand stop look like; no photos yet. 😟

Yes, I use the stainless barrel. I'm also anxious to try the cheek riser

6 hours ago, mchapman said:

Gregg, what effect does the 4 set screws, two on each side fore and aft of the cutout do and how do you set them? Are they 4 of the 5 receiver contact points or do you remove them to take the trigger housing frame pins out?

The 4 screws are meant to allow you to remove the trigger group without taking the receiver out of the chassis. The screws can be used to snug up against the pins of the receiver. I don't use the screws to remove the trigger, I always just yank the barreled receiver out and put it in a padded vice to clean, just easier for me.

14 hours ago, mchapman said:

The 4 set screws lock the trigger pins in place should you have some loose fitting ones... I would think in most builds the screws will not be needed.

in mine they are not used ... in my wife's they are needed... both guns have TI receivers and Kidd single stage triggers ... so it is kinda fit driven

15 hours ago, Gregg K said:

The 4 screws are meant to allow you to remove the trigger group without taking the receiver out of the chassis. The screws can be used to snug up against the pins of the receiver. I don't use the screws to remove the trigger, I always just yank the barreled receiver out and put it in a padded vice to clean, just easier for me.

6 hours ago, xpierrat said:

The 4 set screws lock the trigger pins in place should you have some loose fitting ones... I would think in most builds the screws will not be needed.

in mine they are not used ... in my wife's they are needed... both guns have TI receivers and Kidd single stage triggers ... so it is kinda fit driven

Thank You guys. I am using a Magnum Research action and Wiland barrel and am trying this same new chassis. My pins are not super loose nor are they really snug or tight. The issue I am having is if I tighten the 4 screws evenly and try to get them tight, the chassis frame starts to open up or bow. I shot it once and they loosened up, I just don't want to lose one and have the pin fall out. I was also wondering if tightening them can effect the bolt action. May be just snug them and blue locktite them?

54 minutes ago, mchapman said:

Thank You guys. I am using a Magnum Research action and Wiland barrel and am trying this same new chassis. My pins are not super loose nor are they really snug or tight. The issue I am having is if I tighten the 4 screws evenly and try to get them tight, the chassis frame starts to open up or bow. I shot it once and they loosened up, I just don't want to lose one and have the pin fall out. I was also wondering if tightening them can effect the bolt action. May be just snug them and blue locktite them?

Steve Foster has a video he just posted on his FB and IG pages doing an overview of his Wiland rifles. He remarks that he uses Tandemkross pins as they have a detent ball in the end to keep them from moving.

1 hour ago, mchapman said:

Yes, I used blue loctite on them and set them to where they didn't drag on the receiver so I could remove the receiver easily for cleaning. It would not bother me if those screws didn't exist since I'm not using them

I saw in Steve's post on Facebook that he cautioned about over tightening the clamp for the butt plate on the carbon fiber butt tube, it's easy to do since it is a powerful clamp. It doesn't need to be very tight, just snug it up. I took a piece of schedule 80 riser and shaved it down a little to fit inside the carbon tube. Now I can be silly and overtighten without causing any damage, it's just easier to not have to think 🙂

Here is a picture of the insert..

IMG_1602.jpg.e75e22398de0408fe6fb1221307bbedb.jpgIMG_1603.jpg.dc3ec8a914d7ee5922998e1f0069296c.jpg

Trying to decide between the TacSol X-Ring and the Magnum Research receiver/bolt...  Can't find the Magnum Research receivers for sale anywhere (besides in a complete gun)...  Where's the best place to buy a Magnum Research receiver?

What receiver are most of you guys using in a Wiland chassis?

35 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Trying to decide between the TacSol X-Ring and the Magnum Research receiver/bolt...  Can't find the Magnum Research receivers for sale anywhere (besides in a complete gun)...  Where's the best place to buy a Magnum Research receiver?

I am using the MR Switchbolt. Here is a link to one, you may want to check out.  Magnum Research Switchbolt 10/22 Receiver .22 LR SS1022LR - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 886877376

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'm using a couple of left side charging Tactical Innovation receivers with Kidd trigger groups and Kidd bolts.

https://www.tacticalinc.com/catalog/category/774/606/1943

I had bought a Magnum Research receiver but wasn't happy with the quality of the bolt and it was going to be too much trouble to replace their propitiatory bolt with another so I sold the whole thing. The one I sold the receiver to said the bolt was not the quality of his other MR bolts and got them to replace the bolt so I guess the QC at MR has had problems too. Another high level shooter that we all know said that the TacSol product has been declining in quality and quit using them. I like the Tactical Innovations receiver but would not use their trigger group.

19 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Get the MR Switchbolt with a sporter chamber. You will have to special order it through Magnum Research and deal with a wait, but mine has been flawless after the first 200 rounds of break in. 

1 hour ago, nso123 said:

Get the MR Switchbolt with a sporter chamber. You will have to special order it through Magnum Research and deal with a wait, but mine has been flawless after the first 200 rounds of break in. 

I just bought the sporter reamer from Brownells and took care of everyones barrels here locally. No wait and the reamer has paid for itself.

21 hours ago, Gregg K said:

I'm using a couple of left side charging Tactical Innovation receivers with Kidd trigger groups and Kidd bolts.

https://www.tacticalinc.com/catalog/category/774/606/1943

I had bought a Magnum Research receiver but wasn't happy with the quality of the bolt and it was going to be too much trouble to replace their propitiatory bolt with another so I sold the whole thing. The one I sold the receiver to said the bolt was not the quality of his other MR bolts and got them to replace the bolt so I guess the QC at MR has had problems too. Another high level shooter that we all know said that the TacSol product has been declining in quality and quit using them. I like the Tactical Innovations receiver but would not use their trigger group.

Didn't realize the MR receiver was proprietary...  That wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I'd rather have interchangeable parts if possible.  it is disappointing to hear about their quality going down.

The Tactical Innovations receiver looks like a nice piece...  I definitely plan on getting a receiver with the charging handle on the left side...  It looks like the charging handle and assembly hardware are sold separately from the receiver...  Is that what you used with the KIDD bolt?  The charging handle looks kind of flimsy...  Seems like it might bind up...  Does it work all right?

Thanks again for the info!

6 hours ago, nso123 said:

What Brand and type of ammo are you using? With mine it had to be 40 grain and HV but I had to replace the first barrel, the second one seemed to be more forgiving. I am now on my 3rd wiland for it and it is pretty tempermental, right now it will only run Eley Action plus at 1280fps  CCi clean and Federal copper 40 grainers at 1235fps keep stovepiping and fail to extract all of the way.

4 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Didn't realize the MR receiver was proprietary...  That wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I'd rather have interchangeable parts if possible.  it is disappointing to hear about their quality going down.

The Tactical Innovations receiver looks like a nice piece...  I definitely plan on getting a receiver with the charging handle on the left side...  It looks like the charging handle and assembly hardware are sold separately from the receiver...  Is that what you used with the KIDD bolt?  The charging handle looks kind of flimsy...  Seems like it might bind up...  Does it work all right?

Thanks again for the info!

The Tactical Innovations receivers come with charging handle assemblies. The charging handles are plenty strong and are made pretty much like everyone else's. The Magnum research bolts are drilled and tapped and they just bolt a knob to the side of the bolt. Also the MR bolts have an inertia type firing pin that leaves the face of the hammer and has to overcome the spring to get to the cartridge rim and can only strike the cartridge with its inertia energy. The Kidd firing pin is not reliant on inertia, it gets pounded into the cartridge keeping in contact with the hammer. I do not want an inertia type firing pin in my guns that absolutely need to go bang every time. I was able to fit a Kidd firing pin in a MR bolt but it needed a bit of fitting to get it right and eliminate that inertia type firing pin.

I installed Kidd bolts in both of my Tactical Innovation receivers.

13 hours ago, mchapman said:

What Brand and type of ammo are you using? With mine it had to be 40 grain and HV but I had to replace the first barrel, the second one seemed to be more forgiving. I am now on my 3rd wiland for it and it is pretty tempermental, right now it will only run Eley Action plus at 1280fps  CCi clean and Federal copper 40 grainers at 1235fps keep stovepiping and fail to extract all of the way.

I have run mine with Eley Force, and currently run it with Action Plus. My son has been using standard Action in his without issue as well. I have heard that there were some issues with MR receivers and Wiland barrels, but think Wiland was working on that. On a little different note, some of what you describe can be the result of finicky mags. Are you tuning your mags?