Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BUL Armory +Cheely grip

Bakerjd

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Will the BUL Armory steel grip fit on a standard STI 2011 frame and work with 2011 mags?

The SAS II has a different grip attachment style, to my understanding. The original SAS I think was closer to STI, but those were never imported in enough quantity that you'd run across one.

Also, BUL stopped selling their stainless steel grips separately due to end-user mis-installation mishaps. If you do it wrong, it can crack, which is not good to say the least. :P I bought one from a dude on here, but am sending it to PGW for installation. It is not a good candidate for conversion to an STI frame, IOW.

Edited by erwos

• 2 weeks later...

After doing two guns I've come to the conclusion this isn't an optimal idea. At least milling the frame flat where the 2011 grip fits for the main screws on the grip and then drilling out the holes in the frame to fit the bushings. You end up also having to grind down the grip bushings because they stick through the frame and grip to far and you can't fully tighten the grip screws. 

I have seen where others have cut the 2011 grips to use the BUL grip screws but can't confirm if it's a decent setup as I haven't done it. 

Personally while I'm semi happy with what I have I don't expect this setup to be able to handle a lot of use. And while it's something I can say I've done with the help of a friend who is a gunsmith I'm not going to recomend it to anyone. 

On 4/28/2022 at 3:52 PM, erwos said:

The SAS II has a different grip attachment style, to my understanding. The original SAS I think was closer to STI, but those were never imported in enough quantity that you'd run across one.

Also, BUL stopped selling their stainless steel grips separately due to end-user mis-installation mishaps. If you do it wrong, it can crack, which is not good to say the least. :P I bought one from a dude on here, but am sending it to PGW for installation. It is not a good candidate for conversion to an STI frame, IOW.

In what areas is it most often cracked or broken?

thank.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:08 PM, Herbie3977 said:

Who would be interested in a metal (stainless or aluminum) grip module dedicated that will fit the BUL frame? Wondering if there would be interested for it?

Stainless steel would be nice. Aluminum is not of much use to me. If you made an injection molded one that used the tungsten polymer that Sig uses, you'd be my hero, though.

11 hours ago, yigal said:

In what areas is it most often cracked or broken?

thank.

IIRC, it's the part where it screws into the frame. If the front screws get loose or the frame isn't fit just right, that apparently has some dire effects on the attachment points.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 8:08 PM, Herbie3977 said:

Who would be interested in a metal (stainless or aluminum) grip module dedicated that will fit the BUL frame? Wondering if there would be interested for it?

are you with a certain company?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 4:44 PM, Bakerjd said:

After doing two guns I've come to the conclusion this isn't an optimal idea.

Personally while I'm semi happy with what I have I don't expect this setup to be able to handle a lot of use. 

Frame area thinned out to a point that cracking is an issue? Or ??

27 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

Yes

I was wondering if that might be the case. 

I have one of the SAS II TAC 4.25 aluminum frame guns that I've been liking and have been wondering about modding it for STI mags. I guess I'll stick with Plan A and use BUL mags. 

So on a somewhat related note; do you know if Mec-Gar P18.9 mags can be made to fit? 

9 hours ago, Tokarev said:

I was wondering if that might be the case. 

I have one of the SAS II TAC 4.25 aluminum frame guns that I've been liking and have been wondering about modding it for STI mags. I guess I'll stick with Plan A and use BUL mags. 

So on a somewhat related note; do you know if Mec-Gar P18.9 mags can be made to fit? 

Hmm I know bul and para mags are pretty similar but can't say if they are 100% compatible. 

If all you want to do is make STI mags work in a BUL it's pretty simple but slightly time consuming. You need to take about .010" off both sides of the frame where the top of the mag is. It's about the same for a para/RIA frame to use STI mags. Doing that isn't going to weaken the frame really. 

When I did the milling to get a STI style grip fit a BUL frame we milled off the rails on the frame where the mag sits because it was quicker amd simpler with the mill. Using a file will do fine for what you want to do. 

As far a weakening the frame I really can't say for sure if the way I did it will cause a failure or not but it's pretty thin where the grip screws go. Thin enough to where I had to file down the bushings to get the screws to tighten. 

15 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Hmm I know bul and para mags are pretty similar but can't say if they are 100% compatible. 

If all you want to do is make STI mags work in a BUL it's pretty simple but slightly time consuming. You need to take about .010" off both sides of the frame where the top of the mag is. It's about the same for a para/RIA frame to use STI mags. Doing that isn't going to weaken the frame really. 

When I did the milling to get a STI style grip fit a BUL frame we milled off the rails on the frame where the mag sits because it was quicker amd simpler with the mill. Using a file will do fine for what you want to do. 

As far a weakening the frame I really can't say for sure if the way I did it will cause a failure or not but it's pretty thin where the grip screws go. Thin enough to where I had to file down the bushings to get the screws to tighten. 

I guess if a person is going to go through converting for STI mags it only makes sense to look at converting to STI grips as well. It would certainly make mag well options easier. 

With that said, there are a few BUL mag well options and factory BUL mags are pretty close in price to STI mags. Taylor Freelance makes 140mm extensions too.

Maybe I'll just run the gun awhile and see what happens. No point I suppose in buying a "budget" 2011 to save money over a Staccato only to dump $500 getting various things changed to make it into a Staccato...

58 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

I guess if a person is going to go through converting for STI mags it only makes sense to look at converting to STI grips as well. It would certainly make mag well options easier. 

With that said, there are a few BUL mag well options and factory BUL mags are pretty close in price to STI mags. Taylor Freelance makes 140mm extensions too.

Maybe I'll just run the gun awhile and see what happens. No point I suppose in buying a "budget" 2011 to save money over a Staccato only to dump $500 getting various things changed to make it into a Staccato...

If I was to do it all over again I'd have just bought a staccato p with optic cut and then put a cheely grip on it. Much simpler. But at the time I wasn't planning on doing the stuff I did to it. 

2 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

If I was to do it all over again I'd have just bought a staccato p with optic cut and then put a cheely grip on it. Much simpler. But at the time I wasn't planning on doing the stuff I did to it. 

Optic cut may be something I'll have done. Otherwise I guess there ain't probably anything the gun realistically might need. 

PSX_20220806_172001-2479802.jpg

Edited by Tokarev

Regarding the addition of an optics plate; this plate from DWS might be a good option:

https://dynamicweaponsolutions.com/collections/accessories/products/2011-1911-mounting-plate

It appears to fit the legacy RMR 1911 adapter plate cut and would allow a 509T to be attached without the addition of an RMR to 509 adapter plate. I happen to have a 509T X2 sitting in its box unused. 

Hopefully DWS (and others) will be making more direct attach plates like this. 

Edited by Tokarev

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, SgtJenkins said:

Just replying to the original author of this thread. I went  down the rabbit hole of adapting a Cheely grip to my Bul Armory double stack 1911. It was a long careful process being this was my first time.

Bul custom small.jpg

Looks like it came out nice. 

Looks great!

I, too, took the plunge. Same gunsmith as original poster installed SVI/Infinity steel grip on my BUL SAS II UR Shorty open gun. Getting ready for coater now and I was going to post here when finished but figured I’d show support since SgtJenkins posted now.

42284BBE-682F-48A1-B43C-E3D28786A95A.jpeg

0020B112-B355-4821-808A-0610659A6E83.jpeg