Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BUL Armory +Cheely grip

Bakerjd

I've had this BUL Armory doublestack commander for a while now. Installed better sights from Harris Design. And shot the heck out of it. Probably about 2500 rounds so far. This is a great carry gun. I have been contemplating fitting/installing a aluminum 2011 grip to it for almost as long as I've owned it. About a year or so. The only hold back has been that BUL hicap frames differ slightly from standard 2011 style frames in 2 main areas. First they dont use grip bushings. Instead they have threaded holes and the holes protrude from the frame the same as a grip bushing would except they aren't removable per say. The second main difference is the rails for the slide. They use the same design as a 1911/para style rail design. This is why standard 2011 mags do not fit. That can be easily modified either by hand with files to open up the section in between the rails or milling the area out and cutting the frame to the specs a standard 2011 has. The latter is a much better option if you are looking to use 2011 mags on a BUL hicap. Feel free to reach out if you are looking for that service as Prasky Gunworks does this quite often on both Para style frames and BUL frames. Now onto the good stuff. I have ordered a Cheely aluminum grip that is setup to use the Geppert trigger, this makes fitting one much faster. And the Cheely tactical magwell. Gotta have that magwell. I have a few options for fitting the grip, mill the threaded hole protrusions flat and drill out holes to correct size for grip bushings or use the protrusions to fit the Cheely grip. I'm wondering if anyone else has gone down this little rabbit hole and fit a 2011 grip to a BUL frame?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s a lot of work and sounds like you know what you need to do. I would just switch to a 2011 style frame since I don’t know anyone who went that route. Good luck and post your progress should you pursue the grip change.

4 hours ago, HI5-O said:

That’s a lot of work and sounds like you know what you need to do. I would just switch to a 2011 style frame since I don’t know anyone who went that route. Good luck and post your progress should you pursue the grip change.

Hopefully it wont be as labor intensive as it sounds. But we have a mill so after I see how it looks on test fit and we do end up having to mill the frame it's not a huge deal. I do know if has been done before. The change from BUL to 2011 mags we do so much that it's a simple 10 minute process. 

17 hours ago, texasdawg said:

Would like to see pics,,, I have a Bul Bullesteros that might need a new grip,,,

Keep an eye out on facebook or Instagram. Sean Prasky at Prasky Gunworks is doing this one and a lonestar grip on a open gun he built me using a BUL Government size 2011. I decided to just let him do it since these are the first two he is doing and both are my guns. If doing yourself should be a pretty straight forward deal. Just cut drill out the two threaded holes to roughly .315" and then normal grip fitting. For the commander with the cheely aluminum grip I ordered the grip he has that is specifically cut for the Geppert trigger Atlas Gunworks sells and was planning on buying that trigger but test fit the modular trigger BUL has and it fit perfect. So decided to use it. I don't have Facebook or Instagram anymore but if you follow Prasky Gunworks they will have pics. If I get any I'll post them here. 

• 2 months later...

Sean got the grip fit today. Basicly as we thought. Ream the original holes for the BUL style grip to accept the STI style bushings and everything else is just normal fitting. Also cut frame to accept STI style mags.

123_1(28).jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, RGC said:

This has me reconsidering the BUL.

I love all 3 of mine. Although the two 2011 style ones are far from stock these days. But as stock guns they were very nice for the money. I'm hopeful that I may get this particular one back soon as I'd love to use it in IDPA CO division, they allow red dots on 1911/2011 pistols in their carry optics division.

• 3 months later...

This thread has had me thinking. I have two 2011 BULs with plastic grips and I bought the steel grip from BUL to try it out (but hasn't been installed yet--nice paperweight, though). But, I prefer the steel grip on my SVI because it's smaller and fits my hands better. @Bakerjd, is the Cheely grip any smaller than the BUL? 

16 hours ago, jt1207 said:

This thread has had me thinking. I have two 2011 BULs with plastic grips and I bought the steel grip from BUL to try it out (but hasn't been installed yet--nice paperweight, though). But, I prefer the steel grip on my SVI because it's smaller and fits my hands better. @Bakerjd, is the Cheely grip any smaller than the BUL? 

Not really sure as I've never had a BUL steel grip in my hands. I do know the SVI grips are smaller then the Cheely grips though. 

On 7/2/2021 at 6:42 PM, texasdawg said:

Cool looking gun. I've gone to PCC in USPSA now a days, but still looking for a nice carry gun in a short gripped 2011 and this mod opens more doors.

Haha I have a cheely commander frame sitting at the shop I'm thinking of putting his new carry grip on. The one he does with the flush fit mags/base pads. I finally got to feel one at the buckeye blast this year and really liked it. Grippy but no sharp edges like a normal steel grip has. Perfect for a carry gun.

On 7/5/2021 at 10:10 PM, Bakerjd said:

Haha I have a cheely commander frame sitting at the shop I'm thinking of putting his new carry grip on. The one he does with the flush fit mags/base pads. I finally got to feel one at the buckeye blast this year and really liked it. Grippy but no sharp edges like a normal steel grip has. Perfect for a carry gun.

His carry grip is truly nice.  It's probably my favorite grip of all time.

IMG_0338.JPG