Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm full resize

Magnum P.I.

I think this may be my first post so be easy on me:)  I built a 10mm 1911 single stack to take fly fishing and just because I like the idea of a 10mm.   I am a low volume shooter and currently I am working up a kinda hot load.   I only have 1000 pc of range pick up 10mm brass.  Most of it looks fine but I am sure much of it has been fired out of a relatively loose and unsupported barrel.  My barrel is a Kart and fully supported.  Didn't want to invest in a push thu system to have confidence in my used brass so this is my plan.... Looking for input as to if anyone thinks this is a bad idea.   It is slow but like I said I am a low volume 10mm shooter. 

Pic one is before sizing at neck

2nd pic is brass before sizing at base

3rd pic is after sizing at neck with the 550 shell plate attached

4th pic is after sizing at base with 550 shell plate attached

5th pic is case in sizing die with 550 shell plate removed and die adjusted accordingly down. (lots more sizing going on)

6th pic in the tool head quickly turned upside down in the 550

7th pic is a home made ram to remove case

8th pic is ram in action

9th pics is after this full sizing process.

Yes it is slow but not too bad. A quick flip of the tool head is all it takes.   I do lube each case and the handle pressure don't seem too bad.

If I only size my brass with the 550 shell plate installed a few of the empty cases would drag a bit when dropped into the barrels chamber.   After this sizing technique all drop free.

Sure I would prefer to have a single stage press and a pass thu system :)

b4san.jpg

b4sab.jpg

asan.jpg

asab.jpg

pawi.jpg

pawiup.jpg

ram.jpg

a.jpg

aa.jpg

Hey, good idea to make what you have work for you. I’m curious about once you fire a round in your bbl can you just resize normally and have them fit? If you only have to size “other gun” fired brass in your special set up that wouldn’t be a bad thing. Once you had them all done that would be it. 

Separate your brass into same head stamps

Size all your brass piles and keep segregated 

Drop/Plunk test without loading the round to make sure it goes all the way in the chamber of your pistol. As stated you're a low volume shooter.

Throw away the stuff that doesn't go in the chamber

Go load the brass that does

2nd and much easier for a low volume shooter

Buy 500-1000 new starline cases

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 5:22 AM, jcc7x7 said:

Separate your brass into same head stamps

Size all your brass piles and keep segregated 

Drop/Plunk test without loading the round to make sure it goes all the way in the chamber of your pistol. As stated you're a low volume shooter.

Throw away the stuff that doesn't go in the chamber

Go load the brass that does

2nd and much easier for a low volume shooter

Buy 500-1000 new starline cases

Just what I do!   I will add that I will seat a bullet without primer and powder for mag and plunk test.   I will then make 5 to 10, load a mag then cycle the slide for feed and ejection test.