Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large rifle primers

Cowguy

Large rifle primers, being taller than large pistol primers will not seat below flush with the case.  This creates a potential slam fire situation.

Do not use large rifle primers in place of large pistol primers.

Edited by Guy Neill

• 4 weeks later...

I loaded up a hundred of them for my Ruger .45 Colt. They were flush in my starline brass and worked fine. Since I no longer have anything in large rifle I’ll probably use the couple thousand I have for those if I end up really needing them. I did try them in some 45acp brass but they stood a little proud so I stopped. 

Hadnt thought of that but I have more larger rifle magnum primers than my shoulder will ever handle.  Will try these in my next batch of 45C blanks. Wonder how loud they are compared to regular large pistol. 

One of the peculiarities of the  specifications is that there is overlap in the dimensions.  

A large pistol primer pocket is specified as 0.117 - 0.123 inches deep.  

A large rifle primer has a height specification of 0.123 - 0.136 inches.

Thereby, with minimum height primers and maximum deep pockets, you can get flush seated.

The caution is that the very next primer may not be minimum..

Note also that the maximum large pistol primer height is 0.126 inch, larger than the deepest large pistol primer pocket.

Odd that this sort of potential problem was not addressed many years ago.

And assuming the manufacturer's are not fudging the dimensions to ensure primers can be seated below flush.

Still, generally best not to use large rifle primers in large pistol primer pockets.