Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oldest USPSA Shooter

BadShot

31 minutes ago, BadShot said:

Being as I am well in to my Super Senior years, I was wondering who is the oldest active shooter in USPSA?  And what does he/she shoot?

I think there is an 82 year old in A8 that shoots PCC -I’ve seen him work A8 and shoot it the last 3 years.. and another in their late 70s or early 80s in SC.. he shoots revolver, PCC, limited and production..

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

There is a pretty old dude up in Michigan that shoots limited very well. What is his name Bill Chunn? I see him once a year and he is always having fun.

Remembered it. Dan Olschefski

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

Dan is still shooting and is registered for this weekend's indoor match in Carry Optics (B class) and the following weekend in Open (B class).  He has been a USPSA member since 2002 and is RO certified since 2008.  The indoor matches around here are run as "shoot by appointment" so each squad is scheduled on PractiScore at a specific time.  This controls the number of people on the range and in the waiting area.  Dan prefers the earlier squad times and is usually one of the first people in the range parking lot and always one of the first downrange to help paste targets.

A true gentleman of this sport.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

I got a local guy here that's 88. I think.  He also comes and sets up the match. Still amokes. Skinny as a bean pole. 

He shoots a cheap armscor 9mm 1911. It jams about every other stage.  He just clears it and keeps on.  

Great guy! 

42 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I got a local guy here that's 88. I think.  He also comes and sets up the match. Still amokes. Skinny as a bean pole. 

He shoots a cheap armscor 9mm 1911. It jams about every other stage.  He just clears it and keeps on.  

Great guy! 

I was gonna say I know I shot with guys in Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee who were all in their late 80s.

We have a grand gent named Marty locally who is 86. He hasn't been shooting since the Covid landed, but I'm sure he'll be back when he feels it's safe to do so. A few years ago at Area 6 he rung the bell with the highest HF at Chrono (shooting Production or Limited with a G21, IIRC). When some people started telling him he could dial down the powder a bit, he just said, "I didn't want to go minor!" Great guy and a big help.

On 12/3/2020 at 10:00 PM, Sarge said:

Yep Dan is awesome. Still resets/past's targets if we let him. Usually when I'm squaded with him we all tell him to take it easy, sometimes he does. Always fun to have him on the squad. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 5:11 AM, Ben53 said:

I'm only 67, and somewhat out of shape.  I do agree about over 80 shooting for free!!  Good to hear of others that have been able to keep on shooting, for sure.

In my IPSC section juniors and those 70 and over shoot matches for free. If I remember correctly it was raised as a motion at an AGM. 

I made it to 70 and B class with an N frame 625 Smith' 45 ACP before Agent Orange took my hands out of play and the "little" guns were allowed. Those 2 took all the fun out for me. I now do shotgun sports; only 2 shots in a row, bigger ammo for clumsy hands and no pressure for speed reloads but I'm still shooting at 74.   Molon Labe'

After June 24, 2021 I'll be in Super Senior too!  Hoping to hit the Nationals in 2022.

I've seen many an older shooter in USPSA and pray I can keep my health and vigor to perform & work as they have.  All of them have been an inspiration.

If the old gears get too sluggish I'd take more interest in Steel or maybe Bianchi.

A few clubs around my area even give a "stage setup" break to Super Seniors.  Don't think I've ever seen one take advantage of it though, seems they still like to get out and set up courses.  Most of them set up more COF's than the young hot shots.