Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor and Case Gap

Lastcat

12 minutes ago, yigal said:

The rim area of 9 is smaller than 45 and exerts more effort on it, causing crushing so it should be covered as much as possible.

Not sure what you're saying here.  9 rim is smaller, yes.  What's exerting more "effort" on it?  And what should be "covered?"

23 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Not sure what you're saying here.  9 rim is smaller, yes.  What's exerting more "effort" on it?  And what should be "covered?"

more stress on smaller area cause deformation .

if 9 mm case groove was deeper i would tune extractors  your way.

please forgive me for my🙊 English 😀

Edited by yigal

No problem.  Just trying to follow what you're saying.  I don't think the case rim is going to deform.  The amount of pressure exerted on the side of the rim is minimal, maybe a couple of pounds.  Check the OP's video above and see how the guy inserts the case on and off the breach face by hand with minimal effort.  You don't want a tight fit, just enough to keep the case there and not fall off.  It doesn't take much.  I also don't think the depth of the extractor groove is a factor.  I've easily shot several hundred thousand rounds in various guns, both 9 and 40, with the extractors set to contact the case rim and not the recess and never had a single failure. 

11 hours ago, zzt said:

They make the unconventional HD extractor and the Standard extractor.  If you had to remove material from the tensioning wall of an EGW extractor to fit, your extractor tunnel was bored incorrectly.  It is more common than you think.

Do they still make the standard?  Or was that replaced with the practical?  I kind of wonder if the fat ring in the middle of the extractor for lack of a better term keeps the pad from getting close enough to the rim.  I spent some time last night playing around with one and it took a lot of time and material removal to get it close enough to press against the rim.  Once I put a pretty good bevel aft of the hook the pad was close enough.  It didn't matter how much tension was on it because it couldn't move toward the case any closer.  Maybe Its the practical that makes it more difficult.  Anyone care to post a picture of one they have done?  Out of the slide.