Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Life or benefactor membership

nxfedlt1

Is there any benefit to one or the other? I realize it's not a wise financial decision as that same equity invested at day one at only 10% would basically be a free membership past year 1.  I tried to find the audited financials but couldn't locate them for the org. Thoughts?

I doubt there is any benefit to a life membership other than saying you're a lifer. I got the NRA lifetime membership back when they were running $300 specials ahead of one of the elections. I figured I probably am about even now but I hate how they pretty much used that 300 to mail me stuff nonstop even after multiple requests to be removed from the mailing list.

I'll probably just do yearly memberships for anything going forward as it really doesn't make any sense to do a life membership.

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

Life = never worry about it again

That's why I did it. Long ago for a minute they had a "payment option".

I did it in 3-4 payments just so I didn't have to mess with the annual renewal.

I did the life and don't regret it. Not sure if the fee structure has changed but at the time it $40/yr and $500 for the life. They had some kind of installment plan and I think I paid $125/year for 4 years.

I don't have to deal with remembering to renew and I think I did it young enough that I will save money in the end.

Dues could also increase, and I am done paying them forever.

I have some lifetime hunting licenses too. I figure as I get older eventually my income will do down and I'll be happy to not pay all kinds of fees every year. It's actually kept me from shooting IDPA because the thought of dealing with dues when I have USPSA all paid for bugs me.

Edited by bofe954

After about 3 years of shooting USPSA I knew I'd keep doing this as long as I could.  As such, a Life membership would save me money in the long run---and not having to remember to renew every year (or every three years, or whatever) was also nice. 

Higher "tiers" of membership above "Life"---I'm not really sure what the benefits are.  (I'm not saying there aren't any, I just don't know what they are.  No one has ever explained exactly what they mean in any fashion I've read.)

I'm glad I got my Life membership.  I just wish I had been able to start USPSA even earlier in my life.  :)

Benefactor membership the second half of it is a donation so you can take a tax deduction for that portion. 

Other than that, you get the cool number and a badge on your profile and a little certificate. 
- B65

2 hours ago, Hdiamond said:

Benefactor membership the second half of it is a donation so you can take a tax deduction for that portion. 

Other than that, you get the cool number and a badge on your profile and a little certificate. 
- B65

Uspsa is a 501? I'm willing to go that route if so. 

4 minutes ago, nxfedlt1 said:

Uspsa is a 501? I'm willing to go that route if so. 

Yes. 
you can see their IRS form 990 filings here:

https://www.causeiq.com/organizations/united-states-practical-shooting-association,911325053/

Additionally you can set them up as a charity for automatic payroll deductions, potentially with company matching, for many employers who use one of the standard giving platforms out there. And if you use Amazon Smile you can set it up as your charity there too. 

Just went on the USPSA web site and can't find any info on Life or Benefactor membership.  Tried the menus as well as the search function and nada.  Can't believe after all this time the site still sucks so bad.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Just went on the USPSA web site and can't find any info on Life or Benefactor membership.  Tried the menus as well as the search function and nada.  Can't believe after all this time the site still sucks so bad.

I just found it with a few clicks? You must log in first. Then it takes you to your page. Where it shows your membership expiration there is a tab under that that says renew membership. Click it and they all open up.

5 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

What’s the cost to upgrade from life to benefactor?  And do u keep ur old number or get a new one?  

I suggest reaching out to HQ directly. I am not aware of a special upgrade price available by default. 
you get a new number that starts with B. 

9 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

What’s the cost to upgrade from life to benefactor?  And do u keep ur old number or get a new one?  

10 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Doesn’t do that for me.  Maybe bc I’m already a life member. 

Probably right. Not sure about upgrading but on my screen life is $500 and Benefactor is $1000

When the B's first came out the deal was you could pick what B number you wanted as long as somebody else didn't already claim it (maybe they still do).  IIRC you could get a spiffy satin jacket too, but few did.

I got a L a long time ago just so I didn't have to mess with renewals ever again.  Plus in those days of results printouts stapled to the wall, the shorter number was much easier to find...

44 minutes ago, shred said:

When the B's first came out the deal was you could pick what B number you wanted as long as somebody else didn't already claim it (maybe they still do).  IIRC you could get a spiffy satin jacket too, but few did.

I got a L a long time ago just so I didn't have to mess with renewals ever again.  Plus in those days of results printouts stapled to the wall, the shorter number was much easier to find...

The wailing wall! Times have changed rapidly! First State match I MD’d was 2013 and we had paper. Wow!

6 hours ago, shred said:

When the B's first came out the deal was you could pick what B number you wanted as long as somebody else didn't already claim it

I don't believe that's still an option - I think I inquired about that last year and was told "no".  I wish it was still available.